The TV Series discussion thread

I've only seen the first couple of episodes of Stranger Things 2, but I like it so far. The slower pace doesn't bother me at all.

I actually think that the nostalgia element is not all that significant to the enjoyment. I think the aesthetic side of it - the direction, photography, sound design - are just in a league of their own, creating a strong sense of place, and a world that draws you in. It may be that the period element has led them to give extra focus to that aspect, and raised the quality, but I think their work could be equally effective in another setting.

The writing, in terms of plot, is nothing special (and wasn't in the first one, either.) But the dialog is very human, and the characters are strong. I also like that these characters are generally nice, if flawed, people, trying to do their best. It makes a very welcome change from the grinding cynicism and cruelty that typifies a lot of TV drama.

I've only seen the first couple of episodes of Stranger Things 2, but I like it so far. The slower pace doesn't bother me at all.

I'll be curious to hear what you thought about it after you've seen all 9 episodes. Imo, it gets stronger as it goes on, and the third act is where it's really at.

There was one thing I definitely didn't like, but thankfully it wasn't focused on much. A certain plot device that had a touch of Jar Jar Binks to it. :)

We've watched the first four episodes of series two on Stranger Things, and enjoying it just as much as the first series. An episode on the night of Halloween was just perfect =).

There was one thing I definitely didn't like, but thankfully it wasn't focused on much. A certain plot device that had a touch of Jar Jar Binks to it. :)

Oh dear Lord... don't tell me D'Art is going to grow up to be Jar Jar Binks! No, actually don't tell me. I must learn for myself.

So I pretty much caught up with all of The Good Place. Season two is still airing on NBC. The great news is that it is again, only a 13 episode season, (currently in episode 7) so there will be no fluff just straight to arc story telling.

The show has pretty much reaffirmed my faith in episodic situational comedies. Good writers with good acting talent all going in one direction, kinda. If you haven't seen the show jump in at the very beginning. If you liked Park and Recreation you should love this show. It's hard to specifically talk about the show itself because it takes so many surprising twists, that for me were mostly unexpected.

Thanks Carny for the heads up. . . I'll pay you back . . . in the good place (?)

My current favorite TV show The Orville has been renewed for a second season, praise our lord Avis!

My current favorite TV show The Orville has been renewed for a second season, praise our lord Avis!
I'm just a couple of episodes in and it's not bad but needs to get a lot better to call it my favorite. People compare it all the time to Star trek. I can see that of course, though for me it has more of a hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy vibe than anything else.

Especially the zoo episode.

I've started to like Orville a bit more, but I still don't think it's all that great. The latest episode put me in mind of a toothless Black Mirror knockoff. I'm kind of surprised it got renewed, but I certainly prefer it to Discovery, which I'm starting to find unwatchable.

I've started to like Orville a bit more, but I still don't think it's all that great. The latest episode put me in mind of a toothless Black Mirror knockoff. I'm kind of surprised it got renewed, but I certainly prefer it to Discovery, which I'm starting to find unwatchable.

The episode "Majority Rule" was written before Black Mirror season 3, and inspired by the 2015 book So you've been publicly shamed.

The episode "Majority Rule" was written before Black Mirror season 3, and inspired by the 2015 book So you've been publicly shamed.

It may well have been. My charge isn't that it's plagiarism - it's that it reminded me of a poor man's Black Mirror episode. I thought the humor of the guy 'grinding' on the statue was painfully unfunny, and everything else was obvious and predictable.

While I totally agree with you, that is the Seth McF style!! :)

I haven't watched any TV in years,minus a little Cardinals baseball, but I was gonna watch Star Trek till I read about the all access shenanigans.

I haven't watched any TV in years,minus a little Cardinals baseball, but I was gonna watch Star Trek till I read about the all access shenanigans.

I think it's worth watching if you're a fan of Star Trek in general. I wouldn't pay to access it though. I'm not ashamed to say that I've used other means to watch it. ;)

Majority Rule was really quite good, though not as good as the Black Mirror episode with the killer bee-bots. Have no desire whatsoever to watch the new ST series knowing that it can't do the type of ironic humor I love and that it will be completely lame compared to The Orville.

I grew tired of The Orvile after the first four episodes and never went back. Discovery, while probably not as good as any of the previous ST series, is still far more entertaining to me.

Just watched the last episode of The Orville "Into the Fold", wow, just wow, loved it. Probably my favorite episode so far and that's saying a lot.

I'm liking Discover so far, with some minor reservations. Orville seems cheap and low-brow, and incorporates the boring-est aspects of TNG and Voyager. No thanks.

Good News! CBS is rebooting The Twilight Zone. (https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...t-zone-get-new-life-cbs-all-access/827799001/)
Bad News! It'll be exclusive (in the US at least) for CBS All Access.

Produced by Jordan Peele, no less. Peele, of course, did the creative and unusual Get Out (2017) which means that it probably won't be a hit since folks seem to just want the same old thing and not something different, if most of the posters on this forum are any indication, who only seem to be able to relate to things like yet another Star Trek series or a prospective Lord of the Rings teevee show :roll:

Back
Top Bottom