RPGWatch @ Gamescom - The Dark Crystal Preview

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Time to play some Gelflings to rescue the world of Thra in The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics, which I had a chance to play at Gamescom.

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance is a new television series that will become available on August 30th and is a prequel to the 1982 The Dark Crystal movie. The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics is a tactical turn-based RPG of which the story is based on the television series and has been in development for over a year now.
The game allows the player to enter the world of Thra and experience the events in the series again, while also adding additional content in the form of new playable characters, stories and environments.

The demo offered two missions and I was handed the controller to play the demo. I usually don't play tactics games, as I simply suck at them. I like my RPGs to be story and exploration heavy, but I had the controller, so I should try to make the best of it.
In the first mission I controlled one character, Deet, who had to rescue 3 sages who were trapped in some sorts of cocoons in a cave. To rescue them I had to move towards them and attack the cocoon, which would then burst open and free the sage. It was not as simple as that sounds, as there were a couple of spitters on the way as well (they looked like spiders). Moving and then attacking is equal to one turn. Attacks can only happen horizontally or vertically on the combat grid, with the exception of the rage ability, which can do diagonal attacks. This part wasn't really very hard, so it gave me some confidence for the next mission, which turned out to be a incorrect.
More information.

There was a demo at the Games Com, but I couldn't bring myself into playing it.

To me, The Dark Crystal is something so utterly unique, that everything trying to expand the original movie makes me feel like it's like exploiting the setting.

I just wished there had been a second movie when Jim Henson still lived.

I remeber watching some making-of documentary that showed pretty well what a difficult task it was making this movie with all puppets. I thought about that documentary when I heard some interview much later with the two South Park guys ranting about how much they regretted arbitrarily deciding to make a puppet movie.

Link leads to a review, where the first pic has sooOoo UGLY red squares for movement indication that it was InstaThrowUp!

They also come in blue and it isn’t a review.

Back
Top Bottom