Deathspank - Interview @ RPG Codex

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We haven't heard anything about Ron Gilbert's humorous Monkey-Island-meets-Diablo game since the original announcement but RPG Codex has popped up with an interview:
How are you combining the adventure and RPG elements? What will the balance between the two genres be? More adventure or more RPG?
Good question and probably the hardest thing about designing DeathSpank. If there were ever two genres that belonged together, I think it's Adventure and RPG. They share a lot in being story and world focused. But there are also differences, mainly in what motivates players to move forward and how they attack problems. An adventure game can be described as a bunch of immovable objects you need to navigate your way around, and a RPG is a bunch of really heavy objects you need to push out of the way. I would be lying if I said it's not a constant challenge to balance the two. As John F. Kennedy once said of the moon landings: We do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.
More information.

I don't know why they compare the game to Diablo when it seems to me it's closer to the last Bard's Tale

Are there any screenshots out yet ?

Bard's Tale is nowhere near as known as Diablo/Monkey Island though, so they probably refer to those games instead to get more attention.

It does sound somewhat interesting, but I'll wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom