Bethesda Canceled Prey 2

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well this should not come as a surprise as it seem Bethesda has canceled Prey 2. The last time I read an update was when the project was put on hiatus.
Bethesda has officially cancelled development of first-person shooter Prey 2, as the company says that it simply wasn't good enough quality.

The game was revealed back in 2008, and a release date of 2012 was set. Then in 2012, cancellation rumors began, and questions were raised over whether Bethesda had severed ties with the game's developer Human Head Studios.

While Bethesda simply said at the time that the game had been delayed, it now turns out that development has been completely canned.

"It was game we believed in, but we never felt that it got to where it needed to be," Bethesda vice president Pete Hines told Cnet. "We never saw a path to success if we finished it."

"It wasn't up to our quality standard and we decided to cancel it," he added. "It's no longer in development. That wasn't an easy decision, but it's one that won't surprise many folks given that we hadn't been talking about it."

He then reiterated, "Human Head Studios is no longer working on. It's a franchise we still believe we can do something with — we just need to see what that something is."
Link - http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/229114/Surprising_noone_Bethesda_cancels_Prey_2.php

So I guess we can look forward to the game now being made with the unoptimized ID Tech Engine 5. I seriously hate that game engine Bethesda acquired.:disappointed:

Last edited:
So I guess we can look forward to the game now being made with the unoptimized ID Tech Engine 5. I seriously hate that game engine Bethesda acquired.:disappointed:

I doubt it. I'm pretty sure canceled just means canceled in this case.

Too bad, I was looking forward to seeing how Prey 2 would turn out. I thought the first game was underrated.

I doubt it. I'm pretty sure canceled just means canceled in this case. /QUOTE]
According the link Bethesda admits they are still interested in making a sequel, but I agree it's more than likely nothing will ever be made now.
Too bad, I was looking forward to seeing how Prey 2 would turn out. I thought the first game was underrated.
I still have the metal collectors box from the first Prey game. I still find the time to replay it when I can, but unfortunately I never managed to finish it yet.:embarrassed:

Last edited:

Hehe looking at some of the comments on other gaming sites, you could get the impression that it was/is overrated because many drama queens are pretending like Bethesda just cancelled the entire TES and Fallout franchise in one fell swoop or something ;) .
I agree though that it was a little underrated back in the day. It was definitely a fun shooter with a rather unique premise, main character and setting and the portals literally added a new dimension to the gameplay. Humor was OK, too.
I'm not going to lose any sleep over Prey 2's cancellation but it is at least a minor pity for sure.

Not happy about this, since I heard Arkane Studios were supposed to make it into a System Shock 2-like game after taking over development.

I guess the curse of System Shock is that we'll never see another game like it again :(

Back
Top Bottom