Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yes, but what do you do when several issues ALL want the ONE same advisor. I gather they are often random (I've had the same one several times) so there can be a definite imbalance where I have nothing for some advisors, and three or more all wanting the same person!!
Issues rarely want only one advisor, this just means you didn't have other advisors that issue can use unlocked.

Game does a poor job of explaining how kingdom management works. I had to learn most of the stuff from forums and other people instead of playing the game.

YOu get new advisor positions by having 60 points in kingdom stats connected to positions you already have advisors. Like when Military stat reaches 60 you will get stability advisor, 60 divine gives you arcane advisor and 60 relations gives you espionage advisor.

YOu get new advisor positions by having 60 points in kingdom stats connected to positions you already have advisors. Like when Military stat reaches 60 you will get stability advisor, 60 divine gives you arcane advisor and 60 relations gives you espionage advisor.

Thanks this is new to me. :) Had no idea how that worked.

Thanks this is new to me. :) Had no idea how that worked.
It is terribly explained. By ingame explanation you think you need to raise the stat of the advisor you want to unlock. So in my first campaign I spent a lot of BP to build arcane buildings in my villages to get Arcane to 20 so I can unlock Arcane advisor rank 1. And then nothing happened. Only then I googled it and found about how it actually works.

Also, there are two situations in game that give or take away unrest. Both times it is better to go for reducing unrest because unrest affects all checks that advisors do to solve problems/opportunities. On Serene you even get a bonus to all checks.

There are so many trap economy projects that are completely useless. They will all give you more BP in endgame except you don't need more BP in endgame.
What is worse they will cost a lot of BP in early game where you need to spent it on region unlocking, buying buildings that will let you level up your advisors and similar stuff.
The biggest trap are those projects that give you 10 to 15% off cost of some special buildings. Most of those are only worth it if you make a bunch of those buildings but you don't need to. You can get to rank X in all advisors easily without that.

Issues rarely want only one advisor, this just means you didn't have other advisors that issue can use unlocked.

Game does a poor job of explaining how kingdom management works. I had to learn most of the stuff from forums and other people instead of playing the game.

@Corwin; @Lemonhead;

I don't think it's simply 60 points - rather 60 or more points + rank 3. I had 60 points in divine but my High Priest didn't advise me to get Magister until I reached rank 3.

I sort of mentioned it in the review but I didn't want to give away too much information so it doesn't end up a lengthy guide rather than a review:

Initially, only 5 advisor slots are available to your kingdom, the rest of the positions will open up naturally as you increase your kingdom stats and expand the borders. For example, once the military stat reaches the appropriate rank, your General will advise you to hire a Warden.

Regent --> Grand Diplomat --> Minister
Councilor --> Curator
General --> Warden
High Priest --> Magister
Treasurer --> None

An update for Kingmaker was just queued and download in my steam client. I hope it fixes all my corrupted save games :uneasy:

Good luck, I hope your saves will be all ok.

EDIT: Hmm.. no update on Steam for me... maybe its just for OSX?

Good luck, I hope your saves will be all ok.

EDIT: Hmm.. no update on Steam for me… maybe its just for OSX?

Yeah I think it's just OSX, they posted a message to Steam yesterday that they were working on a fix. Gonna try it when I get home from work.

Edit: Saves work again. Yay :biggrin:

Last edited:
I need a tip/help for the final battle:

I finished LK in story mode last time before patch 1.2 - I'm attempting LK in normal difficulty this time. I'm level 19 party and yet I'm getting smashed, especially at third phase (freaking wild hunt phase). Can anyone provide me with a tip how you got through this fight?

AAARRGGHHH!!!

I need a tip/help for the final battle:

I finished LK in story mode last time before patch 1.2 - I'm attempting LK in normal difficulty this time. I'm level 19 party and yet I'm getting smashed, especially at third phase (freaking wild hunt phase). Can anyone provide me with a tip how you got through this fight?

AAARRGGHHH!!!
The last time I played it, I simply created a massively min/max type of power party due to the final part of the game, so it was fairly straight forward. Even without that though, the key is likely to be massive buffing, which you re-apply after the 1st phase, since there's a lot of dispelling going on at that point.

Do you have a spell called "Legendary Proportions"? It's a level 7 spells that'll turn your fighters into mean machines.

Also, make sure the transition between the phases is smooth by fully healing everyone before triggering the next stage.

I love that spell (Legendary Propotions). I always cast it on my wolf companion to make him into a giant Fenrir like Wolf.

I summon help (spells and some items I have) for distractions, try to keep the party spread out and ranged at long range. Rebuff my tanks after dispells.

Still a hard fight. First time I was barely level 16 and had not removed all the curse and only had access to level 5 or 6 spells. Second time I was level 20 and had fully removed all curse parts. That was much easier. I also took full advantage of the Storytellers "instant" rests so that when I went in for the final battle I was fully rested. I tried to be careful with my buffs so they would last.

Everyone who could cast them had mass heal spells and a variety of scrolls, potions, and items that could help with healing and buffs and removing bad effects.

I didn't buy any mass healing scrolls before I took the portal to capital... Is there any merchant who sells it before LK? I might have to re-do half of chapter 7 just to purchase those scrolls... Argh.

YES!!!!!! Finished :D I didn't even had to re-do the chapter 7. I just loaded Tristian with mass heals (not scrolls, just spell memorisation), and swapped a couple of mage/sorcerer spells around.

Using Greater Shout on Wild Hunt turned the tide around so quick

Final thoughts:

Most of encounters are well balanced now (providing you are using right spells) with the patch 1.2 but mini bosses and final boss encounters in chapter 6 is too easy now - notified Owlcats, hopefully they will balance that bit out.

Yay, what good fun. By the way, anyone finished the game with The Wild Cards companion?

I got sad endings :( Not sure how to make both happy! In fact, the ending I got by finishing the game in chap 6 was much happier than one in chap 7 with their personal quests completed.

I did, but I don't remember exactly what the ending was.

I seem to recall the "evil" one wanting to go with her father, and the "good" one remaining. The actual ending slides were somewhat sad, but I really don't remember what happened, so it can't have been bad enough for me to specifically notice.

I've read a spoiler somewhere that for the new companions you need to
take the "neutral" route in their quests to get a happy ending.
But as I'm currently busy with Geneforge (absolutely love the setting! should've tried this series earlier) I haven't had the time to play Pathfinder. :p

@purpleblob;, how are you enjoying Varnhold's Lot so far blobby? I will probably return when the 3rd DLC drops. Is VL pretty good so far for ya?

@purpleblob;, how are you enjoying Varnhold's Lot so far blobby? I will probably return when the 3rd DLC drops. Is VL pretty good so far for ya?

Yeah, I'm enjoying it quite a lot :) I'm about to finish my second playthrough of the "new game" portion of the DLC - I will import this save to my main game.

I was a little disappointed with the DLC in my first run, mainly because it didn't really match some of my expectations.

First of all, I expected Maegar to be some sort of warrior type class - instead he was a rogue! His voice also don't really match what I'd imaged. Maegar and his advisor Cephal are default companions and you get a choice of traveling with 3 pre-made mercenaries or rolling your own characters. 3 pre-made merc were a mix of classes that I wasn't used to (Scaled Fist (Monk archetype), Herald Caller (Priest archetype), Freebooter (Ranger archetype)), so I had tough time throughout with the combat. They also didn't have any dialogues although I really did enjoy Maegar and Cephal's banter. I also was hoping the DLC shows what exactly happened when Maegar and his subjects after they were abducted by V but that wasn't the case.

So for the second playthrough, I rolled my own mercs and it was heaps more fun. Make sure at least one of your characters has high perception - the final dungeon has lots of fun secrets which I missed out on in my first run because I failed the check. Make sure you experiment with spells a lot too in the final dungeon (hint: use dimension door or teleport spells), you never know what surprise you will get ;) Most of the encounters are set piece, so minimal trash mobs. Very fun dungeon crawling experience.

Thanks for the rundown miss blobby! Appreciate it. :) So when you go to import the DLC results when you've completed it, it doesn't matter where in the story you are, they get imported, right? For example I'm near the end of Chapter 5 in
Pitax
and I'd like to do the Varnhold's Lot stuff and import it into my game. That's possible like you mentioned in the other thread, right?

Also, how many hours of content is in the Varnhold's Lot DLC? I might delve back into this sooner than later, but I was going to wait for the 3rd DLC to come out in April.

And I heard there's mechanics additions, too, like new Feats and stuff? Can you talk a little about that?

Back
Top Bottom