Risen No quest info in Journal

I think TTIWWP!

—-

Last edited:
@ Omega: I just google'd a little and it seems like Ambient Occlusion is only supported on Vista machines but not Windows XP systems like yours. Sorry about causing you extra work and worries :blush: .

I tink I saw a Hotbit, I did, I did see a HotBit!

And another one, and another one… Gosh, I've got HotBits!
Pictures?
*Omega takes snapshot*

HotBits.jpg

@Moriendor: no prob, no sweat. :) :kiss:

Omega, I have the exact same graphics card that you do, the NVidia 9800GTX, also using XP, 4 Gigs RAM, everything same except that you have a quad core CPU and I've still only got a duo, (the E8400 @3Ghz), and I can see the text in my quest log.

I've been bitten before, though, by fiddling too much with my grafix crd settings, and these days I've got my Nvidia panel settings on "default" and I've set it that individual game's settings get preference (in other words, I don't override them)

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention that to you, since I have the exact same card as yourself, and am also still using XP. :)

If you want to, I could try and help you by checking out what my settings are, but I just want to know if you tried simply setting your settings on "default" (Silly question, I know, but one often has to start with silly q's first)

Yep, it's the Large Fonts setting all right. Ouch. Now all I have to do is reboot before and after every play session. Or I guess I could {shudder} reduce my desktop size down a bunch. I don't have to run it at 2048x1536...

This topic isn't popping up on Google yet so I'm going to re-describe with an eye to key words...

When you bring up the journal with the (default) L key, it is blank. Empty. No icons, no text, no nothing. There are some scroll bars on the right side but they indicate that the whole page is displayed. The journal's quest map won't display because there's no way to click on a quest item, trainer, or anything else. Without a working journal, Risen starts getting to be a pain fast - especially if you've got a detective quest.

To fix this in Vista, just right click on your desktop and select Personalize. The option is on the left side of that first dialog box. It requires admin rights and a reboot, I'm afraid. (Normally, you turn the option on when you first set up your PC then leave it alone forever.)

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention that to you, since I have the exact same card as yourself, and am also still using XP. :)

If you want to, I could try and help you by checking out what my settings are, but I just want to know if you tried simply setting your settings on "default" (Silly question, I know, but one often has to start with silly q's first)

Sweet of you, RivianWitch, to offer your help with the NVidia settings, but fortunately everything's working fine now. I guess you missed this one:

It worked, it worked! There's text in the Journal! I can see the current quests and the quests I have completed, and the trainers I've met, and… Oh, I'm so excited. You should be made Deep Silver/Piranha Bytes employee of the month! :)

I have XP. Here's what I changed:
Settings > Control Panel > Display > Appearance > Font Size: set to Normal*. It had immediate effect. No logging off or restart was necessary, but I'm the only user.

*Font size used to be large.

Back to Nvidia.

I've been bitten before, though, by fiddling too much with my grafix crd settings, and these days I've got my Nvidia panel settings on "default" and I've set it that individual game's settings get preference (in other words, I don't override them)

I don't know exactly whether my present settings are default or not. Like you I have a slight dislike changing them. During my Risen trouble I created an override specifically for Risen. Although it did not change anything this time, I'll remember that option next time.

Thanks again for offering your help.

So this problem is solved?

yes - there are two workarounds:

a) change the desktop resolution, before starting the game

or

b) change the windows font size from large to normal

No, changing the resolution does nothing. Only option b works. (Though you may want to change your desktop resolution if you turn off large fonts.)

Yes and no, Gorath. Yes, there's text in my Risen Journal now, but no, I would hate to see this issue not being dealt with. I prefer a larger font size when I'm not playing Risen. Lucky me, I do not have to reboot, but apparantly Vista users need to reboot every time they change the font size. So a patch would be most welcome I think.

Well, so far nothing works for me.

I got win XP.
I have the newest drivers for Nvidia

I have been trying to chance font sizes, I had/have default font size at 100% but tried to change it bigger and back to 100%
= not working

I have changed resolution in game and in windows
= not working

anyone got any new solution? its quite hard to solve the treasure hunt quest, cos I cant see the map where the locations are.

You can try to change the destop theme to "windows classic".

Perza - You may have to cycle thru the resolutions a couple times in-game, at least thats the way it seems to work for me. For as long as i'm playing or until they fix it we're gonna have to deal w/ this. To get the quest journal going, I have to

1- switch desktop setting to crummy "windows classic", and font sizes to default. Which sucks, as my high rez thing going on I crank all fonts up and the win95 looking interface has all the allure of, well, win95.

2 -cycle from minimum rez, to mid-rez, to max in the game, then back to whatever I'm using.

That works every time, eventually....

Yes and no, Gorath. Yes, there's text in my Risen Journal now, but no, I would hate to see this issue not being dealt with. I prefer a larger font size when I'm not playing Risen. Lucky me, I do not have to reboot, but apparantly Vista users need to reboot every time they change the font size. So a patch would be most welcome I think.
I suppose there IS a solution. Set your font size to your favorite size.
Then right click Risen.exe icon.
Go to "Compatibility" tab.
Click "Disable Visual Themes" check-box and put a tick next to it:
untitled.jpg

Check if it works.

I suppose there IS a solution. Set your font size to your favorite size.
Then right click Risen.exe icon.
Go to "Compatibility" tab.
Click "Disable Visual Themes" check-box and put a tick next to it:
(…)
Check if it works.

After finishing the game some days ago I reset the font size to large. Without changing my present settings I loaded several saved games and it seems to work, yes. All info in Journal, including the Quest Map, is visible. Thanks, blackcanopus. Wish I had known this sooner, it's such a fine solution! Simple things usually are best. :)

An even easier solution would be for PB to fix the bug!

Omega
You're welcome, and sorry I was late.
At least this will be available for the people who will encounter that problem in the future.

You can try to change the destop theme to "windows classic".

Thx so much, I have played 20 hours without any quest list and it was soo annoing, changing all the windows themes in XP to look like an windows 2000 worked.

I tried to change resolutions some 60 times and changing fonts and everything, but nothing. Though there was no solution for my problem :D

checking that box in shortcut didn't help, but thanks for advises! :)

So, the problem is solved from my part then. Thank you guys!

Back
Top Bottom