Daggerfall - Released for Free

I wonder how many people shot themselves when Square released Final Fantasy Tactics under the "Greatest hits" brand or again when war of the lions was released.

I didn't. But I came close when I discovered that the "Alien Crossfire" expansion to "Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri", which for years have only been available on eBay, and which I therefore bought at a bargain-but-still- very-steep-price, is now included in the £5 (or 3 for £10) release of Alpha Centauri.

OTOH: I no longer have to worry about loosing/scratching my crossifre CD. *hums* Always look on the bright side of life.

Meh. I'm not against hoarding old games in hopes of selling them at a nice price later, but it's speculation, and that means you don't really have much cause to complain if you lose out on it. It's like investing, in that sense, unless you get lied to and lose money because of that, it's just a risk of the trade.

Agreed.

Personally, I see games as an experience, not a box to re-sell. If I enjoy playing a game (to whatever degree), I've already had my value.

Agreed.

Personally, I see games as an experience, not a box to re-sell. If I enjoy playing a game (to whatever degree), I've already had my value.

Absolutely agree - once completed my games go in one of three piles:
- Keep forever
- Trade out on Goozex
- Give to the kids

... of course, digital download means more and more games that would get option #2 are now getting #1 ...

Mike, I think you're forgetting the games that are so horrible they must be destroyed in some sort of ritualistic faction, like Daikatana or perhaps Lionheart.

@rithrandil: Unless you know someone you would only be too happy to give them to......

I didn't think anyone actually bought those games!!

Back to topic.

I was just messing around with Daggerfall some more, and I must say, I don't remember the combat being so crappy when I played it years ago. I'm not sure if it's a bug in the DosBox emulation, but my character swings his weapon as if he's moving through quicksand.

The courts were certainly dull, but what bugged me more was a total lack of royalty to serve outside the three main kingdoms:(

The game feels a bit empty, but I didnt have much of a problem knowing what to do once I realised the layout of all guilds (one questgiver plus a bunch of utilities/trainers guys), only available during office hours. Unfortunately understanding of the structure of the game makes it more obvious how empty it is as well:p You also get letters from the various royalty (triggered by reaching a certain level and finishing quests for other royalty IIRC?) that tells you where to go in the main quest. These letters are only announced with a discrete text message as you enter a city (a page handed blahblah to you) and easy to miss, so one has to check out the inventory for them at times.

Thanks for the summary of things to do there. I never got any letters (I don't think I played long enough to recieve them) I did get a message when I killed an innocent saying something along the lines of "Someone saw you or maybe I'm thinking of Morrowind".

If I ever get any free time maybe I'll give this another shot. Howerver, there are too many better games out there right now.

my character swings his weapon as if he's moving through quicksand.

Put more points into Speed. 60+ at first level makes a difference.

Heh. I have a regrettable tendency to lose boxes. I lost my cardboard boxes for Planescape: Torment, Fallout, Fallout 2 and Ultima VI. Still have the manuals for F1 and F2, but still a shame, Ultima VI had a nice cloth map. I love cloth maps!

I still have all of my cardboard boxes - but unfortunately they consume a *lot* of space !

And I still have all of my handbooks, of course ...

By the way, I do hope that this release will make the ebay prices of Daggerfall drop a little bit ...

Heh. I have a regrettable tendency to lose boxes. I lost my cardboard boxes for Planescape: Torment, Fallout, Fallout 2 and Ultima VI. Still have the manuals for F1 and F2, but still a shame, Ultima VI had a nice cloth map. I love cloth maps!

Those old over-sized PC boxes were just TOO big ... I prefer the DVD cases. Oh, but if there were real manuals like there used to be I would still like bigger boxes ;)

Back to topic.

I was just messing around with Daggerfall some more, and I must say, I don't remember the combat being so crappy when I played it years ago. I'm not sure if it's a bug in the DosBox emulation, but my character swings his weapon as if he's moving through quicksand.

What's your character's speed?

Put more points into Speed. 60+ at first level makes a difference.

What's your character's speed?

I created a new character, and made sure he had more than 60 in speed. It seems to have made a difference. Combat is still very clunky compared to Morrowind or Oblivion.

I love the dungeon atmosphere in Daggerfall though. I almost crapped my pants when I saw that skeleton warrior run down those steps in that first large room. This is bringing back a lot of old memories...

I never did own the full version of Daggerfall, but I probably spent at least 45-50 hours playing the demo back when it was released. (It was larger than most full RPGs!)

Last edited:
I strongly suggest you get the winxp version and add the patch for mouse look...the game is soooo much better that way...

I'm not sure why people don't think it aged well, if you use a screen update with the winxp it looks fairly decent for its age...the first dungeon was a blast...the atmosphere was incredible...they don't make them like this anymore:(

Havin fun though thanks for the link to the winxp version.

The version I have must already be fully patched because I have mouse look. Are you sure that wasn't built in? I don't remember it being any different back when I played the demo.

No no....with the patch it has you move the mouse and it looks around like a modern first person game instead of just moving with the mouse...so if a rat is down below your field of vision just move the mouse...

No no....with the patch it has you move the mouse and it looks around like a modern first person game instead of just moving with the mouse...so if a rat is down below your field of vision just move the mouse...

Yes.... that's exactly what I mean. Daggerfall didn't have that out of the box?

Are you sure you're not thinking of Arena?

It looks .... terrible.

I wonder why would anyone want to play it on a big monitor?

Back
Top Bottom