IDE for Linux?

P

pibbur who

Looking for an IDE for Linux (openSuse). Which one? Eclipse? KDevelop? Others?

I will use it for C++ development, possibly including other languages eventually.

For the record, I like Visual Sutido for Windows progrramming.

pibbur who knows that real Unix wizards program directly in machine code using cat > (https://www.levenez.com/unix/guru.html).

Last edited:
Hardly required, but I definitely prefer using an IDE.

Some years ago I used emacs, configured/extended to work as one.

pibbur who may have been spoiled by VS.

PS. I may have misunderstood what you meant. Can vi be configured/used like an IDE (integrated compilation, debugging, navigating between source files/classes and more?). DS.

Personally I've always used vi; but I know others who use emacs… Not sure anything more elaborate is required in the way of an IDE ;)

I use Emacs on Linux and love it. I've been using it to learn C for a while, and it's worked well enough for me. I can't say the same for C++.

I’ve switched to Visual Studio Code for all of my development activities. It has loads of extensions that allow intellisense, compiling and debugging from within Visual Studio Code for a wide range of programming languages.
I am aware that there are other IDEs that do the same, but I just like Visual Studio Code better, even if it is from MS :)

Small joke - sorry. If you like MS visual whatever; it is available for linux (I think it is free):

https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/setup/linux

Hardly required, but I definitely prefer using an IDE.

Some years ago I used emacs, configured/extended to work as one.

pibbur who may have been spoiled by VS.

PS. I may have misunderstood what you meant. Can vi be configured/used like an IDE (integrated compilation, debugging, navigating between source files/classes and more?). DS.

Geany is another option for IDEs. Your distro should have packages for it and there's a good chance it's already installed.

In my experience, most UNIX/Linux programmers don't actually use IDEs, though. Beyond the old standbys like vi/vim and Emacs, Sublime Text and Atom are pretty popular editors lately among programmers.

Geany is another option for IDEs. Your distro should have packages for it and there's a good chance it's already installed.

In my experience, most UNIX/Linux programmers don't actually use IDEs, though. Beyond the old standbys like vi/vim and Emacs, Sublime Text and Atom are pretty popular editors lately among programmers.

I'd shy away from Atom and VSCode. Both programs are bloated as hell. If you need a sane GUI, Sublime Text is the way. Fast, efficient and extendable.

For C / C++ I would say that a text editor doesn't really cut it. I would say use this http://www.codeblocks.org/ , you will thank me later Pibbur ;) after you have tried it for a week or two.

I'd shy away from Atom and VSCode. Both programs are bloated as hell. If you need a sane GUI, Sublime Text is the way. Fast, efficient and extendable.
If you need a text editor that would do, but as an IDE it isn't really up to the task. Comparing any text editor with an IDE, will probably make the IDE look bloated in comparison, but it also is comparing apples with pears. The question was for an IDE.

That said I find Visual Studio Code not bloated, it is quite bare without any plugins installed.

Back
Top Bottom