John Wick Hex - Strategy Game at E3

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PCMag reports on John Wick Hex at E3 and like its style of strategic assasinations.

Like its name implies, John Wick Hex is a hex-based strategy game. Everything takes place in environments defined by hex-shaped tiles, with only a single object or character occupying a tile at a time. The hex structure determines everything from line of sight to enemy positioning, providing forward and backward movement and four diagonal directions from any orientation.

At first glance, John Wick Hex looks like a turn-based strategy game. Without doing anything, the game is completely frozen as it awaits commands. The game doesn't use discrete turns, nor does it play in real time. Instead, every movement and action has a set amount of time it takes to execute, which is shown on a timeline at the top of the screen.

[...]
More information.

I hope it will not feature any dogs that get killed. Brutal stuff, that.

The UI looks cluttered and the game play seems disjointed and slower than actual turn based. it's pausing every 2 seconds you don't get to see anything unfold.

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems terrible.

This looks really interesting to me. It does look like a cool way to translate the movie sequences to a game. Personally I like the UI... not so crazy about the flat cell graphics. Worth keeping an eye on - and kudos to them for trying something a bit different with a fairly big IP.

I'm intrigued. I'll take a good look at this one. I was pleasantly surprised by the movie, too.

Bloody hell, I was expecting for something Max Payne-like.
Don't you guys have enough TB fun playing Bingo? :p

Turn-based John Wick? That kind of defeats the whole purpose, doesn't it?

You guys should watch the video. The dev actually explains quite well why he thinks his system is interesting, why he thinks the movies are interesting and how those two seemingly disparate things are similar. :)

John Wick and strategy in the same sentence seems like an oxymoron. :)

Wiping out the entire compound with a toothpick and a hairband is a strategy.
Not a very good one, but its a strategy.

Back
Top Bottom