Gothic 3 20% Rating for G3: Forsaken Gods

Bateman

Watchdog
RPGWatch Donor
at a German gaming-site

click here :)

(be aware that this site is not to be taken very serious, their strategy is to gain attention and mock their imature audience by giving controversial ratings)

For us Gothic fans this game is a disaster,we hope patches can fix this up because I havent seen anyone satisfied with it.I guess its only unfair that a Gothic game gets such ratings.But no gothic was welcomed by the reviewers so this does not surprise me.

Could you please translate the pros and cons cause I havent had a proper laugh since i saw this

Last edited:
at a German gaming-site

click here :)

(be aware that this site is not to be taken very serious, their strategy is to gain attention and mock their imature audience by giving controversial ratings)

Yes, they like to be "against" certain things on principle.

It's also worth noting they always review the retail version without patches. This is a viable position, although one I don't agree with. Nowadays most people have access to the internet. They will download the patches and have a different gaming experience.

Yes, they like to be "against" certain things on principle.

It's also worth noting they always review the retail version without patches. This is a viable position, although one I don't agree with. Nowadays most people have access to the internet. They will download the patches and have a different gaming experience.

As silly as i think their stance is against patches, in this case patching wouldn't make much difference. :)

I bought it, simply because it's Gothic :D Haven't had time to play it yet, too much to do :(

I got it and finished it.... and I don't think it's -that- bad.

That is if you manage to look past the bugs ^^'

This add-on really is in a broken state... but I'd say if they manage to patch it and remove all the bugs there's a pretty decent game in there. So I'd advice anyone considering getting it to err.... wait a few months at least.

It's obviously nowhere as good a Gothic I&II.... but all things considering I don't think it's really worse than Gothic 3, and eck... at least it has a plot this time. :p

-Sergorn

I got it and finished it.... and I don't think it's -that- bad.

That is if you manage to look past the bugs ^^'

This add-on really is in a broken state... but I'd say if they manage to patch it and remove all the bugs there's a pretty decent game in there. So I'd advice anyone considering getting it to err.... wait a few months at least.

It's obviously nowhere as good a Gothic I&II.... but all things considering I don't think it's really worse than Gothic 3, and eck... at least it has a plot this time. :p

-Sergorn

At least it has a plot this time? What's that supposed to mean? Gothic 3 was just to big to be my cup of tea. The main characters weren't worked out well, because they didn't work in chapters for number 3. But saying that it didn't have any plot is just a lie.

Saying Gothic 3 didn't have a plot might be an exageration - but it didn't have *much* of one and the little there was represents like a few hours of gameplay before the end.... and it's not very exciting (I also thought it was inconsistent with what Gothic 2's ending hinted at but that's definitly arguable)

And clearly one of the main problem with Gothic 3... is that it feels like you're spending the entire games doing nothing more than side-quest, without really having a chance to participate in an actual story. The fact that none of the characters seems to have any kind of depth even the most important ones doesn't help either though.

I understand what PB was trying to do and how they wanted a totally non-linear approach, but it definitly feels like they've sacrified any form of real plot-line for that. And that's pretty much the sentiment of most Gothic fans I've talked with, even those who loved the game.

Comparatively, Forsaken Gods takes a approach that is closer the G1/G2 formula in the way to tell its story. It's not a brillant success by any means, tends to feel like a rehash and is still lightyears ahead from the earlier episodes.... but I'd argue it was enough to want to see the end in spite of all the bugs. While Gothic 3 really bored me to death by the time I got to the end - and that's from someone who feels Gothic 1&2 are amongst the best CRPGs ever made.

In any case I would mark both G3 and FG as decent but forgettable anyway... I really hope Spellbound won't screw up Gothic 4.

-Sergorn

It's been released? Localized versions too? Gothic 3 has been a major disappointment and in the end a not too bad but frustrating game that I'll never finish from far. But I couldn't skip the expansion, I wonder why I didn't notice it in stores.

I think you're generous to call it a viable position, considering that they are a WEBSITE. I imagine there are people who don't know how or have access to patch. But the number of people who don't patch BUT DO read web reviews? Hard to imagine there's too many of them.

They don't care whether they're right or wrong. They want to be in the news. Diskussions -> more hits -> more market share -> more or better ads -> $$$.

Is there any entertainment in the plot/story or is it so bad that one should skip the game to "save himself" from the retardation? I have only good memories from gothics lore/world/story. Would this addon spoil it?

---->YES<----

Am I a rich man? No, but I dropped $20 on this just out of fondness for G1 and G2. Not especially for G3.

Having built a new computer fairly recently, clearly more than twice as powerful as the one I played G3 on, was I surprised to discover that Forsaken Gods ran as badly as G3 before all that tweaking we had to do? Not really, given what I had heard about it.

The dialogue is pretty messed up, with the other character occasionally saying your lines, NPC's speaking in the voice of several different actors in the same conversation, etc. Quest lines get mixed together. This is after the latest 10809 patch.

You (the Nameless One) have turned into a pushy a**hole, roaming Myrtana doing simple quests to prove your trustworthiness to the likes of Anog and Inog, who should know better. Stun-lock is still there, but much reduced.

As yet, I don't have any verdict on this stand-alone add-on. I'm curious enough (and not too terribly annoyed) to keep playing. We'll see...

My Forsaken Gods kept giving me a headache-causing flickering screen. So I uninstalled it, and will give it another try when it's patched up to the point where G4 is now. I think I've given up with JoWood ever caring about the technical quality of the games they publish.

I won't be buying G4 when it comes out, I'll plan on only buying it about a year after.
Now Risen, -that I'm quite interested to see how it's going to turn out...

Btw, some of the links posted above are pretty funny, especially the barking conversation... :jester: :sarcasticclap:

Further adventures in Forsaken Gods...

Definitely true that even after the 10809 patch there is quite a bit of user tweaking to be done. Somehow I got rid of the 30 second hitches (which was nice for eating breakfast and playing at the same time, but very annoying otherwise). Still getting sub-20fps in towns (dual-core, 4gigs ram, radeon 4850).

As I mentioned, our hero is a bit Mussolini-like, cursing out nearly everybody as cowards and traitors who will soon change their ways under his upcoming regime... The game is running fairly smoothly although at the moment, having reunited Anog and Inog after much running around, I am roaming around rather aimlessly hoping to latch on to some plot thread or other. If you really like Gothic and don't mind tweaking, there is some fun to be had in this game.

The walkthrough is useful, as are the Jowood forums for explaining the various glitches.

RivianWitch, I read the following about flickering on JoWood, and the response was that this worked.
"just drop the shadows to zero in de custom settings panel and the problem is gone (at least that's how I solved the problem). Hope it'll work for you too."

Back
Top Bottom