KotOR 2 - The Mod Awakens

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Gamepressure tells the story about how a modder helped to recreate the content of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II and reinvigorate the game.

The developers realized that the game will need to be seriously cut, but they didn’t have much of a choice. However, what did not end up in the game, was not lost forever… not long after the release, it became clear that the game contains lots of code fragments and assets that refer to – theoretically – non-existent areas, characters or quests. Today, 10 years after the release date, KotOR II is still alive, and it’s mainly because of those “deleted” fragments, that the community of fans was able to retrieve. The most famous modification, The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod, put the game back on its tracks and gave it a form that the creators wanted it to have in the first place. It’s not possible to count how many changes were made in the original, but because of those changes the game is currently in a fantastic condition. We need to be thankful to a small group of people, without whom there would be no point in talking about KotOR II; now, some people even say that the sequel is as good as the original game.
More information.

More information.

Still one of the best mods for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II. A modder is also working on a mod for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic called KotOR 1 Restoration.

Link - http://www.nexusmods.com/kotor/mods/54/?

yup. nice

*sigh* My second ever RPG… :)

Did they ever fix the last dungeon and the ending? It was just a big empty space full of enemies and I heard something was cut from the ending and that's why cutscenes made no sense and it wasn't finished. But something tells me these two things weren't fixable.

Do you know if this mod is compatible with Steam version of KotOR 1 ?

You can get the mod from Steam Workshop with no hassle at all. <= regarding the restoration mod for KotOR II

I played the game to completion many years ago and thought I give it another try with the restored content mod when it arrived on Steam. The strory and chars are still great, but sadly it retains its greatest weakness: very bad combat. It's just too easy and hack n' slashy even on the hardest difficulty. Since half the game is combat I gave up after about 20 hours me thinks.

Still a game everybody should play. I would recommend to use the easiest difficulty and concentrate on the story.

Do you know if this mod is compatible with Steam version of KotOR 1 ?
It should be as most mods are, but I'm using the GOG version to play it.:)

Awesome news. It's a good excuse to start playing again.

Ah ok. I didn't know KotOR 1 had a significant amount of cut content.
It had some cut content but not as much as KotOR II.

Here is the fix list from the latest patch.

Most of the content that can be restored has been. This includes content for literally every planet.

- Impossible Difficulty, a cut option for difficulty that is harder than the Vanilla "Hard" difficulty
- Carth dialogue when the PC first awakens on Taris, Carth makes a few comments about the PC's injuries. (Thanks to zbyl2 for this!)
- Lower City, numerous restorations to the Lower City
- Under City, numerous restorations to the Under City
- Restoration of the Black Vulkar Base Sublevel
- Restored Droid Items
- Restoration of some dialgoue with Niklos in the Uppper City Cantina
- Restoration of the Duel Ring announcer in the Taris Upper City Cantina. The announcer will be available to speak to in between fights.
- Zaerdra Swoop Platform Dialogue, Zaerdra will make some final comments to the PC on the prototype accelerator before intitiating your first run with it
- Sith Base, numerous restorations
- Sarna and Yun Genda are available to talk to members of the same sex and can be used to further the plot of Taris. Albeit, in different ways than they normally do.
- Iriaz Restoration, returns the Iriaz to the plains of Dantooine. (Thanks to Seamhiann for this!)
- Garrum and Tar'eelok Restoration, returns a cut padawan and master to the Jedi Enclave. (Thanks to Seamhiann for this!)
- Restoration of cut items within the Jedi Enclave
- Shen and Rahashia Indecent Proposal, the PC can make a rather indecent, and awkward, proposal to either Shen or Rahasia depending upon the PC's gender.
- The file called plc_glowpudl.utp had the name of "Glowing Puddle" however when placed in game it looked like a blood puddle. The model file and textures have been changed so now the glowing puddle placeable makes a glowing puddle of green liquid. It can be seen in the new module, tar_m03ac, or the swoop platform non-racing version.
- Modified Iriaz from Seamhiann's modules so there were less of them, they fought against the Kath Hounds, and usually stayed in their small areas.
- Restored Crattis dialogue to sell lightsaber crystals.
- A swathe of Jawa-work on Tatooine.
- Restored dialogue with Bastila's Mother.
- Restored shape-shifting for Genoharadan Rulan on Kashyyk.
- Pazaak Tournament on Manaan.
- Restored Party Dialogue on Sea Floor.
- Alternate way into Sith Base on Manaan.
- Funny dialogue with bartender on Korriban.
- Alternate route on Leviathan.
- Goodies on Unknown World, including restored Injured Sith Apprentice.
- Restored Female Dark Side Ending.
- Restored the True Form of the Sith Armor Quest on Taris

Personally, I've always thought KotOR was overrated. Never played KotOR 2.

I'd like to replay KotOR to see if my opinion has changed over time, but with my backlog…

It's not bad...simply unexceptional in my opinion, few side quests aside.
Bioware has improved quite a bit in ME, at least when it comes to dialogue writing, ...first Kotor had too many "was this written by a child?" moments.
Kotor II has a less compact/straightforward main story, but dialogue, characters, much more interesting take on SW themes/lore, atmosphere, roleplaying...well above it. Plus Kelly Hu companion, eh? ;)
Like VTMB, it improved a lot with time and mods.

I'd like to replay KotOR to see if my opinion has changed over time, but with my backlog…

Both are pretty good.... for me the first holds sweeter memories but both are very nice

KotOR WAS overrated. The story was very good, however, and playing an RPG in the Star Wars universe for a fan was just so much fun, but that game is seriously flawed. The combat is ridiculously easy and it didn't make much of a difference which class you played. While you can visit the worlds in any order, every location felt extremely small. Had the entire game taken place in one large city, it would have been much better. And the main story was excellent but some of the writing and side quests were questionable.

KoTOR 2 still had fairly easy combat, though I recall it being improved over the 1st game's, but the story and writing was definitely better and made it worth playing.

I would definitely recommend the 2nd over the 1st for anyone who hasn't played, and the difficulty should be on HARD.

I just found KOTOR really, really boring. Even from a Star Wars fan perspective. I got to the point of literally sleep-inducing tedium quite some hours in and I hadn't even seen a lightsabre yet, let alone any other Star Wars comparison. It was just grey corridor trudging, everything looked plain and drab, level-up was uninteresting and anti-climactic, combat a snoozefest, companions unremarkable etc.

kotorgameplay.jpg

^ I demand more grey please… ^

KOTOR-knights-of-the-old-republic-468198_400_300.jpg

^ I demand more faceless generic nobodies forced upon me please ^

While you can visit the worlds in any order, every location felt extremely small. Had the entire game taken place in one large city, it would have been much better.
The first city\planet was huge. But then you could see locations shrinking and shrinking… That amused me. As if they were enthusiastic when they started, but the enthusiasm didn't carry on. Although we can be cynical and say that at first they didn't realize they've got less time for level design that they believed to have :)

I'm glad that I played KOTORs many years ago. If they were released now, I'd probably find them rather mediocre and slightly boring and would see all their flaws clearly. But for their time the games were quite cool. I even replayed both of them, which I rarely do with games. Nice memories.

Back
Top Bottom