Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - First Look

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PCGamesN offer a first look at Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous by showing some screenshots ahead of the Kickstarter on February 4th at 08:00 PST / 11:00 EST / 16:00 GMT.

You can see a whole lot of the places you'll visit in the screenshots below. (If the latter chapters of the original Adventure Path are any indication, you can expect things to get a whole lot wilder, too.)

[...]

More information.

I'm playing through Pathfinder: Kingmaker for the first time right now with the extremely well-done turn-based mod enabled and I am loving it. Obviously this wasn't the original intented way to play but it is really fun this way (albeit a bit slower). I recommend people check it out... AND unless Owlcat has said otherwise, we should make our desires know for an integrated turn-based mode or option for the Kickstarter. So let's make some NOISE!

Nah I'm fine with RTwP as many turn-based RPGs are available to play already.

I'd say the option for both like PoE II is the better way to go.

Anyway this has my money on day one.

Not mine. At least until they say timers are gone.
If timers are back, I'll patiently wait for a mod before buying.

I hope they will fix the problems with the original Pathfinder and finish the game properly. Nothing like feeling like quitting a game after 60 hours of playthrough because the developers either didn't know how to wrap it up, or just rushed it to cash in.

I'm fine with RTwP as well and I have my wallet ready for Kickstarter launching on Feb 4 :)

Thx god for Owlcat, cant wait for this. Wouldnt mind tb combat myself, but I can live with RTwP. Will support them on Kickstarter for sure.

I'm fine with options but if they made it TB only I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I had forgotten how much I loath TB games until I played DDOS2. It all came flooding back during that game. I enjoyed the other content in it so struggled to finish it but in the end the TB did me in and I quit at the 95% mark after a crash made me loose a 2 hours of combat ... that would have been bearable if it had been RTwP.

I know people love TB but I simply can't see the appeal myself. It just drags on and on and on. So many interesting games being released and I go to review only to find out its TB. I had just looked at Dragonfall as someone had been promoting it here then discovered it was TB. There seems to be plenty of those games coming out so I don't see the reason to ruin another game with it unless its an option.

I'm playing through Pathfinder: Kingmaker for the first time right now with the extremely well-done turn-based mod enabled and I am loving it. Obviously this wasn't the original intented way to play but it is really fun this way (albeit a bit slower). I recommend people check it out… AND unless Owlcat has said otherwise, we should make our desires know for an integrated turn-based mode or option for the Kickstarter. So let's make some NOISE!

I am not interested as it seems like many before me in turn based. RTwP fits this game better and would rather see them focus on that rather than try to add in a TB mode.

I've been playing and turn based mode in this game would bore me senseless. Turn based combat works better, imo, when a) it's a shorter freaking game and b) there are more set pieces and very few if any random encounters/minor encounters. There are many fights that I just want to, and do, breeze through. But during the big fights, I have plenty of turn by turn control by just pausing the game.

I'll get the game no matter what, but I'd also be very happy with a turn based mode (or even if it was 100% turn based, but I know that would upset a lot of others).

I haven't played the Kingmaker turn based mod, but my understanding is that you can turn it on and off with a key press. So if you have one of the million pointless trash fights you can just do it real time, but for hard fights you can do them in turn based.

Really though in a good turn based game or mode you need to take into account that fights are slower and cut them down a bit. I know PoE did that, but I also haven't tried that yet so I don't know how successful it was.

wolfgrimdark: I agree with you completely. In some aspects, turning every part of a CRPG into an emulation of a TTRPG is pointless and in some ways not-useful and not-fun. Tabletop (TT) has ways to hand-wave boring stuff and time slogs, but that's impossible to implement in CRPGs.

D:OS2 got to me also. Combats would all get so, so long that I started metagaming them without realizing it. If stuff started looking like it wasn't going my way, I'd quit and reload. Because it's just not worth it to play for another 45 minutes only to fail. You start to see patterns, and I'd rather just reload versus play until everyone's dead. And as the game goes on, I got more and more sensitive to it. So it became a different sort of save-scumming.

I got off the first island and did a bunch of content on the second area the quit. Everything else about the game I loved, loved, loved. But when simple random stealth-attacks by six undead would turn into a half hour (minimum) battle, I realized this wasn't for me and playing another 80 hours this way would just drive me crazy.

It also made my play style more and more conservative. Because I'd be less likely to take chances on different techniques and combos of skills because the stakes (real life time) were too high. One or two characters down? How far into the battle am I? Would it just be quicker to reload and try something different, even though the battle's only 1/4 of the way through? Making decisions like that in a game—simply to preserve real life gaming time—became too tiring and meta for me.

I've no doubt that this second Kickstarter will outshine the first in terms of backers. Chomping at the bit to support them.

Re: turnbased - the game runs absolutely perfectly in tbm, as per the mod. And you can toggle it on and off. Personally, I like the option to strategize a harder encounter, rather than zerging towards an enemy (which will get you killed on harder difficulties).

I hope they will fix the problems with the original Pathfinder and finish the game properly. Nothing like feeling like quitting a game after 60 hours of playthrough because the developers either didn't know how to wrap it up, or just rushed it to cash in.

There are very few bugs left in the game, and it has been so for a while now. I crashed twice in 200+ hours. I encountered one quest bug.

I for one would be quite happy with TB, even as a mod (but preferably built-in). I only discovered the mod very late in the original game but was immensely happy with it. Pathfinder is a very combat heavy game and I like it much better if I can implement proper tactics and not pause every split-second to see what happened.

There are very few bugs left in the game, and it has been so for a while now. I crashed twice in 200+ hours. I encountered one quest bug.
My full playthrough was 4 months ago. Took 240 hours, and I never crashed once. I did have to switch from exclusive fullscreen to borderless window fullscreen because exclusive was doing some weird stuff on alt-tabbing. And I ran into one oddity, related to a companion's quest, where something happened out of order, but it was just immersion breaking, not game breaking in any way. Those are the only two problems even worth mentioning that I ran across. I'm not sure I've seen another game that's that big and with so few bugs, actually. Then again, there aren't many games that big either.

Any claims that the game is still "buggy" are simply bogus. Hopefully the poster you were replying to was referring to the state of the game at launch, and in that case…fair enough. It's amazing how far they've come. I would expect the next game to be polished at release.

The bottom line with PF:K is that anyone who calls themselves a classic RPG fan and hasn't played PF:K should either get on it, or stop calling themselves one.

I'm fine with options but if they made it TB only I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I had forgotten how much I loath TB games until I played DDOS2. It all came flooding back during that game. I enjoyed the other content in it so struggled to finish it but in the end the TB did me in and I quit at the 95% mark after a crash made me loose a 2 hours of combat … that would have been bearable if it had been RTwP.

I know people love TB but I simply can't see the appeal myself. It just drags on and on and on. So many interesting games being released and I go to review only to find out its TB. I had just looked at Dragonfall as someone had been promoting it here then discovered it was TB. There seems to be plenty of those games coming out so I don't see the reason to ruin another game with it unless its an option.

I think it’s all in the implementation. I too grew tired of DDOS2 combat, but mostly because of the endless reliance on elemental damage each battle became boring. TOEE combat on the other hand hasn’t gotten boring in several play throughs.

I prefer TB mainly because it allows you to keep proper spacing. RTWP always seems to end in a big clusterf**k. Also in TB if enemies do attack one character I feel like I have a chance to recover , but I don’t in turn based. For instance in POEE if all enemies got to my thief as she was scouting ahead she was guaranteed to die.

Having said that I’m ok with either.

Also, a new interview:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/interview

Kingmaker had real-time combat with pause. Are there any plans to make Wrath of the Righteous turn-based?

AM: We really love that the community made turn-based mods that allowed a lot more players to enjoy our game. And we do see its popularity, but right now we’re focusing on making real-time with pause the best we can for Wrath of the Righteous, with a lot more tweaks and fixes. So right now we’re not doing anything for turn-based.

That’s an interesting choice – we saw a lot of excitement when Pillars of Eternity 2 announced its turn-based mode, and it follows logically from the tabletop.

Andrey Tsvetkov: I will add to Alex’s answer that we’re not denying that we might end up working on this in the future. [Turn-based] is a really nice feature and we understand why parts of the community ask for it. And the mods were really cool – we’re glad there are people who actually do this. We might consider it later in development, but for the moment, as Alex said, we are focused on our creative vision, which is real-time with pause, as in Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Nice and thanks for that news bit @purpleblob;!

This was the best part for me as I love companions in games!

Alexander Mishulin: A lot of people really loved our companions. They loved the interactions and the dialogue when sitting in camp and talking to each other, and giving their view on certain choices or situations. We are planning to continue this in Wrath of the Righteous; companions are a focus for us, we want to make them really great, detailed characters.

Back
Top Bottom