Wildermyth - Early Access Release

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The tactical RPG Wildermyth has been released as Early Access version:

Wildermyth is a character-driven, procedurally-generated tactical RPG for the PC. Start with a small band of farmers--full of personality, but lacking in experience--and turn them into unique, legendary heroes.

Your party will defend the Yondering Lands from various threats, alternating between turn-based combat and strategic decisions on the overland map. Over time, your heroes will uncover the secrets of the land through comic-strip-style events, presenting them with choices that can change their appearance, personalities, relationships, and abilities. And victory (or death, whichever comes first) isn't the end. Heroes go into your "Legacy," and can show up in future playthroughs. Over the course of several stories, your legacy heroes grow into larger-than-life myths.
More information.

It is common practise to praise an EA product: it channels revenues toward it.
Customers act as salespeople and aim at growing the base, the more money they push toward the product, the more likely it is to get completed.

This led to massive gaps in opinions. Customers might have praised a product wiping saves at initial release to shoot it down at its final release. Even though the issue of wiping saves was resolved and is unarguably a betterment of a product requiring a functional save system.
They praise a product and when it gets better, they flame.

As mentioned already, this product is filled with toxic features, features that players are going to work through permanent lobbying to remove.

And new point, after watching the trailer, accusations of pushing an agenda are going to fly. Players are going to feel insecure.

Might be an worthwhile product, a game or something. The EA thing though makes it open to listening to customers. You know what you buy now. You do not know how it is going to evolve.

This looks very interesting to me! Comics paperdolls and story with dating sim plus offsprings that can, if I understood correctly, can take their own adventures later.

Won't be betatesting it of course, but will definetly keep an eye on it.

One thing to note. Of cca 200 early access reviews not a single one is negative. Never seen something like that, usually there is at least one or two.

I wait for 30+ hour reviews because I want a game with legs. If you've played the game 2 hours, goody. Any game can look good for a couple hours.

Not sure I like the art and paper dolls, but I do like the premise of it. Will keep an eye on it for when it comes out of ea.

I wait for 30+ hour reviews because I want a game with legs. If you've played the game 2 hours, goody. Any game can look good for a couple hours.

2 hours? most of the reviews nowadays are 0.8 / 1 hrs "i've just played a bit but…" but what? you can't say anything about a game with 45 minutes under your belt, you fool!!!

Except that on this site, playing a certain number of hours begs the questions on how a reviewer could have played that many hours while not liking the problem.

So 30+ hour negative reviews are disregarded, not possible to play that many hours and not liking it etc

And by the way, considering how this product works, 30 hours may not be enough to report on the product. It is sufficient though for players looking for a 30 hour experience bar thing, any product that sustains 30 hours is good.

Other than that, it is indeed a classic crowdfunded pump to shine prime. Players are praising it to attract money to it and maximizing the odds of completion.

Similar to a pyramidal scheme.

Except that on this site, playing a certain number of hours begs the questions on how a reviewer could have played that many hours while not liking the problem.

So 30+ hour negative reviews are disregarded, not possible to play that many hours and not liking it etc

And by the way, considering how this product works, 30 hours may not be enough to report on the product. It is sufficient though for players looking for a 30 hour experience bar thing, any product that sustains 30 hours is good.

Other than that, it is indeed a classic crowdfunded pump to shine prime. Players are praising it to attract money to it and maximizing the odds of completion.

Similar to a pyramidal scheme.

yeah that is quite true. The pyramidal scheme i mean, the 30 hours thing is wrong on the side of who thinks that you can't dislike a product you played 30 hrs. It's simple : i tried, i'm disappointed by what i tried. 1hr = i didn't even try.

Say what?

On this site my question is not number of any hours but number of sidequests or sidecontent reviewers did. I mean, one reviewer can spend days and not crack a puzzle while another found it trivial and solved it in a minute.

Usually a reviewer ignores sidecontent and scores only the main story if there is one. If there isn't, for example Skyrim, I have no idea what a reviewer does. For sure they weren't numbering bugs in the mentioned title, according to scores.

It is common practise to praise an EA product: it channels revenues toward it.
Customers act as salespeople and aim at growing the base, the more money they push toward the product, the more likely it is to get completed.
Where do you even come up with this shit?

The point has been made for years now.

It is part of a money pumping scheme. Players are not enthusiastic about the product itself in its current stage, they are enthusiastic about a future idea they have of the product. And the move to achieve that idea is to praise the product to attract funds.
A pyramidal scheme of some sort.

A point that has been made for years now. Crowdfunded products are different from traditionally funded products.

No worries, while denial is common amongst players, there still are players who are secure enough to admit that negative reviews during a funding stage is counter productive. Not that their admission is mandatory, simply shows that people still exist to assume their acts. They did not hide not only they pushed praise on a product but also tried to shut down negative reports on EA products because the goal is to attract, not to spook.

When the product is complete, there might be a change of heart. Mission accomplished though.

At 00:32 one of the enemies is called Dart :D

I'd summon him for comment, but it looks like he's gone again.

After watching streams, this product is a classical EA product, versions stand on their own, no bug to be reported. Already a polished version that will be get an inflow of new content as it is patched.

Tons of customisation options.

The UgoIgo thing is UgoIgo made for computer players. No difficulty in it, no specific knowledge demanded, it is made for players to browse through content without hinderance.

At the moment, it means that all features related to death, crippling, maiming etc are self inflicted. They happen at players'wish, players want their heroes to be crippled then they let it be crippled, they engineer the situation.

Nothing heroic like a PC forced into an against the odds situation, resulting in sacrifying a limb or giving up on life etc

Nothing like that. The engine keeps throwing situations made to be overcome unscathed. Player decide whether they desire their heroes to be crippled, or dead.

It might change in the future, maybe there will be some sort of adversity in this product. So far, no.

It decreases by the same the toxicity as this could have been a big toxic point.

It also means that core features in this product are artificially tossed on players as their generation does not come from normal play.

Do you ever comment on games you've actually played ?

After watching streams, this product is a classical EA product, versions stand on their own, no bug to be reported. Already a polished version that will be get an inflow of new content as it is patched.

Tons of customisation options.

The UgoIgo thing is UgoIgo made for computer players. No difficulty in it, no specific knowledge demanded, it is made for players to browse through content without hinderance.

At the moment, it means that all features related to death, crippling, maiming etc are self inflicted. They happen at players'wish, players want their heroes to be crippled then they let it be crippled, they engineer the situation.

Nothing heroic like a PC forced into an against the odds situation, resulting in sacrifying a limb or giving up on life etc

Nothing like that. The engine keeps throwing situations made to be overcome unscathed. Player decide whether they desire their heroes to be crippled, or dead.

It might change in the future, maybe there will be some sort of adversity in this product. So far, no.

It decreases by the same the toxicity as this could have been a big toxic point.

It also means that core features in this product are artificially tossed on players as their generation does not come from normal play.

On this site, less and less. It used to be otherwise.

Products made for streamers are made to be streamed or watched being streamed.

And this site is enamoured with products made for streamers. A lot. Maybe because many here stream a lot. Who knows.

When not a streamer though, it only leaves option 2.

The day this site is much less enamoured with products made for streamers, the day it changes.

I actually agree with Chien on the early access review part, if not on everything else. I believe players are a lot more forgiving in EA, and they imagine what the game could be instead of playing what's actually there, thus probably inflating review scores. I don't see that the problem is related to crowdfunding in particular, but agree that it's probably even bigger with those games since many feel thay have a higher "stake" in the game having backed it.

Definitively linked to crowdfunding.

The completion of a crowdfunded vid product usually depends on a stream of revenues. Negative publicity endangers the stream and therefore compromizes the completion of the product. It might dry out.

This product, though, is quite polished, the big question is to know what they are going to add because at the moment, it looks complete, nothing screams missing.

Streamers have already completed four, five, six campaigns, they are over the 100 hundred hour mark. They are loving it.

Back
Top Bottom