Prey

Oh the bouncing ball through the maze. LOL!
That's the one. I got hack 1 but I think I'll stop there.

Actually, I might stop spending on skills completely for a while. I need to make that "do I go alien" decision.

You can have a 'home base'? Does that mean there's going to be a way to store my stuff somewhere that won't vanish after a few hours?

Don't want to spoil anything, but you can set up just about anywhere.

There's just one obvious and convenient spot. Lots of nearby containers, a recycler, and a fabricator, and a hub to many other zones. The price to pay are the nearby respawns, which can be avoided (recommended). Who doesn't mind a little excitement everytime you come home. ;) A few turrets in the area too if you want some defense.

Everything stays where you put it. No matter where. Unless that area undergoes catastrophic changes, and stuff floats away, or gets moved by explosions or other physical forces…

It's one of the game's most lovely features. :)

What the... how did I get the "Best Served Cold" achievement for killing Luka? First, I didn't kill him, I stunned him. He's unconscious and sleeping like a baby, already strapped in to an escape pod. Second, his name isn't Luka, it's William. Was there some other Luka involved that I didn't notice?

What the… how did I get the "Best Served Cold" achievement for killing Luka? First, I didn't kill him, I stunned him. He's unconscious and sleeping like a baby, already strapped in to an escape pod. Second, his name isn't Luka, it's William. Was there some other Luka involved that I didn't notice?

He was lying about who he was. There were a lot of subtle hints as to his real identity.

Any action that kills or stuns him gives you the same achievment, and iirc it doesn't count as killing a survivor.

I've actually still got the quest to kill him off! Oh well. I'm also pretty certain I earned the kill-5-mimics-in-5-seconds achievement but couldn't get credit for it. (Maybe recycling them doesn't count? Or maybe greater mimics don't count?)

I had a heck of a time going into that zone where you need a voice print to get in. I went in and the door locked behind me! Ooops - OK, re-load and do a few other things I wanted to get finished back in the Lobby. Then go back in again and… NIGHTMARE! The door was locked behind me so I couldn't get back out that way and the only other way out of the room was through the nightmare. Fine. Die, re-load, try again… nightmare again. And again. Load from further back and do a few things here and there to try and move any random number generator further along… still there.

I ended up spending many hours just exploring parts of the station I hadn't been led to yet. There's LOTS of stuff in there and lots of little quests - including some that really make a difference instead of just awarding you with a couple more neuromods. When I finally got around to looking at the main quest again, the nightmare had slinked off.

The game got a lot better once I finally put in some alien neuromods. I should have done that a long time ago - turrets be damned. The things aren't much good against anything except mimics anyway.

Any action that kills or stuns him gives you the same achievment, and iirc it doesn't count as killing a survivor.
It didn't - I got the achievement for not killing any humans and for completing with max empathy. However, the guy was nagging me for quite a while even though he was knocked out! I even went back down there and he was still snoozing away in his chair. Arkane just flat out fumbled that one.

Overall, I liked the game quite a bit. The only thing that hurt it was the respawns. As I think I said before, it was cool when the respawns were more powerful than what was there at the start but then it started respawning exactly the same thing every time I zoned a couple of times. That was not good at all. But then it seemed to stop doing the respawning!? Or at least it got quite a bit rarer, despite me running around the station a lot more.

The game was rather easy, too. I ended up with 43 neuromods, enough materials that I could have built another 40, lots of grenades, weapon upgrade kits, psi boosters, plenty of ammo for everything, and about 100 food.

I liked the story quite a bit, though, and the gameplay was great! The level design was excellent - it felt reasonable instead of a lot of contrived silliness to make sure there were always 2+ ways to do everything. Most of all, it was fun!

I agree about the neuromods, and I voiced the exact same complaint when I was playing. There are too many and they're too easy to acquire.

I still found Prey to be a decent challenge though, but I also played on the harder difficulty. It's definitely a game I'll replay in the future.

How did you like the much maligned hacking mini game (which is supposed to be easier with a controller)?
Hated it at first but it wasn't too bad after I got better at it. You have to use a light touch. However, I never tried anything higher than Hacker 2.

Come to think of it, the only tree I maxed out was strength and I didn't do that until toward the end of the game. That's probably why I had so many leftover neuromods. I never bought any of the big ticket items!

Ah, I maxed everything (except alien neuromods, I avoided those except for the mimic one) and also had spare neuromods up the wazoo at the end. But I had tons of other stuff too.

Back
Top Bottom