Tales of Symphonia - Broken Ports Unacceptable

Aubrielle

Noveliste
The first opinions are flowing in for the PC port of Tales of Symphonia, and the impressions aren't the best. Locked 720p resolution is a problem, among other things. A PCGamer op-ed believes we deserve better.

<em style="background-color: initial;">Peter "Durante" Thoman is the creator of PC downsampling tool GeDoSaTo and the modder behind Dark Souls' DSfix. He has previously analyzed PC ports of [/i]Valkyria Chronicles<em style="background-color: initial;">, The Witcher 3, [/i]Tales of Zestiria<em style="background-color: initial;"> and more[/i]<em style="background-color: initial;">.[/i]

Bandai-Namco, this is unacceptable. You too, Koei-Tecmo.

Yesterday Bandai-Namco released Tales of Symphonia on Steam. It’s a game with a history of bad porting: the PS3 release which this port is based on—in turn a port of the PS2 version—was in some ways still inferior to the Gamecube original. So no one truly expected anything more than a decently competent barebones affair, with the same assets, framerate limitations and features as the PS3 version. However, what we got <strong style="background-color: initial;">rivals the very worst ports in the last decade of PC gaming[/b], and more than that the surrounding circumstances leave little conclusion other than the responsible company (or companies) simply caring little about the quality of their products.

I don’t enjoy writing negative articles, but sometimes it has to be done. In this one, I’ll explain all the things wrong with Tales of Symphonia on PC, and more than that, how these facts clearly point to an underlying system of priorities for creating this version of the game which simply makes no sense. No technical sense. No sense from the point of view of the customers. Note that there is one positive takeway from this: at least the resolution issues were easy enough to fix. I did it in less than three hours.

In any case, I want to refrain from descending into hyperbole or painting with too broad a brush—something I often observe when these topics are discussed. So first, let’s start with some perspective.

Read more.

More information.

It was funny to watch the backlash when they released it on PS3 and it was decried as a bad PS2 port. I remember posting "Thats how PC users feel every... day!" :)

I am a little bit bemused they didn't try and improve this given the bad history.

How pathetic that the author of this article was able to overcome some of the flaws in a matter of hours, yet the developer and/or publisher didn't think it was worth the effort.

I wish that Durante would write more articles. Always worth a read and more like an old school pc gamer article - full of enthusiasm and proper analysis.

It was funny to watch the backlash when they released it on PS3 and it was decried as a bad PS2 port.

Hmm, I have the PS3 version, and I won't call it a bad PS2 port by any means.
The content is there, the gameplay is as exemplary as before on GC - and I have the Anniversary Edition, so the box contains one of the best goodies in recent years for its price (Sequel Game! Novel Book! Figurines! Cool boxart!)

The only "issue" the PS3 version has, that the graphics has not been upgraded significantly. The rendering resolution got higher, yes, but the models, textures, etc are practically on the same level as the GC original's.
... but hey, that's what it means "porting the game" :)

Didn't plan to buy that game anyway but this is very sad news.
How pathetic that the author of this article was able to overcome some of the flaws in a matter of hours, yet the developer and/or publisher didn't think it was worth the effort.
Developer/publisher thinks that PC audience are morons that will buy any broken crap without possibility to refund. But Steam added refund option about half a year ago so now the only thing that will happen is losing customers.

I suspect the dev team had about three months for the whole porting project...
Barely enough to convert the engine and assets to a new platform.

Dev: Okay, it will take take about a year, so....
Suit: Hey, this is just a port, you've got everything, why so long?
Dev: But we need more...
Suit: Three months then. Glad we are on the same page.
Dev: But...
Suit: Excellent. I'll call Marketing to schedule the release campaign.

... Well, business as usual :D

In Ron Perlman's voice:
Game dev. Game dev never changes.

Kind of like the original Dark Souls. Fans fixed it within days of it's release, but even years later the developers still haven't made the slightest effort to address it's problems. I believe that was also a Namco Bandai game. Perhaps it would be better to treat any of their PC ports with extreme caution.

In Ron Perlman's voice:
"where's my goddamned shoe".
Fixed it for you. :evilgrin:
Kind of like the original Dark Souls. Fans fixed it within days of it's release, but even years later the developers still haven't made the slightest effort to address it's problems. I believe that was also a Namco Bandai game. Perhaps it would be better to treat any of their PC ports with extreme caution.
After superb Valkyria Chronicles port I jumped blindly onto Neptunia and stepped on a turd. Knew it could be pathetic like Square's The Last Remnant but I thought okay, just didn't expect irritating insulting mushrooms tooltips that caused me to uninstall the game after perhaps 30 minutes of playing it.
After that I'm not buying anyone's port before someone I trust says it's well done. The only one I did buy without checking was MGS5 as it was known up front that the game will use the same engine/system as it's overpriced techdemo everyone praised (and I didn't buy it).

There is also an exception. I've heard/read that GTA5 port is well done. It's not. It's helicopter controls are horrible, all roads are covered with invisible ice while you drive a car and ice disappears if you're on motorbike. Sadly I've bought it on RSC directly so couldn't refund on Steam or at least thumb it down. Even more sadly, I'm writing this here where noone who plans to buy it sometime in the future will read it and will give $ for that piece of junk.

Last edited:
I wish that Durante would write more articles. Always worth a read and more like an old school pc gamer article - full of enthusiasm and proper analysis.

Couldn't agree more! I love his articles, and yeah, it takes me back to when PC Gamer was a great site/magazine. That was a LONG time ago…before they did things like give DA2 a 94%…yeah, I can't ever forget that.

I've heard/read that GTA5 port is well done. It's not. It's helicopter controls are horrible, all roads are …Even more sadly, I'm writing this here where noone who plans to buy it sometime in the future will read it and will give $ for that piece of junk.

The problem with your analysis is you are lacking perspective. See, Symphonia is is a terrible port: locked 720p, hardly any graphics options. GTAV's PC port has a ton of graphics options, excellent performance, and many PC features.

The issues you bring up…very finicky helicopter controls and cars feeling like ice-skating…those are both present on the console versions…that's how they designed the game.

Let us try for a more balanced way of thinking. GTAV's PC port is overall VERY good, one of the best actually. Just because you don't like a few game design choices like car physics and VERY tricky helicopter controls, that doesn't make a bad port.

The issues you bring up…very finicky helicopter controls and cars feeling like ice-skating…those are both present on the console versions…that's how they designed the game.
I'm 100% sure noone on consoles tried to fly a helicopter with K+M.
So no.

The base of the port is a disaster. Who needs graphics options and who cares for FPS or resolutions if default PC standard input controls are retarded. Port reports have to start from UI. Graphics options leave for last please.

Other than graphics how is the Tales of symphonia port (using kb/m). I.e, does it have a good and reasonable kb/m interface? The thing that turned me off on dark souls is the interface was AWFUL. One of the worse interface ever. I'm currently trying to play Dogma and while better than dark soul it is taking a bit to get used to it.

Other than graphics how is the Tales of symphonia port (using kb/m). I.e, does it have a good and reasonable kb/m interface?

Well I don't have the PC version, but....
Since the original game uses a simplified beat'em up battle system (with lots of hold-to-modify action buttons), I guess gamepad is a must for the optimal experience.
I sincerely doubt whether the game is actually playable with a keyboard.

Just imagine playing Street Fighter with kb/m.... theoretically it is possible, but... oh well.

Let us try for a more balanced way of thinking. GTAV's PC port is overall VERY good, one of the best actually. Just because you don't like a few game design choices like car physics and VERY tricky helicopter controls, that doesn't make a bad port.
You really need to abandon your habit of preaching Brumbek. You voice your own opinion and then start a sermon about why somebody else's opinion is wrong because it's different than yours...

Back
Top Bottom