Dragon Age 2 - Retrospective @Hihu

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Hihu looks back at Dragon Age 2 and asks if it still holds up.

Dragon Age II is an action role-playing video game developed by BioWare released in March 2011 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and OS X. but after all this time how dos it hold up almost 6 years on?
More information.

It didn't look like AAA title back then, especially doesn't look like it today.

It's not when, it's where.
It held up on Escapist Magazine where it earned 10/10.

Nope,nope and nope.
If the name of the game where something different,then it might pass.

Played a few hours at friends place...we both got so disgusted with the game,we could not even play anything for 2 weeks. It just killed it for us.

On the positive side...a bit more social interaction. :)

The game did score some funny memes:

da2ot-05.jpg

The review was pretty decent; his concerns were with elements that mattered, rather than some of the lame reasons I've seen given. To me it's an average console-style game that could have been better. I once hoped that mods would give it a serious boost, but that never developed.

I completed DA2 twice (~50 hours each playthrough) after completing 2 playthroughs of DA:O.

DA2 was very competent and enjoyable in its own way: story was very good, characters where unique and joy to work with, plenty of choices and consequences, brilliant combat, beautiful art direction, and high production values - only exception as already mentioned is recycling of assets in dungeons. But this is minor compared to the array of other solid features in the game.

DA2 was very competent and enjoyable in its own way: story was very good, characters where unique and joy to work with, plenty of choices and consequences, brilliant combat, beautiful art direction, and high production values - only exception as already mentioned is recycling of assets in dungeons. But this is minor compared to the array of other solid features in the game.

Brilliant combat? :thinking:

Brace yourself for this thread!

OMG! You don't mean... no... oh dear, not AGAIN... oh but, do we have to have any more Spiderman pictures, I'm not sure I could bare any more of that innate sense of smug superiority that those things put out. Oh well, consider me braced :(

I'd think you'd be more appreciative of people with a low bar for quality. :biggrin:

Yes, very visceral RTwP combat: feedback, damage effects, fast, sound effects, varied abilities, fatalities, varied enemies, challenging (played on hard), strategic.

For me the main drawback was the lack of positional advantage. One just could not hold a line; the opponents leaked through it like a sieve. That, for me, ruined the tactical flavor. Other than that though, yes the combat system was decent.

Back
Top Bottom