Remedy - Control - First 13 minutes

Not sure I'll go for it.
I've dodged Quantum Break not only because of the pisspoor port on PC but also due to it's linearity where the idea was plain asking for branching.
Remedy promised Control to be a nonlinear openworld, but I will believe when I see read it in reviews.

I've been excited for it ever since I read a PC Gamer preview. I'm not so excited that I'll buy early, though. Epic vs. Steam won't be an issue by the time I get around to it. ;)

I'm curious about this.

Never actually tried Quantum Break - but I don't think it's for me. I liked Alan Wake to some extent - and the atmosphere was superb.

Liked MP and MP2 quite a bit - considering they were mindless shooters. Then again, I'm a sucker for noir - especially when it's cartoonish and pulpy.

I always felt Remedy were talented and could come up with something more than slick action.

I hope this game proves me right.

Not so interested in Alan Wake but it's great to see the full game show up. It's already wish-listed.

Fyi, here are my thoughts on this game, should you find useful:

Control is a typical Remedy game:
+ excellent technical proficiency (cutting edge, looks really great)
+ superb action gameplay (control / response feels smooth)

- simple and repetitive (a 10-15 hour game with actually 2-5 hours of *really* interesting stuff, lots of forced backtracking)
- misplaced story (forced "mature" storytelling in a simple TPS game, relies heavily on item collecting and enormous text reading to get the full story)

Max Payne 1/2 this is not.
Instead, it is logical progression of Alan Wake -- take it or leave it.

Only 15 hours!?

I regularly complete Max Payne 1 in about 9-10 hours. Max Payne 2 in about 5h. For me game length doesn't mean much, if I love what I'm playing.

I can't remember how much Alan Wake was. I think about 15h for the base game. And about 2-3h for American Nightmare (I loved this one, for some reason it's not as appreciated; I'm either a Remedy fanboy, or I'm seeing something others are not :D )

Good thing about the Alan Wake/Control universe is that Remedy pretty much confirmed they're working on a new game in the same universe. Bad news, it seems to be fully funded by Epic, and this exclusivity will likely be permanent to the Epic Store. Which I'm not a fan of, but Epic giving devs that amazing split (I think devs keep all the profits until 1 million dollars, and then they split 50/50 with Epic. And they get to keep the IP)

What is this game comparable to?

I was a big fan of Max Payne 1 & 2 back in the day and finished both games several times, but I found Alan Wake quite boring and quit early on. Haven't played anything else from them.

In story and themes it's similar to a X-Files/Twilight Zone story. I haven't finished it, since I wanted steam achievements, but I liked it a lot.

As far as gameplay, it's similar to MP and Quantum Break.

My only downside was that they used the Max Payne voice actor for a different character. And that constantly took me out of it.

As you may see the publisher is the same one for DS (505) thus I believe the port won't be bad. If you're interested.

The game has already been running on PC via the Epic Store for a year now. And it ran quite fine on my gaming laptop. Haven't yet managed to run it on my desktop. But it can also be very demanding as I believe it has some raytracing support, if you have the hardware.

Currently raytracing in videogames is in babysteps phase, but for sure is a buzzword that PR agencies and pro gaming media are bullshitting about all over internet.
Without an actual technology to make it blossom, it'll end up like VR helmets.

In other words, just as with upscaled 4K, HDR and other stuff that brought nothing of importance to videogames but were clickbaits, I don't care about it.

I've been looking at this game, but I'm on the fence. Anyone with real experience can tell what it plays like? I haven't played any Max Payne, and I don't like shooters, but I do enjoy Resident Evil kind of games, more focused on the story than the shooting itself.

Back
Top Bottom