Starpoint Gemini Warlords

LGMGames

Watcher
Hi RPGWatchers!

I'm a community manager for LGM Games. I've seen couple of threads here regarding Starpoint Gemini (Warlords) games but mostly tied to news. So, with an administrator's blessing, I thought I should open a thread here for general discussion about the game. :)

As you may or may not know, Starpoint Gemini Warlords is a mix of various genres: 3rd person spaceship combat, 4X strategy and RPG elements. It's been out for a year and this month we're aiming to release a big 2.0 update, which will address a lot of suggestions our players made. :D

Well, that's it! If you want to ask me some questions about the game, 2.0 update or just chat with me here, don't be shy! ;)

Attachments

• 485px-SPGW_Header.jpg
    485px-SPGW_Header.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 53
I actually just finished a round of this game a few weeks ago. It's pretty fun! BUT, you need to enjoy all the aspects of it. If you just look at is as an RPG then it will be terribly weak. If you're in the mood for a new 4X game, this isn't going to cut it. This is a lightweight RPG plus a lightweight space combat game plus a lightweight 4X game plus some good exploration to boot. As long as you let all the parts stand on each other's shoulders they will add up to a good, solid game.

Sometimes the seams between the genres are a little odd. One thing that seemed weird to me is that my fleet's ships were built by my nation's HQ using the nation's resources but, as commander of that fleet, I had to buy my own ship with my own money. Though it turns out to be kinda nice as you can buy any ship any nation is willing to sell to you - or any you can capture.

It's also pretty. Not even remotely scientific but plenty pretty!

Oh - one thing I meant to ask on the Steam boards but never got around to it…. Is the 2.0 release going to change how often the player is asked to send out civilian ships? That got fairly annoying at the current rate.

I actually just finished a round of this game a few weeks ago. It's pretty fun! BUT, you need to enjoy all the aspects of it. If you just look at is as an RPG then it will be terribly weak. If you're in the mood for a new 4X game, this isn't going to cut it. This is a lightweight RPG plus a lightweight space combat game plus a lightweight 4X game plus some good exploration to boot. As long as you let all the parts stand on each other's shoulders they will add up to a good, solid game.

Thanks! We're trying. And yes, the game is envisioned as a mix of genres rather than focusing on one point. :)

Oh - one thing I meant to ask on the Steam boards but never got around to it…. Is the 2.0 release going to change how often the player is asked to send out civilian ships? That got fairly annoying at the current rate.

In what way? Were those events too frequent or too rare for you?

BTW, that screenshot Zloth posted was featured on our official Twitter channel. ;)

In what way? Were those events too frequent or too rare for you?
Too frequent! By a factor of at least 3!

Also, especially in the first half of the game, it seemed like there were always just enough missions for them that they could complete all of them before new missions appeared. If I had, say, 9 civ fleets and the missions had just reset then I would open up the map and pick out missions for 9 fleets at random - skipping the high risk ones. Five (?) minutes later, those would complete and I would pick out 9 more. Another five minutes and it was time to pick again but now there were only a few left so I would have fleets leftover.

The practical upshot of that was that it didn't matter which missions I picked. I would have time to get to all the ones that weren't extra dangerous before new ones appeared. That helped it turn into tedium because I didn't have to think about my choices at all. I didn't even bother to learn what some of the rewards were for things like survey and derelict missions until near the end of the game! Why bother if I'm going to do them regardless?

Trading, especially level 2 trading, changed all that. At least when I wanted to do some trading.

"Lightweight" is a pretty good way to describe SGII.

* The combat took no real skill.
* There was not much to the story.
* There were only a few stats to level up.
* The solar system was cute and "minified".

Basically the game was was overly streamlined and not very deep.

There were some cool stuff like IIRC three or four different ways to travel across Space.

Update 2.0 is out.

Here's what's new in the game:

Diplomacy

- it works both ways. AI ambassadors will be able to contact you first, make demands, threats or offer help
- neutral or allied factions might even declare war on you, depending on your actions
- of course, if you've been especially nice to them, they could ask you to be an ally
- they might also offer to help you to recover a part of lost fleet or a station
- Proxima research and development will influence other's faction opinion about you. Some factions will feel threatened and ask you to stop, others might strategically ally with you

Improvements for game controllers

- scrolling with the controller on Info menu list is now available
- RECORDS Bonuses can now be scrolled with the controller
- Press View button on the controller to reveal hints on Starchart

Hints for new players

- hint for Command Points on Starchart
- hint for SuperCapital Ship on Starchart
- hint for Civilian tasks on Starchart
- hints for FOW, Camera and Select modes on small HUD icons added (previously available only on the mouse)
- hint on Trader menu for Double-click and Shift-click options added
-hint on a station; it says Toggle Station Interface instead of Toggle Station HUD

The rest

- NEW GAME Story Campaign and FREEROAM modes are now separated, if you're playing Vanilla game or any DLC, except Cycle of Warfare
- SHIPBUILDING interface button is disabled until you obtain a Hangar Level 1 in HQ, with an explanation why
- wormhole civilian tasks are improved on align change
- fixed and re-added troopers menu
- improved font readability in certain cases (better kerning)

Fixes

- fixed GPU related causes of crashes, especially on weaker GPUs
- fixed one small memory leak
- fixed a cause of performance drain in script system affecting long play sessions
- fixed several minor visual glitches
- fixed several Mod problems + improved output warnings and errors caused by mods

If you have any questions about the game or the new update, don't be a stranger in this thread. ;)

Hi guys,

We’ll be short and sweet. On August 9 we are releasing a final Starpoint Gemini Warlords DLC which finishes the story.

The DLC basically brings a fresh storyline, story branching, more than six hours of new gameplay, a new faction, new ships, new characters, increased replayability as a result of multiple choices when accepting some story missions, and more.

We’ll publish more details on Thursday :)

Back
Top Bottom