WotR Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Tips & Tricks & Help

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
I will try next tme it happens...I don't think hovering showed anything, but I can hope. It realy does seem like certain actions are barred if this "!" is there.
I am thinking I may know the reason.

Is this happening usually at the start of combat?

It happens sometime that in combat you may only start with one action and not both move and action. So if you use that to just move you may not be able to attack.

DDO is mmo.
Pathfinder is not mmo and thank god for that.

DDO is based on the Dungeons & Dragons rules set, this is what I tried to express.

You can base anything on any rules.
If it's mmo, it not singleplayer. Regardless of rules, mmos simply cannot have designs singleplayer games do.

That aside, this last patch seemingly broke a shitton of stuff in the game, not just the crusade, a new critical gamebreak issue discovered:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1184370/discussions/0/5086242673975595351/
MaLal [developer] 3 minutes ago
Critical known issue.
Crusaders! An important announcement:
There is a critical issue with two companions: Sosiel and Daeran.
If you have a romance with them and call them to Midnight Fane at the beginning of the 5th chapter - it will irreversibly break your save file.
We are already working on fixing this, and expect the issue to be resolved in 1.0.6 update, approximately next week.
But it's important for you to NOT call them on the live version, for now, an update will not repair a broken save file.
As a hint, I guess the best option if you don't want to put the game on hold now, is to refuse every romance offer, not just ones mentioned. Better safe than sorry.

Sorry Queen, then again I'm not sorry, you stole my whole army. You stole maylander's army too, yet he didn't kill you because I guess some illegal stuff is less illegal than another. ;)
I promise to open a Greybor appreciation thread.
Btw, is he romanceable by any means? Asking for a friend. :evilgrin:

One reason I worry less about difficulty is what Pladio said in that you need meta-game knowledge.

I like to try and solve things the first time through. Obviously if I die I reload but I prefer a level of difficulty that doesn't require me to first experience a battle to then reload and repeat it X more times to master it.

That being said I know people love that kind of thing - mastering combat encounters (my best friend is a master at figuring out ways to game the system and its his greatest joy in playing games).

I am not a fan of combat enough to want to keep doing it, especially in a long game. I do have some advantage of being very familiar with these games and rules, so that does help me to at least form a battle plan when first engaging. If I die I then may change strategies but overall I prefer to not die and win the first time.

What are your stats like? Are you going to melee a fair bit or not?

Also, what's the alignment and intended mythic path?

Um, I don't think I'll melee unless I run out of scrolls/pots/wands/whatnot. I just have a background choice that makes me not totally useless if I end up running out of everything. So far, the game seems to give you a lot of stuff to buff everybody else, if my main runs out of spells. I use the crossbow a ton when I do run out.

I'm lawful good and I have no idea on path. Reading suggests Azata and Gold Dragon later, so maybe that. My current idea is to buff melee if I run out of spell stuff that interests me. My stats are low str/int/wis/ high dex/ch and a bit of con. I'm an aasimar, so I got bonus to ch/dx iirc. Pretty sure I lowballed Str to 7.

One reason I worry less about difficulty is what Pladio said in that you need meta-game knowledge.

I like to try and solve things the first time through. Obviously if I die I reload but I prefer a level of difficulty that doesn't require me to first experience a battle to then reload and repeat it X more times to master it.

That being said I know people love that kind of thing - mastering combat encounters (my best friend is a master at figuring out ways to game the system and its his greatest joy in playing games).

I am not a fan of combat enough to want to keep doing it, especially in a long game. I do have some advantage of being very familiar with these games and rules, so that does help me to at least form a battle plan when first engaging. If I die I then may change strategies but overall I prefer to not die and win the first time.
Man I hear you and support this 100%.
I lost my mind in some cases on what's supposed to be a normal difficulty, only to find out it's in fact bugged. Dreaded Blackwater is an example, but it was at least fixed.

Then there is an unkillable demon in a certain cave, dunno if they fixed it, I've already posted - you kill it and then it regains all of it's HP. Solution? Set the game to story mode before entering the cave and suddenly it's not reviving itself till doomsday. WTF.

Oh and I don't know if you managed to kill Playful Darkness in chapter 4. I have no idea what I haven't tried on normal, it ate my party for breakfast. After wasting an hour I set it to story mode. And Jesus Christ it still managed to kill half of my party.
So I thought it has to have some ubercrazy loot, and all I got from it was trash.

But okay devs tend to troll you with loot, you kill a Balor and you get what from it? A longsword+1. Isn't that a joke? :)

In short, when you feel you want a challenge, you go JDR route of picking the nightmare mode. When you want to enjoy the story, I see no reason to bother with minmaxing for the combat.
Difficulty options exist so you can choose at any time what you want from the game.
The only thing that bothers me is the annoying Enigma part. I wish there was a sort of newgame+ where in the replay you wouldn't have to solve all those annoying and repetitive puzzles in the pyramid. There are just too many of them and I, the idiot, didn't write down the solutions on paper.
I use the crossbow a ton when I do run out.

I'm lawful good and I have no idea on path. Reading suggests Azata and Gold Dragon later, so maybe that.
You need to finish Drezen definetly. There are several absolutely amazing crossbows you find after that!
I tol you already, once you conquer Drezen and start playing chapter 3, you will not want to push to chapter 4 but will replay ch3 over and over, it's so enormous on the stuff variety.

Azata is hardly lawful, unless those heavy drugs azata hippies most definetly use are not illegal stuff in the setting. ;)
But don't let that stop you, there are no consequences of stepping out of norm per se, only story consequences your actions will produce later.
Dunno about GD, refused to go that path because it strips my pet dragon away. I mean, I become a dragon and lose a dragon. WTF.

Last edited:
You need to finish Drezen definetly. There are several absolutely amazing crossbows you find after that!
I tol you already, once you conquer Drezen and start playing chapter 3, you will not want to push to chapter 4 but will replay ch3 over and over, it's so enormous on the stuff variety.
…
Azata is hardly lawful, unless those heavy drugs azata hippies most definetly use are not illegal stuff in the setting. ;)
But don't let that stop you, there are no consequences of stepping out of norm per se, only story consequences your actions will produce later.
Dunno about GD, refused to go that path because it strips my pet dragon away. I mean, I become a dragon and lose a dragon. WTF.

Well, at least I finally picked the class I'll continue with. I enjoyed this flame fanatic the most out of my dozens of builds. At level 1 and 2 he can hit stuff even in melee, but that won't last long if I don't add any melee feats. I'll only do that if there isn't any magic feats to purchase. This guy is like the fire guy from the fantastic four ;)

I don't remember who was a firecreep in F4… Alba perhaps? :p

That works for me ;) Any tips for the order of things in the market square? The place where you get Ember and make a bridge? Can you clear that whole map w/o triggering the Defender's Rest attack?

Yes, you can, so just do it all. The attack is time based, not based on what you do, so do as much as possible.

That works for me ;) Any tips for the order of things in the market square? The place where you get Ember and make a bridge? Can you clear that whole map w/o triggering the Defender's Rest attack?

Yes, just don't rest forever as you may trigger the attack after you leave the market.
Try relying on scrolls and stuff if you need them.

Um, I don't think I'll melee unless I run out of scrolls/pots/wands/whatnot. I just have a background choice that makes me not totally useless if I end up running out of everything. So far, the game seems to give you a lot of stuff to buff everybody else, if my main runs out of spells. I use the crossbow a ton when I do run out.

I'm lawful good and I have no idea on path. Reading suggests Azata and Gold Dragon later, so maybe that. My current idea is to buff melee if I run out of spell stuff that interests me. My stats are low str/int/wis/ high dex/ch and a bit of con. I'm an aasimar, so I got bonus to ch/dx iirc. Pretty sure I lowballed Str to 7.

Interesting. Thematically, that's basically the Angel path then, with Gold Dragon as a later option. Only issue is, Gold Dragon doesn't have set stats, so it'll base its strength on yours (it's +10 I believe), meaning you'll be a somewhat weak dragon if your strength is fairly low. Maybe go Dragon Disciple from 16 to 20 to boost it a bit? Do you have a Dragon bloodline?

Azata certainly works, but they're chaotic, not lawful. There's also Aeon, but they're lawful neutral.

If you go Aeon, you need to make sure to pick summoning spells, as they buff their summons a fair bit. Otherwise, focus on a mix crowd control, buffs and damage.

Here's a good build:
https://www.neoseeker.com/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/builds/Main_Character#Saucerer

However, this is based on the Lich path, so I would probably replace Necromancy with Evocation, skip the Wail of the Banshee speciality, and replace some of the Necromancy spells with Evocation spells. And, if you're going Dragon, I would go Dragon Disciple towards the end instead of Loremaster. Four levels of DD is needed to get +4 Strength.

Erm, Azata might sound chaotic on paper and in most of dialogues it does pull the chaotic response, but my Azata ended up neutral.
Many dialogue chaotic options offered were absolutely wrong, totally and horribly - fit only for a prankster/trickster, for a low IQ person or for a professional troll. On the other hand many lawful picks, especially in crusade decrees, fit Azata. Not sure if it's bugs bugs everywhere, but I don't think so.
When you put both in the mix, a lil' bit here, a lil' bit there, you end up neutral as the game recalculates your alignment based on responses and actions.

Here's one example.
You will find out a certain person is a spy partially responsible for many dead people.
As Azata, loving everyone and everything, understanding why the stuff happened, feeling for everyone, the proper decision is to put the spy in the brig which is a lawful thing per the game.
As Trickster, what brig we're talking about? No, how about I turn the spy against the other side, and I do that, which is chaotic.

I'm quite unsure if you can stretch stuff enough to end as lawful Azata, but I'm not the right person to ask something like that, right?
There is a lawful robot and there is a lawful "doesn't put lawfulness above the major plot point - winning a war". ;)

Last edited:
Erm, Azata might sound chaotic on paper and in most of dialogues it does pull the chaotic response, but my Azata ended up neutral.
Many dialogue chaotic options offered were absolutely wrong, totally and horribly - fit only for a prankster/trickster, for a low IQ person or for a professional troll. On the other hand many lawful picks, especially in crusade decrees, fit Azata. Not sure if it's bugs bugs everywhere, but I don't think so.
When you put both in the mix, a lil' bit here, a lil' bit there, you end up neutral as the game recalculates your alignment based on responses and actions.
Yes, I agree. Chaotic is too often the silly response, not the casual, make-it-up-as-you-go-along style that Azata have. To me, they're basically hakuna matata, which doesn't mean they're pranksters.
I'm quite unsure if you can stretch stuff enough to end as lawful Azata, but I'm not the right person to ask something like that, right?
There is a lawful robot and there is a lawful "doesn't put lawfulness above the major plot point - winning a war". ;)
Lawful is generally pretty strict, as you can see from the responses labelled lawful. Most of them are very harsh, often leading to executions and similar, so roleplaying a lawful character is actually hard. Most people start out as lawful good are likely to end up neutral good, as picking the "good" response instead of the "lawful" response means you end up neutral pretty fast. I personally find that a bit odd, as I don't find the two mutually exclusive, but it is what it is. Kingmaker was also a bit too strict on what lawful means.

I played lawful good this time around, but I think my next run will be a neutral good Azata. Likely a Bloodrager (12), Mutation Warrior (4), Dragon Disciple (4) or some such thing, and then a Gold Dragon at mythic rank 8. Or something along those lines. Maybe 11, 5, 4. We'll see.

Not interested in Angel, which is the main LG path? Azata is my favorite and Gold Dragon seems cool although perhaps a little too good for my taste.

The discussion on lawful and chaotic and so on I find very interesting so please keep them up ... even if not the best thread for it, sorry Joxer :(

People really have different concepts of these I find - the proof being I have already heard different ideas on them from Maylander, Joxer, and Neredia that are different from my own and that is just 4 people.

One thing I try to consider is what is Lawful in the context of this world? This isn't a civilized modern society. It is a more brutal, somewhat feudal (well in some places) like setting. The Crusade run cities seems like a more strict European Christian setting maybe (not an expert on history or religion ... so going on vague things I have in memory). Some cultures are far more lax and some are probably even more strict (like Chelexian .. sp? The Devil run city based on Law).

What I am getting at maybe lawful in these places is more brutal because of the time period and the situation with demons and a lot of difficulty knowing who your enemies are because of demons and cultists. Also this is military. Isn't military more strict about things like desertion, not following orders, etc? I think of Regil and the Hellknights.

Now LG needs to have some mercy but these are still mostly crusaders fighting a centuries long war against demons. To me some of the LG seems very harsh but mostly feels like it fits ... even though I don't always agree.

Azanta seem fairly carefree, swashbucklers, Errol Flynn, Robin Hoods, Harrison Ford aka Han Solo and Raiders of the lost Ark), as well as bards, creative people, free spirits, many whimsical but others not. Very, very diverse. So I have been okay with most of the dialogue although some choices seem too flippant for a Knight Commander.

The Crusade choices do show there is some consideration taken to try and get the Crusaders to work with the Free Crusaders, like when you have the followers of the drunk god do recruiting versus combat.

Anyhow I still feel, for myself, that in general the choices line up well enough in my head for the way they are. Sometimes it is hard because sometimes being lawful feels like it trumps good ... but usually in cases where it is the individual. Meaning lawful puts the larger good first - so harsh on an individual to hopefully benefit the greater good - as in discipline and keeping order.

On that topic, one problem I had in my playthrough is that I wanted to remain CG, but because the Chaotic choices were always far too random and nonsensical, I kept opting for Good choices, which often were way too charitative for my character's way of thinking, but at least pointed in the general right direction.

Because of that, my alignment kept shifting to Neutral Good, which I found a little silly. I feel a good choice should nudge you just towards good, not also towards neutral. I'd be fine with it if there were Neutral Good or Lawful Good choice, and I take the neutral good one, but because the game only lets you make generic alignment choices I couldn't counter it in any way but using a number of scrolls of atonement during the campaign just to be reset to CG.

In my case, it was purely roleplay/background reasons but I can imagine people playing paladins wanting to remain LG without resorting to "lawful" choices like executing their soldiers or calling people incompetent scrubs in their faces finding a difficulty levelling in their class while roleplaying in a very valid way. I can't imagine how Seelah herself manages to keep getting Paladin levels under the game's own system, for example. Only due to the fact that companions aren't subject to alignment shifts, really.

I feel you aren't allowed the same lenience as the NPCs who inhabit the world to nuance your character choices without being pushed out of the alingments that you feel your character belongs to.

Well let me ask you all something.
At certain point of the game a bunch of unexpected guests make a pompous entry asking you for permission to join your side of the crusade.
Mimics.

While trickster answer would be "yay, yes of course!", I'm kinda not sure what answer would feel proper for certain other paths.
Aeon for example would reply with what? :D

Hint? Tip? Spoiler? Okay…
No, sadly, you can't have them in your army on the map regardless of your answer. :(

Back
Top Bottom