What 4x should I play?

Of course, I also forgot Dominions 4.

If you can stomach games that look like the art was outsourced to a kindergarten and in which you have to imagine most of what you're doing, as it's mostly text-based - then it's actually a very, very deep and satisfying game.

I tried Dom 4 but I need more control of my battles. Could not get into it. People really do love that game and I did like the empire building of it.

What about Gal Civ 2? I haven't tried the third one, but I lost hundreds of hours in GC2. It's my favorite 4X to day.

What about Gal Civ 2? I haven't tried the third one, but I lost hundreds of hours in GC2. It's my favorite 4X to day.

Just bought #3 and Homeworld HD collection. Still deciding if I want Endless Space or not. Picked up Stellaris, but not the expansions. I'm going to experiment with a few base games, see what I like before I invest in DLC. I own Endless Legend & expansions. I also own Age of Wonders 3, though I find it less than compelling for some reason. What I am really feeling like is a space sim. Something with 4x gameplay, and lots of alien races - with more than superficial differences, and HUGE tech trees, preferably. I love Master of Orion, and my second fav of the turn-based genre is HoMM 3, so I'm set - except no natural successor to MoO 1-2 on modern systems. HALP!

Conquest of Elysium 3 is pretty neat. Still have to get more into it + the Dominions series.

Stellaris because as with every Paradox game it will be supported and updated for a long time.
As all their game it is also highly modable so there is plenty of added content from spaceships to complete settings like Starwars, Warhammer 40K and so on..

Endless Space 2 is a very good evolution on Endless Space too.

Hmph. Sword of the Stars Complete is having issues on Steam. The DRM has stopped working right so the keys Steam hands out aren't valid! There's a sticky topic in the discussion area that has a key that will work until they can get a version without DRM. GOG's version should be fine but it isn't on sale right now. You would have to pay the whole <gasp> ten dollars!

I tried getting into Eador Genesis but it didn't work properly on my system, and it looked like complete ass.
That isn't necessarily bad. Who's ass are we talking about here? :devil:

Stellaris because as with every Paradox game it will be supported and updated for a long time.
As all their game it is also highly modable so there is plenty of added content from spaceships to complete settings like Starwars, Warhammer 40K and so on..

Just saw today a Star Trek mod, huge...

I'll add in another vote for Stellaris. I wouldn't say it's a 4x pur sang, as it's definitely a Paradox game. Grand strategy on a galactic scale. :)

Just saw today a Star Trek mod, huge…

I have that one installed, but have yet to give it a spin. I'm waiting for a few more releases before I dive in.

I'll add in another vote for Stellaris. I wouldn't say it's a 4x pur sang, as it's definitely a Paradox game. Grand strategy on a galactic scale. :)

Well, you eXplore, then eXpand, then eXploit and eXterminate, what's not 4x about it?

I finally bought Stellaris. I really got burnt on DLC, because I forgot to buy the deluxe. Gonna pick up the last piece of DLC Wednesday. In the meantime, there's Gal Civ and Endless Legend to keep me happy.

Well, you eXplore, then eXpand, then eXploit and eXterminate, what's not 4x about it?

Yes, of course. I said it wasn't a 4x "pur sang", because I feel it has more roleplay to it than a regular 4x. Those first 3 X's, for sure, but the 4th not necessarily. It depends on how you choose to play your race, and what goals you set yourself.

I finally bought Stellaris. I really got burnt on DLC, because I forgot to buy the deluxe. Gonna pick up the last piece of DLC Wednesday. In the meantime, there's Gal Civ and Endless Legend to keep me happy.

With Paradox games you don't need the DLCs, you can play the game just fine as it comes (and in fact, many times I recommend the first game to be with DLCs disabled). I know in other games you need the expansions because they fix things, but Paradox games are updated automatically without having to buy anything. Each DLC adds more mechanics, which just adds to the learning curve. Stellaris' learning curve is very mild compared to the other Paradox strategy games, but still, you can enjoy your first game just fine 'vanilla'.

What 4x should I play?

You should try Alpha Centauri if you hadn't.

With Paradox games you don't need the DLCs, you can play the game just fine as it comes (and in fact, many times I recommend the first game to be with DLCs disabled). I know in other games you need the expansions because they fix things, but Paradox games are updated automatically without having to buy anything. Each DLC adds more mechanics, which just adds to the learning curve. Stellaris' learning curve is very mild compared to the other Paradox strategy games, but still, you can enjoy your first game just fine 'vanilla'.

Well, not really. The majority of DLC is released separate from the corresponding patches.

I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule, but most games definitely get the "fixes" for free.

As for Paradox, I think their DLC scheme is just absurd. I find it amazing that people bother buying any of their games at launch as they're famously incomplete and halfway broken every single time.

Well, not really. The majority of DLC is released separate from the corresponding patches.

I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule, but most games definitely get the "fixes" for free.

As for Paradox, I think their DLC scheme is just absurd. I find it amazing that people bother buying any of their games at launch as they're famously incomplete and halfway broken every single time.

I very much disagree with that statement. What was the last Paradox game you played at release? This was the case maybe 8 years ago or so, but since CK2 you get a fully complete and playable game at release, one you can play and enjoy for hundreds of hours (I know I have). DLCs usually add more mechanics, so you could play as, say China with the normal game mechanics, or buy the 'Mandate of Heaven' DLC which adds country-specific mechanics like the Mandate of Heaven empire rules, for example.

I very much disagree with that statement. What was the last Paradox game you played at release? This was the case maybe 8 years ago or so, but since CK2 you get a fully complete and playable game at release, one you can play and enjoy for hundreds of hours (I know I have). DLCs usually add more mechanics, so you could play as, say China with the normal game mechanics, or buy the 'Mandate of Heaven' DLC which adds country-specific mechanics like the Mandate of Heaven empire rules, for example.

Stellaris and Hearts of Iron 4.

Back
Top Bottom