RPGWatch @ Gamescom - King’s Bounty II Preview

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
I got to play King's Bounty II for an hour or so at Gamescom and I found it to be different from its predecesors, but not always for the better.

With some anticipation I was going to spent some hands-on time with King's Bounty II at the 1C booth and it turned out to be an experience that didn't completely match my anticipation, but it was well worth the hour I spent on the game.
There is no escaping comparing King's Bounty II with its predecessor and from what I've learned while playing the game, King's Bounty II has several of the elements that its predecessor have, or at least the elements I've tried, but it changes the way how these elements come to you.
More information.

Thanks for the input, I'm really interested in this sequel so hopefully it won't disappoint (much).

One comment on quest marker and mini-map et all. In the previous games these markers only showed up on lower difficulties; on high difficulties they do not show up. Can't say that is true with this game but it would be something to ask or test.
-
I might be mistaken but it sounds like the major dislike is how they represent stack of troups and perhaps the lost of a bit of charm of being less realistic in previous games. Is this an accurate summary or can you correct me if i am mistaken...

It sounds like they are trying to graphically at least emulate the Total War series, perhaps to widen their audience. I think sacrificing clarity in units though is dissapointing. Having a banner or something to identify the individual units would be a good idea, since they seem determined to to sacrifice the old graphical system.

I liked over the top colourful and charming fantasy setting & characters in KB1, it fitted the humoruos dialogs well. Not a big fan of replacing it with 50 shades of gray but we'll see.

thnx myrthos !!
I was expecting the worse, you make it sound better then i thought.

This game reminds me of Elven Legacy.

I played Elven Legacy and it reminded me a lot of Fantasy General. Elven Legacy lacked the "open world" aspect of a King's Bounty, but had the more scenerio oriented and unit improving approach of Fantasy General, just in a much more modern garb. I thought it was a pretty decent game when I played it. What is similar, to a certain degree is the visual approach. But I still be they were more influenced by the Total War games, and clones likes the King Arthur strategy games.

It sounds like they are trying to graphically at least emulate the Total War series, perhaps to widen their audience. I think sacrificing clarity in units though is dissapointing. Having a banner or something to identify the individual units would be a good idea, since they seem determined to to sacrifice the old graphical system.

The banner things would be a really good and simple idea that would solve almost every problem there. They could make it so when you zoomed out enough the banner for each troop appeared over the tops of them to make them easy to pick out. Hopefully they will pay attention to their early feedback.

I liked over the top colourful and charming fantasy setting & characters in KB1, it fitted the humoruos dialogs well. Not a big fan of replacing it with 50 shades of gray but we'll see.

I totally agree with this. I would be fine with better graphics, but why remove all the colours and make it more serious? One of the best things about the earlier games were that they didn't game themselves too seriously, and I happen to enjoy other colours besides grey and brown.

Will probably try this anyway, but not a fan of that particular change at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom