Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls

RPGWatch

An RPGWatch Bot
Administrator
An old-school challenge in a crisp and colorful package, Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls revitalizes the time-honored formula of the original dungeon crawler series with modernized visuals and sound.

Choose each of your six team members' class, race, gender, and moral alignment, then delve into one of several dungeons near the central town hub. Advance with caution -- monsters are vicious, deadly, and attack in packs. Plan each expedition carefully, stay focused on your objectives, and know when to retreat to the surface.

In between expeditions, chat with the locals, pick up new quests, pray for guidance at the temple, go bargain-hunting for new/rare equipment, and more. With patience, skill, and careful planning, your party will rise from a gang of paupers to a mighty force.
The magic torches are lit, the monsters are ravenous, and the kingdom is waiting for a new hero. Enter the world of Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls and experience a classic adventure reborn.

KEY FEATURES
Your Party, Your Way
Choose from eight classes and five races to build a six-person team with diverse but complimentary skill sets. Change their classes in mid-adventure to fit your needs, or focus on leveling up their primary class to earn bonus skills for the party's benefit.

So Beautiful and So Dangerous
Tangle with a menagerie of over 100 distinctive monsters, from the traditional to the bizarre, all drawn by famed series illustrator Jun Suemi. The game also features character illustrations by renowned commercial artist Yuki Hayabusa.

Conquer the Dungeons
Every step through the underworld is fraught with danger, and one wrong move can end your adventure. But if you have the grit to withstand what the dungeons throw at you, both you and your party will gain enough experience to stroll through them like you own them.

Wizardry's Rebirth on PC
The PC remaster of this classic originally released for PlayStation 3 features English and Japanese text with the original Japanese voiceovers, high-resolution graphics, and a brand new Turbo Mode to make exploring the game's massive dungeons a breeze. All story DLC is included, and players can download the Growth Fruit DLC for free to give themselves a boost when creating characters.

More information.

I recently re-visited this game after playing it on the PS and find I enjoy the challenging game play. I even enjoy some of the voices like the critical shout because the older Wizardry games did not have such features.

My party is about level 11. No save scumming. Taking those 1HP gained level-ups and all!

It's a very classic (basic?) dungeon crawler but it does have that addictive Wizardry "magic". The dungeons are well designed and quite confusing. I've been finding plenty of loot. By about level 10 everyone had replaced all their starting gear.

The console menus are a bit slow to navigate with a controller. You can use mouse. Especially the give items screen takes a while to get used to. I also feel like inventory space is running out a bit fast.

There are some nice spells like a magic map and emergency exit (which acts like a teleport scroll in combat or a town portal outside of combat) that improve QOL.

Technically I'm still not playing this one as of yet, I'm not quite done with Astoria, but I did spend an hour yesterday rolling up my team. I went with a Lord, Samurai, Fighter, rogue, mage, and bishop. I got really fortunate with my first two rolls, had a lot of bonus points to throw on those first two, not so much with the rest.

Started with a Lord, huh? That must have been like 50 bonus points roll!

I just took anything near 20. My thief got 26 but others only got 17.

I was planning to change my fighter to a lord at some point but shes doing alright as is and I have a dedicated priest and don't really need the extra heals.

The way I'm seeing it is Lord is fighter/cleric, Samurai is fighter/mage and Bishop is cleric/mage.

At the moment, though, I'm leaving the dungeon because of inventory space and not because I'm out of healing.

Also, didn't use "growth fruit".

Last edited:
I guess I got pretty lucky, my first bonus roll was like thirty-five, then nineteen, the highest after that was eight, if I remember right. I looked at the store for ranged items but the prices seem extremely high, so I'm not sure if my thief will just be a bench warmer for a while, or if he can participate in fights somehow.

Back
Top Bottom