Obsidian Entertainment - Tyranny Revealed

Fun fact, in the very short time since this story broke, this news item is the highest viewed news article since Myrthos released the RPGWatch GOTY results back on January 14th, 2016, 15 pages ago, and that post was on the front page for aaaages to finally amass 5,000 views, this one's on 4,000 already.
The tranny reveal puts asses in the seats.

I am sure you watched Xena or Hercules at some point. It is kind of like that.

Maybe you are sure that Morrandir watched Xena, but Im not sure that you played Black Geyser.

Maybe you are sure that Morrandir watched Xena, but Im not sure that you played Black Geyser.
None of us did, but I read enough about it few months ago. Maybe in it a much better game now, we have yet to see.
Crushmaster... LOL

The tranny reveal puts asses in the seats.

Lol, so true. I must admit, when just skimming topics it does look like tranny, even when one knows what the real title is.

On a serious note, I always find it perplexing that so many game developers and forum posters seem to make a song and dance of the fact that RPG fans are generally unpleasable and most are tired of the usual routines when it comes to gameplay and setting, when it's so painfully obvious that when something from a historically traditional RPG development team provides new news everyone zooms to it like flies to trash cans.

Isn't it obvious what people want? What's the big hold-up to providing what is obviously desired? A great example is Dragon Age: Origins. The game came out after a very long drought of traditional RPGs, and was hugely popular, but, for some unknown reason, the devs/producers then decide that they need to reinvent the wheel for each new game and fans of the new games insist on telling people to 'get with the new program', when surely it's just obvious what is wanted.

Then you get the odd poster on a forum say "well yeah, but I'm tired of XYZ repetitive theme", to which they count for about 0.1% of total contribution to the conversation but for some reason get lauded over the 99.9% who just ignore the comment and zoom to the next article which might promise a traditional RPG from a well known RPG dev team.

I mean, it's great that Fergus has an imagination and I've no doubt it makes for a fun social conversation to dream-up new and potentially avant-garde concepts, there's no harm in that certainly, but when its so obvious what people want why do development team bosses seem so reluctant to make what seems so easy and logical to make. Even Pillars of Eternity, it seems like such an easy job, just copy paste something already existing with a new twist, but, again, there's this undercurrent drive to somehow want to reinvent the wheel while even just copy-pasting.

Take Larian, they finally get out of 'relatively' lame action traditional RPGs and finally make something more considered but in the traditional mold and, boom, they're front page news and rolling in millions. People are free to make whatever games they like, but I just don't understand why people seem so determined to make the relatively easy unfeasibly more complicated.

Looks like MCA was Creative Lead in pre-production and early production for this game.

That doesn't speak much for how interesting the game was for him… heh.

The idea of making a game where "evil won" came from him according to RPGCodex. He also had creative control over the title. If he wasn't interested, it was is own fault.

Have to disagree on the who's fault point because…
A game where "evil won" already happened when Star child nuked the plot from orbit.

Erm… You know.

Previews and interviews have started to come out. Maybe one of the news editors could put some of those as news for this site?

It's real-time with pause, no classes and you're playing a Judge Dredd like role. Scenario reminds of ancient greek, between bronze and iron age. It seems, my guess about the title and its original meaning wasn't that bad.

stuff I like:

- 4 person party

- classless

- skill improves with use (trying to close loopholes)

- strong emphasis on replayability

It's real-time with pause, no classes and you're playing a Judge Dredd like role. Scenario reminds of ancient greek, between bronze and iron age. It seems, my guess about the title and its original meaning wasn't that bad.

It still seems high fantasy, and a bit too eccentric, like Numenera. I'm a bit tired of these settings, I'm not interested in them anymore because the universe is not consistent. Like in Numenera they seemed to throw any weird idea under the sun they had.

I'm a bit tired of these settings, I'm not interested in them anymore because the universe is not consistent. Like in Numenera they seemed to throw any weird idea under the sun they had.

Well, that makes Numenera consistent, right? :)

Its a little harsh, Numenera is still too young…

Then you get the odd poster on a forum say "well yeah, but I'm tired of XYZ repetitive theme", to which they count for about 0.1% of total contribution to the conversation but for some reason get lauded over the 99.9% who just ignore the comment and zoom to the next article which might promise a traditional RPG from a well known RPG dev team.

Well, me, I'm usually that "odd man out", because I've alwa<ys been against major fashions in gaming, and very hard to please. :biggrin: But I've always made that clear as well : I'm not the majority. Not at all. I'm very well aware of my status as the 0,1.

If people listen to me and implement what i want / would like to see : well, then you must be well aware that it's coming from a very minor bvoice within all of these masses.

Even the point that I - very personally ! - regard River Of Time as my best RPG ever made fror me - that should speak volumes to you ! :D

But - I was fascinated by PS:T as well. It really impressed me.

I have a very high respect for creativity - creativity is what counts for me, next to story and a bit aesthetics as well - but it must not be "over the top", either, and the setting of KOTOR2 is a little bit of that to me : Over the top. To me, I hardly recognize Star Wars in that story / setting anymore - in contrast to KOTOR1.

I think that was the plan of MCA. Turning Star Wars cliches up side down.

I am sure you watched Xena or Hercules at some point. It is kind of like that.

I know both from reading through ancient Greek texts. Well, not Xena, to be exact. :biggrin:

But - looking at it from THAT level - it's an completely different perspective !

Wikipedia : Xenia : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenia_(Greek)

It would have been highly interesting iof they had called her Roxanne instead of Xena instead. :D

Back
Top Bottom