What are you reading?

Rendezvous with Rama. Or rather i'm listening to it, for the 3rd time. I love how nerdy Arthur C. Clarke can be with details.

The River God by Wilbur Smith. I have a big interest for ancient Egypt right now, plowing through documentaries, googling stuff, reading books :) Just started with this so not sure what to expect yet ;)

The River God by Wilbur Smith. I have a big interest for ancient Egypt right now, plowing through documentaries, googling stuff, reading books :)
Wilbur Smith is one the best historical fiction writers. Have you ever read any of Bernard Cornwell, Gary Jennings, or Conn Iggulden books? If not I recommend them.

This site lists historical fiction books by period.

Link - http://www.historicalnovels.info/

Wilbur Smith is one the best historical fiction writers. Have you ever read any of Bernard Cornwell, Gary Jennings, or Conn Iggulden books? If not I recommend them.

This site lists historical fiction books by period.

Link - http://www.historicalnovels.info/

Good to hear. I found this book by googling "best books about ancient Egypt", then i read reviews on GoodReads.

Thanks for the link, will look it up! I'm a bit familiar with Iggulden, my father loves that author and he's been recommending him. After i'm finished with Rama i will listen to The Gates of Rome by this author.

The Ten Realms

The Ten Realms series by Michael Chatfield. This is portal fantasy/litrpg. This series stars two combat vets, one a sniper and one a medic. When the medic is almost killed he catches this virus that makes him start seeing game-like screens. His buddy is also infected and after two weeks both are transported to a new world where these screens are part of every day life.

The 10 realms are basically ladders that people can climb to become more powerful in the world in their various professions. Both guys work as healers and the sniper takes ranged weapons and smithing. The medic takes mana growth along with much more advanced healing.

Their adventures will lead them into areas of crafting and building and leadership roles. Read the first book and it was decent, so bought the second one a couple seconds ago.

Back to it.

I finished the One Tree last night, probably the tenth time or so that I've read that book. It is just as thrilling as the first time I read it, which is close to forty years ago, now. Next on my list to complete the second trilogy will be White Gold Wielder, and after that I'll likely reread the more recently released final four books. The One Tree always stands out for me because out of all ten books, this is the only one that takes place fully outside of the Land.

Hi, if someone likes fantasy, I advise you to read «The Kingkiller Chronicle», by Patrick Ruffus. The last book is not yet, but the previous ones are quite voluminous and last for a long time. Wildly liked the series and replenishment, read alternately 2 times already in anticipation of the last part)

If you scrolled back a few pages, you'll find my absolute love for the Kingkiller Chronicles. Two of the best books I've ever read, and I'm eagerly awaiting the third novel, it's been quite a wait!

Am about to say Hi to Spider Robinson's work.
Any recommendations to start with?

Am about to say Hi to Spider Robinson's work.
Any recommendations to start with?

Classic place to start is “Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon”

Will it spoil my reading pleasure if I've played (and liked!) the game adaptation?

I don't know I haven't played the game.

If you like point'n'click adventure games, give it a whirl.
Started reading the book, and the game captures the feel of the book really well.

I finished White Gold Wielder yesterday, I know I tend to drag out the Donaldson books just to savor the ending even more. Still such a great series, these ten books have and will continue to be prominent on my book shelves. Next up is Runes of the Earth, this series of four books I've only read twice, so the enjoyment might even be high since I don't fully recall each nuance clearly.

Just started issue#13 of Preacher. I haven't seen the show yet - how faithful is it? Consider that in other threads I have talked about how much it pisses me off when an adaptation deviates from the source.

Yesterday I completed Runes of the Earth, the first in the final four books of Donaldson's Land series. These books are the least read by me, as they are all rather recent releases, and I'm still discovering new things each time I read through these. I do miss Covenant as the prime protagonist, but the horde of secondary characters are enough to keep anyone busy. Later today I'll start the second book, Fatal Revenant.

Daughters of the Samurai: A Journey from East to West and Back
by Janice P. Nimura

In 1871, five young girls were sent by the Japanese government to the United States. Their mission: learn Western ways and return to help nurture a new generation of enlightened men to lead Japan.

Back
Top Bottom