So the GPU's in the PS4 and 720 will be atleast 3x weaker

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor
NVIDIA slide:
zUgKKE7.jpg

How the mighty have fallen. I might just stick to pc's next gen.

How the mighty have fallen. I might just stick to pc's next gen.
I do not own a console, do not plan on purchasing one any time soon and can't be called by any means a console fanboy but I am shocked by your conclusion. How can you conclude it'll better to stick to the PC only because the horsepower factor will be in its favor ? What about the quality of the future games and their gameplay ? How in hell the fact the next gen consoles will have a 3x weaker GPU can impact the quality of the forthcoming games ? Do you mean there's no salvation for a game with fewer pixels ? I call such conclusion simplistic and Mojang would as well !

Yeah, I'm with Gloo. It's somewhat superficial to think that console games should be shunned if they do not match the power of the PC. Let me guess, Damian: You love TEH GRAFIKS?

Also, "how the mighty have fallen"? You make it seem as if consoles used to be more powerful than PCs. When has this ever happened?

I'm a PC gamer all the way. But consoles are great and I afford them the respect they deserve. My friendly advice to you is to get off the high-horse you're perched on: the higher you are, the harder the fall.

There was a time when consoles were pretty unique. The chips used were pretty unusual and the software written for them led to unique audio and graphical abilities that the other consoles and PC's didn't have. Y'know. Like the FM synth in the Genesis and the Mode 7 business in the SNES.

Now, consoles are shitty PC's with outdated hardware. So no, they don't deserve "respect". They're just. Shitty. PC's. With. Outdated. Hardware. There's nothing unique, nothing interesting, nothing at all that differentiates them from a PC other than marketing. We're not in the same world as the 90's. It's time to drop your old ideas of what these devices are supposed to be.

Simply put, the next gen of consoles is a sack of shit compared to what I have right now on my desk. So why bother?

Hmm...an Nvidia slide...to demonstrate how much weaker an AMD graphics card will be in what will probably be a $450 console, compared to their top spec $1,000 GPU. I mean why stop there, why not compare to 3 Titans in SLI?

Yeah, I'm with Gloo. It's somewhat superficial to think that console games should be shunned if they do not match the power of the PC. Let me guess, Damian: You love TEH GRAFIKS?

Also, "how the mighty have fallen"? You make it seem as if consoles used to be more powerful than PCs. When has this ever happened?

I'm a PC gamer all the way. But consoles are great and I afford them the respect they deserve. My friendly advice to you is to get off the high-horse you're perched on: the higher you are, the harder the fall.

Look at the graph, the orginal xbox was more powerful than pc's at the time. The ps3 and xbox 360 gens have had it similar and now it is 3x weaker.

This isnt the only issue however if the consoles are weaker the graphics on pc's suffer because publishers cater to the lowest common denominator.

The graph is tiny, too tiny to show well on my monitor.

PC gaming is already aligned on consoles. So it wont change that part.

The mattering information is how more powerful this console generation is compared to the previous one.

Graphics are resources consuming, the architecture of the consoles to come suggests bigger gameworld so more graphics content to produce both in quality and quantity.Even with the larger console market, it is not sure that enough revenues can be generate to make full of the potential of the new consoles.

In all cases, considering the leap in power from one console generation to another, be assured that your PC GPU will be put to work to match the increase in consoles graphics (relatively to the previous console generation)

the problem with consoles is not their hardware. It's the type of games they make for them. Take out the shooters and 3rd person "action" games, plus the yearly rendition of your sports game (same as previous year, give me your new $60) and there's nothing.

Look at the graph, the orginal xbox was more powerful than pc's at the time. The ps3 and xbox 360 gens have had it similar and now it is 3x weaker.

This isnt the only issue however if the consoles are weaker the graphics on pc's suffer because publishers cater to the lowest common denominator.

That graph is only referring to the GPU, not the CPU. There is no way in hell the first XBOX could outperform a PC at the time.

@darkling, aren't those abilities (Mode 7, etc) either workarounds to deal with hardware limitations or so-called "special" features more for marketing than actual technological milestones?

Since the advent of home PCs, they have ALWAYS been more powerful than consoles.

Why I respect consoles is due to the fact that a lot of our gaming genres and tastes were defined by the classic consoles (Atari, NES, Genesis, etc) Lots of people enjoy the ease of firing up a console and acquiring the exclusive games that come with it. Let them have their fun.

However, I admit I do not tolerate the gutting of games to accommodate consoles. Bad porting and lazy/sloppy coding only serves to amplify the differences between consoles and PCs.

On a side note, the PS4 architecture is more PC-centric so that seems interesting.

I wouldn't give a crap if AAA developers didn't develop content around console capabilities. Still, you have to consider: if a title can already cost upwards of 20, 30 million USD, how much worse will it get with the next generation, even WITH their complacent tech specs?

Hmmm, I wonder how big of a factor PC advancement is to console advancement? When this generation started, the tools to make the games were running on 2005 PCs. As the PCs advance, though, so can the tools used to build the games. Simply having the time to put features into those tools would also be a big factor.

I'll be curious to see how much optimization gets done in the early games of the generation. They get a big graphics jump (and memory jump and CPU jump) just doing everything straightforward so why spend the money to do extra optimization? In fact, if they make games TOO good now, how will they impress people with better graphics three years from now?

Performance vs. PCs is, at best, a tertiary concern for console manufacturers. For their market it has never been an issue. And I don't see that changing any time soon. I would say that its only an issue for PC gamers (like myself) so its no surprise that it doesn't factor heavily into their decision process.

I for one have nothing against the developers designing their games to fit the hardware capabilities of consoles. This trend has allowed me to save a fortune on hardware upgrades. The CPU, motherboard and memory i have right now i bought in 2008, the graphics card is a midrange card from 2011. The only reason i upgraded it in the first place, is that King's Bounty killed my old card due to an overheating bug in Nvidia drivers. Personally i think, that consoles effectively stopping the hardware race is a great thing and forces the developers to optimize their games to consoles at least. From there the ports to pc can still be shitty, but since the average pc is so much more powerful than the consoles, it's not as huge a problem. I still remember the time when i bought a new graphics card every year.

Agree with tolknaz. When I bought my Dell 5 years ago, it was high-end but not bleeding edge. I've dropped in a new video card a couple years ago, but that's it. I'm just now getting to the point where I can't play some new releases, and that's primarily due to sticking with WinXP. That's pretty nice, and like tolknaz I do attribute the extra life of my hardware to the drag on software prompted by the consoles.

I'm not a graphics nut, but I do find the relatively low power of the upcoming consoles worrying. Remember that with more powerful computers you are able to do more things. Things like simulating massive battles for an example. Imagine simulating a battle with thousands upon thousands of individual actors, where the parts further away are not just a semi-static backdrop in a game.
If the consoles are considerably weaker, then they will just keep on acting stopping blocks, preventing certain types of games or scenarios in games. The consoles are in a very obvious way acting as stopping blocks for current games.

For pure gaming? The 80's :p

I am one of those who have been "saved" by the consoles slowing down development, as my computer is ancient, but if games don't push people to upgrade their computers, that gives the companies who manufacture computers parts less of an incentive to improve what they have or find new ways of doing things. And those "improved" computer parts can be used for many things outside of gaming, like for an example scientific calculations.

I myself love the power and flexibility of the PC. And consoles do not hold much interest for me. Although I love how many console games can be emulated - PS2 games at high resolutions on a PC, awww yeah!

In the end I just do not want my PC preference to blind me to some pretty amazing games the consoles offer.

So what if they are. Look at this way there more powerful than the previous consoles. I don't know when graphics became the most important aspect of every game.

Also if your expecting a Titan graphic card in a console your dreaming. The cost would be to high. I for one am grateful it means I have to spend less upgrading due to console limitations. I don't have the money to upgrade every year or two anymore.

Console systems, to me, were always the Yugos of computing power. I have a PS3, I've bought a total of 3 games for it, and it serves more as a dvd player than a gaming device for me. When I game, I prefer to drive the Caddy.

The way some indie companies are working these days at making some great games, quite a few that harken back to the kind that keep me interested in games. I'd rather throw money at them than on some console system that mostly just waits to play a new movie for me.

-Carn

I don't think it's the technological divide between the platforms that is the problem.

It's cross platform games. There's always been a difference between console and pc power but they used to develop the games separately for each so it didn't matter. Such as BG for pc and BG dark alliance for consoles. Both fun games but totally different experiences. If these games were made today we'd probably only get 1 of them and it'd unfortunately would probably be BG dark alliance.

As for hardware I'm against anything that holds up progress and don't like how consoles have slowed thing down to a crawl. I'd also love to see some progress on the software side. Poorly optimized games and resource hogging windows and programs are also a problem. I would love to see someone step up and make a true gaming OS. Even if it were to run in a dual boot situation with windows. It will have to be someone other than Microsoft though as they want you gaming on Xbox and checking email and face booking with your pc.

Maybe valve will offer a solution although basing it on Linux doesn't excite me. Ideally I'd like to see nvidia come up with something since amd has committed to making all the hardware for the consoles.

So what if they are. Look at this way there more powerful than the previous consoles. I don't know when graphics became the most important aspect of every game.

Also if your expecting a Titan graphic card in a console your dreaming. The cost would be to high. I for one am grateful it means I have to spend less upgrading due to console limitations. I don't have the money to upgrade every year or two anymore.

Surprisingly the weaker cards are half the price and slightly less powerful. I was looking at anandtech and its doesnt seem to be value for money.

Back
Top Bottom