The "I Just Bought" thread

I bought a paper clip. I wonder what I can do to a echophon with a paper clip.

don't come close with that paper clip, i warn you!
viking.gif

I got a new KC headlight to replace the busted one on our pickup. I hate to commute to work so I got it fixed first.

Michael Swan's book about English grammar, 4th ed. Have it in pdf but prefer to read paper variants ) awesome book!

An Ibanez RG2027XL 7-string guitar. Just got it, just tried it, and it's great. A very good guitar.
[/YOUTUBE]

And here is it, with decorations complete:

picture.php

The elements are (from top to bottom)
  1. 42
  2. Euler's identity, written in Fortran
  3. 97 binary digits of pi
  4. 60 digits of e
  5. Golden ratio in base 16
  6. Official (IUPAC) name of caffeine
  7. "Ceci n'est pas une pipe" - famous quote from a Magritte painting (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images)

And down to the right you can see the GK-3 pickup for the guitar synth

a pibbur who is mostly happy with the result, but there may be a problem with the balance.

81VBPntnW2L._SY679_.jpg

5109FO0IksL.jpg

I recently ordered the LOTR and LOST box sets. I know LOST is a mixed bag for some people, but I was part of the original yearly season watching experience, and loved it a lot. I even enjoyed the final season and the end, even though it was far from perfect, which was something I expected they'd never be able to wrap up perfectly.

I'm not prepared to call LOST a guilty pleasure, as it's got too much good stuff in it to be discarded like that. The first seasons in particular were outstanding. But it did grow a bit too much on the melodrama towards the final seasons. I also liked the convoluted plotline, even though if you dissect it you'll find loads of plotholes.

Hm, not sure why I got all defensive about my purchase of LOST. :D

No reason to feel guilty.

BTW, I saw one episode of Lost (I think), didn't find it very interesting. My loss?

In general I'm not very interested in TV'series - I watch a couple of series while exercising, a couple of episodes per week, but that's it. I don't sit down just to watch a series (except when the wife demands attention).

One of the reason for my indifference is probably the investment (time) needed. 8 seasons of Game of Thrones? Ouch!!!

a pibbur who admits he has enjoyed a couple of series, Stranger Things, Dark, Haunting of Hill house and Orphan Black. Black books.

Nothing wrong with getting defensive about LOST. My girlfriend and I recently finished the series -- her first time, my second -- and we really enjoyed it. The plot, towards the end, does fly off a bit, but the acting is bar none. So much immersion.

Really liked Lost when it aired. Though the last season or two were not very good and the novelty had worn off. I have actually not yet finished it.. With the last season i was dragging behind and i just heard the ending sucked etc so i never bothered.

And yeah, the LOTR extended blu-ray is a must have, imo.. + also The Hobbit ;)

And yeah, the LOTR extended blu-ray is a must have, imo.. + also The Hobbit ;)

I'm seriously wondering if I should bother with the hobbit. I was really disappointed with it.

My favorite part about the LOTR box set is that it also comes with hours upon hours of making of content.

I really liked the first Hobbit and found the second really entertaining too. The third one has a good start but it gets long-winded. I've rewatched all of them and will do again for sure, they are good for that imo, because they have few or no really annoying characters. LOTR can drag a bit with for example Gollum (imo), he gets on my nerves.

There's very little in this genre apart from LOTR with this type of quality. Though you could argue that the quality is a bit all over the place here, more so than LOTR. There's Harry Potter i guess, but to me its less interesting Fantasy, never cared for it too much.

A fan edit for the three Hobbit movies into one could make it into a real masterpiece i think.. Currently enjoying a Dune fan edit btw… quite well made.

I really liked the first Hobbit and found the second really entertaining too. The third one has a good start but it gets long-winded. I've rewatched all of them and will do again for sure, they are good for that imo, because they have few or no really annoying characters. LOTR can drag a bit with for example Gollum (imo), he gets on my nerves.

There's very little in this genre apart from LOTR with this type of quality. Though you could argue that the quality is a bit all over the place here, more so than LOTR. There's Harry Potter i guess, but to me its less interesting Fantasy, never cared for it too much.

A fan edit for the three Hobbit movies into one could make it into a real masterpiece i think.. Currently enjoying a Dune fan edit btw… quite well made.

I liked the first Hobbit also, except for the wacky stuff (like the action set-piece during the escape from the elves in barrels). I re-read the Hobbit recently, and I don't remember there being an action scene during that.

The second hobbit movie, I found so-so. The only thing I loved was Bilbo's interaction with Smaug. And I pretty much hated the third movie. I also watched a pretty long documentary about the boatload of issues there were during the production of the hobbit trilogy, so that only added salt to the wound. Poor Peter Jackson and his crew, and what he had to put up with as far as studio interference.

I recommend seeing this series about each of the Hobbit movies. Very well documented and informative about many of the issues. Very eye opening as to why things turned out the way they did.

An Ibanez RG2027XL 7-string guitar. Just got it, just tried it, and it's great. A very good guitar.
[/YOUTUBE]

And here is it, with decorations complete:

picture.php

The elements are (from top to bottom)
  1. 42
  2. Euler's identity, written in Fortran
  3. 97 binary digits of pi
  4. 60 digits of e
  5. Golden ratio in base 16
  6. Official (IUPAC) name of caffeine
  7. "Ceci n'est pas une pipe" - famous quote from a Magritte painting (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images)

And down to the right you can see the GK-3 pickup for the guitar synth

a pibbur who is mostly happy with the result, but there may be a problem with the balance.

I'm jealous!
If I was you:
1576331765_396072.gif

Charles Dickens : A Christmas Carol. In English.

2019 Impala Premier. I like the gray color better than the offerings in 2020.

Attachments

• IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 40
Traded in a '99 Lincoln Towncar Executive that had like half a million miles on it :) Didn't get much for that trade, lol.

Thanks, Drithius. I just like this particular style of car. My other car is a 2014 Impala with 65,000 miles on it, that I bought new also. My car before that was a 2003 Impala that I put 275,000 miles on before giving it to a friend. Since I work 5 miles from home for the last 12 years, I don't really put a lot of miles on my cars. I'd say a 1/3 of my mileage is vacations :D

Hey @Pladio;,

My monitor arrived, finally!!

IMG-20200511-WA0000.jpg

I'm now running some elementary tests (dead pixels, etc) and later I'll be playing some Gears Tactics, XCOM Chimera Squad and the like :)

Back
Top Bottom