Bizarre Dos Game Problem (JA1)

Arpyjee

Watchdog
Bizarre DOS-BOX Game Problem (JA1)

I haven't had much difficulty running my old DOS game faves. But this is baffling me.

I have Jagged Alliance 1 starting well, sound test complete, all is well. It starts the intro, with the view of soldiers and the explosion, then it cuts to the 3 character faces, and proceeds into running the credits extremely slow. At no time can I hit esc or any other button to exit this introduction-to-credits sequence. The credits don't just run slowly, they crawl at a snail's pace.

Does anyone have any idea or insight as to what could be done ? I've tried 100's of combinations for setting tweaks, and nothing affects the abovementioned pattern.

Btw, I have (and am using) Dos-Box, as well as D-Fend and VDM sound. I have tried and done all the essential steps which have given me a 95% success rate in running dozens of DOS games.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Have you tried putting the processor cycles to a higher rate ?

I had a similar problem with aother DOS game - on pure Win98SE-DOS. I mean the DOS that's underlying Windows98SE.

In DOSBOX, I had no problems with it, at least when I turned the cycles to a higher rate.

I can only think of the emultion slowing it down at one point. I mean the graphical emulation.

Other than that, I have no idea.

Maybe you might find answers on the official DOSBOX forum ?

Yes, I've tried every possible basic tweak solution. I've adjusted the cycles to every possible setting, incrementally higher, higher yet, highest, and even lower. None of those common tweaks work (as they do for all my other dosbox game situations).

Back
Top Bottom