What games are you playing now?

Okay, Dishonored doesn't REALLY use Undying Remembrance Dungeons (as LoL3 had a LoL1 Remembrance Dungeon), but … well, you will see what I mean should you decide to play it :). While the
Outsider level/s
were indeed quite reminiscent of
the Oneiros level
, some of the game mechanics reminded me of Undying as well. The ambient sounds and music reminded me more of Arx Fatalis, while the overall game mechanics were soooo Thief. And the Overseers were so Metal Age (at least in looks) that I felt instantly at home :).
EDIT
Oh, right ... I never liked Half-Life 2 all that much which is why I forgot to mention that one, but you will instantly see the similarities in production design.

I admit I always wanted to have Dishonored, but it was way too expensive for my taste ... for quite some time. Now that I saw the GotY edition on Steam for a third of what the original game cost back then, I couldn't help myself. I had to buy it. And I didn't regret it.

I stopped playing DA:I about two months ago. I never got past level 12 before I started again from the beginning. For some reason I started again on Thursday, from scratch.

I am about 5 to 6 hours into the game, wandering around the hinterlands righting wrongs and all that. The main character is a human mage and I am using the default group of Solas, Varric and Cassandra. So far so good.

In that time I have had only 1 crash. I know that there should not be any crashes. What is it about the DA games that cause this? I have no problems with the Witcher series or Mass Effect or a host of other games but DA:O is almost unplayable though DA2 is a lot better. Strange.

Okay, Dishonored doesn't REALLY use Undying Remembrance Dungeons (as LoL3 had a LoL1 Remembrance Dungeon), but … well, you will see what I mean should you decide to play it :). While the
Outsider level/s
were indeed quite reminiscent of
the Oneiros level
, some of the game mechanics reminded me of Undying as well. The ambient sounds and music reminded me more of Arx Fatalis, while the overall game mechanics were soooo Thief. And the Overseers were so Metal Age (at least in looks) that I felt instantly at home :).
EDIT
Oh, right … I never liked Half-Life 2 all that much which is why I forgot to mention that one, but you will instantly see the similarities in production design.

I admit I always wanted to have Dishonored, but it was way too expensive for my taste … for quite some time. Now that I saw the GotY edition on Steam for a third of what the original game cost back then, I couldn't help myself. I had to buy it. And I didn't regret it.

I picked it up in one of the recent sales, but haven't got around to it yet. Wasn't it made by some of the Arx Fatalis developers? I've never been into either of the Half-Life games, so any comparisons there won't mean much to me.

I've been getting an itch to play Arx Fatalis again, so maybe I'll see if Dishonored scratches it.

It was made by Arkane who also made Arx, and I read somewhere that some ex-Looking Glass people and a HL2 person were involved, too. And - well, it shows.
Personally, I liked the first HalfLife, but I found the 2nd one rather boring, so that reference wasn't about something I loved. I just noticed that there were design similarities.

Dishonored is no RPG, so I'm not sure if you will get your fix by playing Dishonored (but then again, Undying was no RPG either :D ).

Now I just wish someone would make another game in the mold of RotH.

I stopped playing DA:I about two months ago. I never got past level 12 before I started again from the beginning. For some reason I started again on Thursday, from scratch.

I am about 5 to 6 hours into the game, wandering around the hinterlands righting wrongs and all that. The main character is a human mage and I am using the default group of Solas, Varric and Cassandra. So far so good.

In that time I have had only 1 crash. I know that there should not be any crashes. What is it about the DA games that cause this? I have no problems with the Witcher series or Mass Effect or a host of other games but DA:O is almost unplayable though DA2 is a lot better. Strange.

Most be something on your setup (how much RAM do you have?, DA:O has memory leak that will cause crashes if you play too long without restarting) or how you try to use something (I discovered a way to cause CTD in ME2 by dragging a certain icon a few days ago, 100% totally repeatable, I did it 3 time in a row).

In that time I have had only 1 crash. I know that there should not be any crashes
You're wrong. DX crashes are not patched yet. They fixed multiplayer issues with the last patch, but multiplayer part doesn't have that problem.

Right now I'm play windows 10 insider preview edition.:D

To my surprise, I find it to be pretty excellent and will not be going back to any other OS. I took the upgrade option fully expecting it to trash my system and I'd have to clean install with the ISO.

However, it worked flawlessly. I haven't had a single problem with it. It restarted in about 15 min with my desktop exactly as it was before I upgraded. All my drives and programs intact even my raid setup and networked drives were unaffected.

I've only tried witches 1&3, divine divinity, DAI, sleeping dogs, and PoE but they all work flawlessly as well. My desktop looks more crisp, I assuming better support for 21:9 and higher resolutions would be the reason for this. Even my stardock programs worked fine like start 8 and fences.

I did uninstall start 8 to test the new win 10 start menu and I won't be reinstalling start 8. The new start menu does have some tiles on it but it's not bad but what I like is the easy scrolling of all your programs.

Metro interface is disable but you can enable it if you want, I haven't yet to see what it looks like and probably won't. All my drivers were the latest version so I didn't need to install any which was nice. Not sure how much that would change if I clean installed.

The new edge browser feels like the fastest browser I've used edging out chrome.

Overall, after 3 days it's a keeper. Nothing revolutionary but a solid improvement IMO. Looking forward to test out dx 12 when a game supporting it releases.

Thanks for heads up!

I won't put it up for a week or two upon the release just to be sure it doesn't mess up something. Also mentioned, upgrade is no go here, I want a fresh clean install on my PC.
I'm actually thinking on buying additional SSD and install it on that one while removing win7 SSD out so I can return the old system back instantly if win10 doesn't satisfy my needs.

But wherever I look everyone speaks positively about win10. And not just sold_their_souls_to vista/win8, but also winXP/win7 hardcore people.
Seems that Microsoft did the proper job this time.

Thanks for heads up!

I won't put it up for a week or two upon the release just to be sure it doesn't mess up something. Also mentioned, upgrade is no go here, I want a fresh clean install on my PC.

But wherever I look everyone speaks positively about win10. And not just sold_their_souls_to vista/win8, but also winXP/win7 hardcore people.
Seems that Microsoft did the proper job this time.

I'll definitely do a clean install at some point but I wanted to see how the upgrade process worked since it's always been a nightmare in the past and I was pleasantly surprised.

Definitely though a clean install is the way to go when I'm done tinkering around with it.

I'll definitely do a clean install at some point but I wanted to see how the upgrade process worked since it's always been a nightmare in the past and I was pleasantly surprised.

Definitely though a clean install is the way to go when I'm done tinkering around with it.

Do you know if there going to be much difference between windows 10 insider preview edition and the final release at the end of this month? Also do you need to uninstall windows 10 insider preview edition to upgrade to the final build or can you just run windows update?

thanks

I'll answer on this - the differences between current insider version and ReadyToManufacture will be minimal.
The final RTM version is not yet done although neowin and verge rumored it'll be end of this week:
http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-will-be-completed-this-week
http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/6/8899919/microsoft-windows-10-rtm

There is no concerete answer yet if insider version will have to be uninstalled or will be just upgraded to RTM version, but members of insider program will receive final win 10 before everyone else (even before those who did the "preorder" silly thing).

I'll answer on this - the differences between current insider version and ReadyToManufacture will be minimal.
The final RTM version is not yet done although neowin and verge rumored it'll be end of this week:
http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-will-be-completed-this-week
http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/6/8899919/microsoft-windows-10-rtm

There is no concerete answer yet if insider version will have to be uninstalled or will be just upgraded to RTM version, but members of insider program will receive final win 10 before anyone else.

Ah thanks for the info. Some more questions :)

I have windows 7 Home edition. Can go to Win 10 Pro Insider version? If yes, do I then get to stay on the Win 10 Pro RTM even after July 29th?

I did try google and it seem bit confusing. It seems that if I stay as an insider after 29th then I can be a Pro user but if I move to RTM then it seems I will go to Win 10 Home. But not sure about it...

Can't answer that sorry. Dunno the answer.
:(

Will try to find it (basically, will phone a friend who is in insider program tomorrow, although it might be futile because IIRC he was on win 7 professional).

Can't answer that sorry. Dunno the answer.
:(

Will try to find it (basically, will phone a friend who is in insider program tomorrow, although it might be futile because IIRC he was on win 7 professional).

Ah thanks Joxer. Let me know what he says but it looks like no free upgrade from home to pro ;)

Raven's cry...bought it after coming home after my friend's wedding... what a game, BUT you really need to be drunk to appreciate it.

BTM, why didn't you wait for the enhanced edition that is set for september?
No matter. Have to say that final chapter, chapter 4, got broken in two instances with patches. The game was finishable before patches and then they broke it. :)
Anyway if you get stuck there, ask here or on Steam forums, I'll answer.

Still got the waiting-for-1.07-blues.

I've been playing some Red Solstice, which is sort of like an isometric real-time Space Hulk with more RPG elements. It's based on some Warcraft 3/StarCraft mod I've never heard about.

It's one of the best small-team games I've played - and I've been enjoying it quite a bit.

Closest thing to an Aliens game since Isolation - which was more of an Alien game, anyway.

That said, I think I would have preferred fewer aliens and a less frantic pace. Scratch that: I know I would have preferred that.

Dark Souls

Yes, I've been giving this another shot - and I'm still struggling to stay interested. I created a Bandit, which I always do - and I did have some fun finding a pretty good sword in an early area. Some big dragon was guarding it, but it was easy enough to dodge.

I'm finding the world as bleak and empty as always. I guess I need to stick with it, to appreciate the great exploration everyone is talking about. If exploration is "glowing orbs" lying around, maybe that's my confusion. To me, exploration is about finding unique areas that tell a story of some kind. Think System Shock or Fallout 3 here. Finding loot that doesn't actually exist in the world isn't too enthralling to me.

Still can't appreciate the story or the NPCs.

The combat remains very good, but since I can't find a reason to invest myself fully - it's hard not to die here and there, resetting mob progress and making it into a grind.

I know it sounds like I'm just venting, but I actually went through several hoops to get DsFix working correctly and get everything set up.

I haven't given up just yet, but I remain REALLY puzzled as to its popularity.

Watch Dogs

Since I got my new fancy video card, I've been wanting to try this with all the bells and whistles. I was always pissed that I couldn't get rid of the stuttering.

After completing GTA V, it's sort of hard to deal with this kind of subpar driving model, but I'm finding the on-foot stuff surprisingly fun. I like the stealth elements and the hacking is sort of cool in a slightly-beyond-gimmicky way.

But it suffers from the usual GTA/AC problem of having a shit-ton of pointless side-activities.

Very much unlike TW3, I don't feel any motivation to do anything but the main quest - which sort of defeats the point of an open world game.

Pillars of Eternity

On a quest to disappoint myself? Hehe, I see what you mean, but not really.

I've been very down on this game for a while, so I thought it was about time I gave it another shot.

I came to realise that I've been bitching about the stat system quite a lot, so I sat down and tried to remember why.

As it turns out, it's not as bad as I originally made it out to be. I still hate the "recovery" speed issue, and I still don't think they did a great job with character progression. But my original complaint about stat influence doesn't seem to hold that much water, I have to say. Getting yourself a 30% damage boost isn't that different from D&D with maxed out strength. Of course, D&D tends to keep giving you stat upgrades, so it ends up being a bigger deal.

However, I'm not sure why I was originally that bitchy about the stats. Bias? I can't rule it out.

I want to give it another fair shake, though I should probably wait for the first part of the expansion.

Dark Souls

Yes, I've been giving this another shot

Just out of curiosity: Where have you been so far?

Almost all the areas in dark souls has a story to tell, and often an interesting one, but as many people mentioned it might be hidden in item descriptions and such of items you got in that area, so if you don't read them you won't have a clue what is going on. It really needs a deep investment, some things you'll only realize 10 hours later in game how they fit together.

Just out of curiosity: Where have you been so far?

Not very far into it at all. I have no idea what the areas are called. Mostly empty green/grey areas with cool vistas or amazingly dark tunnels.

I've played it before, though, where I've been exploring more - but still probably not a fraction of what's there.

I did play and explore more than half of Demon's Souls - and that game never came up with anything approaching an interesting story. Mostly it was opaque non-sense spouted in a large hub area.

The NPCs were all muttering vague references to some undead, a fallen knight or whatever, and while I might have encountered such beings later on - none of it struck a chord with me.

Almost all the areas in dark souls has a story to tell, and often an interesting one, but as many people mentioned it might be hidden in item descriptions and such of items you got in that area, so if you don't read them you won't have a clue what is going on. It really needs a deep investment, some things you'll only realize 10 hours later in game how they fit together.

I read everything I come across. So far, that's been glowing sentences on the ground and NPCs spouting not-very-funny semi-jokes.

Are there books or logs to find? Something where I don't have to imagine the story and make it up myself?

I appreciate that some people think filling out 95% blanks of a story is great story-telling, but that's not my thinking.

But if there's some kind of cohesive and fascinating tale to be found, that could be a reason to invest myself.

Not very far into it at all. I have no idea what the areas are called. Mostly empty green/grey areas with cool vistas or amazingly dark tunnels.

I've played it before, though, where I've been exploring more - but still probably not a fraction of what's there.

I did play and explore more than half of Demon's Souls - and that game never came up with anything approaching an interesting story. Mostly it was opaque non-sense spouted in a large hub area.

The NPCs were all muttering vague references to some undead, a fallen knight or whatever, and while I might have encountered such beings later on - none of it struck a chord with me.

I read everything I come across. So far, that's been glowing sentences on the ground and NPCs spouting not-very-funny semi-jokes.

Are there books or logs to find? Something where I don't have to imagine the story and make it up myself?

I appreciate that some people think filling out 95% blanks of a story is great story-telling, but that's not my thinking.

But if there's some kind of cohesive and fascinating tale to be found, that could be a reason to invest myself.

The glowing sentences are written by other players, and most NPC's don't have much to say, however quite a few of them will take actions and do stuff. But NPC dialogue is not the strongest point to be sure.

As already mentioned read the description of that sword you find, or any other item, that is where the bulk of the information about the world is.

It'll not tell you clearly how the items descriptions are connected though you'll have to figure that out yourself. A problem is that if you don't find 2 items, which would link the story to the third item, it might appear that the text is completely taken out of context and not related to anything else.

Back
Top Bottom