RPGWatch Feature - Return of the Blobber

Well, there is still games like Wizardrdy 7/8 and the Might and Magic Titles which don't come with these limitations.

I love games with long play ability like Malevolence. In case it has not been mentioned.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/268930/Malevolence_The_Sword_of_Ahkranox/

A lot of Blobbers (Grid-Based Movement) are missing in this comprehensive list:
- Aeon of Sands - The Trail
- Coldfire Keep
- Das Geisterschiff
- Dungeon Kingdom: Sign of the Moon
- Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle
- Heroes of the Monkey Tavern
- Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown
- Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox
- Ruzar - The Life Stone
- The Quest
- The Deep Paths: Labyrinth Of Andokost
- Vaporum

I did indeed forget The Quest and Malevolence in my article. I started the Quest twice and never finished it either time. (clocking in 15 hours the first time and about 25 the second). The Quest is sort of like a mix of a turnbased Daggerfall and a single character Might and Magic. It does have turn based combat. I found the game midly entertaining, probably because you only control a single character, but others here loved it.

I've followed Malevolence on and off, and though I think it finally left early access, I had the impression that its not a game for me. You control one character, which I find far less satisfying than controlling a party. I think its almost entirely procedurally generated, and there have been comments that it lacks depth of content. I honestly forgot it since I have lost interest in buying it. It does seem to have some fans though.

Great article, Forgottenlor! Blobbers are also my favorite genre. I loved them when I was younger and they were more popular, and I have loved them recently for a different reason - they are much easier on your hands and arms than an action rpg or even a TB rpg with tactical combat. I have hand and arm problems that get worse with use, so this has been a godsend for me.

So far this year, I have played and completed Might and Magic I, II , III, Swords of Xeen and MM X ( the only M&Ms I hadn't played). I was able to control ALL of them by using software called Dragon Naturally Speaking, where I speak what key I want pressed using the microphone, and the game presses it. (It was funny to read in your article that MM3 and Xeen were built to use the mouse, since I discovered you could play them using 100% keyboard...)

Amazingly, although this software is not built for gaming, I have not found a game yet where it doesn't work, so if there is anyone out there like me, please consider trying it. I am even using it in Enderal now, although since I have to move around and use the mouse to fight, it is far less useful (and is hurting me a lot more). I knew I shouldn't have started playing it, but now I can't stop, of course...

Back
Top Bottom