WotR Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Tips & Tricks & Help

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
Are there any items I should not be selling ?
My inventory is full of random stuff. Impossible for me to know.

You can safely use the 'bulk selling' button to eliminate most of the junk.

Save the items for the storyteller, like in Pathfinder (items that an 'artisan can restore', or the Elven's notes that he required), because they're too easy to discard by mistake. I usually put them in the personal chest.

Most difficult items to decide are gear and weapons. I have a tendency to keep them "in case a new companion joins", and it's rare I find it useful. Now, if a weapon or gear cannot immediately replace another one, I'm usually selling them. Except the named ones and special-looking items (like Radiance) - you have to open the info panel to see, it's not always shown on the tooltip unfortunately. Sometimes there's an associated quest, though I suspect most of them could safely be sold too.

Some protection items are worth keeping. Any boost item that you may have to use when resting or managing the kingdom, even if you don't use them in combat (like for ex. Headband of Inspired Wisdom for whoever has most Religion, to increase the odds with the protection ritual when resting).

Keep any ingredient obviously (some are heavy though, store them in the chest). And wands, they come in handy when spells are depleted.

Sell the spells that don't make sense depending on your choices.

Find and keep Magic Essence, at least until the beginning of act 2.

I really wish they had a less messy inventory. If only they separated ingredients, potions and spells in separate tabs… I'm trying to organize the inventory a little bit, like placing potions and spells to the bottom so they don't mix with all the junk, but they made it harder in WotR; new rows are not created anymore until every single cell is occupied :(

But it's nice that all current companions are always accessible through inventory, to switch items as soon as possible.

Last edited:
1. Do not sell ingredients, scrolls, and items under quest tab (second from last).
2. Rods and items that summon allies once daily, keep. Wands, all, sell. You can't sell trickster's wand of summoning a murder pony so don't worry about that one (if you have it).
3. Never sell a weapon called Radiance nor the purple knife. To be sure, equip them as a second option on your hero unless someone is already wielding those in your party.
4. Equipment intermediate steps you should complete before selling.
5. Never sell Pipefox, Cat Tiger and Imp, put them on whomever's belt and activate.
6. Books: read first, then sell (some provide a small bonus).
7. Everything else feel free to sell after conquering Drezen, if you don't use a weapon, amulet, ring or something, you never will.

I'm a massive organization freak, and I hate when I have to keep around things that I don't know if they are useful or not, I love maxing my inventory space efficiency to its limits, so here's some extra tips.

So in addition to the above posts:

Fake food: There is a mismatch with the item tagging from Owlcat's code that affects a variety of items. Unfortunately, the tag is everything when the system calls the function that identifies the utility of the item, so cheese that is not tagged as food, or with a tag that the game hasn't been coded to interpret as an ingredient, won't work as the ingredient it looks like. It will add weight to your inventory and never be of use to you. The only solution is to sell them manually. Don't think it twice, they are dead weight and space.

Untagged junk Just like food, some junk doesn't have the "junk" tag in its code, and the "bulk selling" option won't sweep them from your inventory. You can identify those because they will also be in the "miscellaneous" inventory tab generally. Same as the fake food items, just can just sell them manually, but this gets a little tricky at times because there are actually useful items that go into that tab and are not marked as quest items, such as some key items that open doors, or begin special interactions with certain NPCs or quests. As a rule of thumb, if the item has a weight value of 0, then it is valuable in some situation, and the reason it was given that weight is so you can keep it in the inventory all game long without having it drag you down. If the weight is above 0 (typically from 0.05 to 2lb), then sell away.

Books and documents These will end up adding a ton of weight if you keep them around, as each weights 2lb, and they will also clutter your inventory very fast. Generally, you can freely sell too, as long as they are not marked as quest items (they will appear in the "quest item" tab and have a "watermark" that identifies them as such). However, make sure to read all of them at least once. Some confer stat bonuses, from +1 AB while using glaives, to +10 maximum Hit Points, and anything in between. Some are fairly minor and circumstantial, but always better to have more stats than less.

Weapons, armors, wands, other equipment When in doubt of whether I will ever need these or not, I tuck them in the personal stash at the base of operations, wherever that is according your campaign progress. It will become glaringly obvious when you won't need them anymore and you can just sell them at that point. Gold sitting in your inventory without being used doesn't do anything, so in general it's best to keep your most valuable items stashed incase you may need them at some point, and sell them to get a quick liquid injection if you intend to make some purchase that you couldn't afford otherwise.

That's a few tips I can think off the top of my head. I hope it helps!

I usually put them in the personal chest.

There is a personal chest ?

Most difficult items to decide are gear and weapons. I have a tendency to keep them "in case a new companion joins", and it's rare I find it useful.

I'd guess that it's safe to keep everything with "Cold Iron" on it.

There is a personal chest ?

There is one always at your current base of operations, next to the resting site that clears your corruption for that particular act.

While cold iron weapons are useful at the beginning of the game, something that might not be obvious is that +3 weapons can bypass DR as if made of cold iron, even if they don't have the property. Once you start getting some +3 weapons (or you can make them +3 yourself with some class abilities such as Spiritual Weapon or Bond Weapon), you don't need cold iron other than as selling junk.

Thanks all. Can I safely to the bulk selling without losing any important items?

Yes, that feature means mostly "convert junk to gold". Anything that has a chance to be valuable in any way won't be transferred to the bulk sale pile.

Things are going better for me on the strategic map in chapter 3. My army has somewhat recovered from its Pyrrhic victory for Drezen at the end of chapter 2 and I can now defeat level 5 armies fairly easily. Is it just me or it's odd how the conscript mercenaries are such a strong unit? Despite the name, they are much tougher than my champions. By the way, my Hellknight are still very useful ;-)

I encountered my first important and very difficult battle. I decided to wait until my group get level 11 for the Dragon fight. I really need the True Sight spell to defeat it. Otherwise, Displacement and its very high AC make it near impossible to hit. I read somewhere that I could also use glitterdust but I've been unsuccessful with this.

Glitterdust seems broken to me. It never highlights invisible enemies and it's like part of every party. Think they would have caught that in the alpha/beta. Maybe it re-broke with a patch.

I hate carry weight limits on a party. If they won't give me an unseen servant, I will cheat/mod unlimited carry weight and did. I personally use Fling's trainer, which has a carry weight of infinite. I still clean out my inventory frequently, so I don't get save file bloat.

I still have start-over-itis real bad. I'll get to a new map and think, that I can do better with my main and the next thing I know I'm back at the beginning festival :) I'll probably log 200 hours and never leave Chapter 1/2!

I basically try different flavors of Magus and Crossblooded Sorcerers. I love messing with the various powers and such. I also try to min/max my party because I could care less about the "personal" stories. To me, a personal story requires many, many more hours than Owlcat can afford to add. I'm thinking Vilja, Inigo, Boone, Veronica, etc. I really don't bond with any of the members I've met yet. I like the Paladin girl best of the group. A lawful Paladin that has a strong streak of chaotic running in her veins. Love her!

I didn't connect with most NPCs either, I feel that is one of the things I would count as a letdown, but I remember feeling the same way about PoE companions, so maybe it's just me. Even then, I took only scripted companions and salvaged their builds in what ways I could, and it was enough to get through the whole game and all the optional encounters.

Yeah, that's my plan too, though I'll use somebody like Bolshy to do the companion builds. I'm not interested enough in the companions to try and wrap my mind around 12 different builds or more. I start over too much as it is :) Oops, should have taken the don't be a psychotic b*tch feat for Camellia or skipped the poor pitiful me skill for Lann, start over!

No. Sell.
If I wasn't clear in my previous post...
If your armor/weapon says +1, +2, ... +5 and nothing else = sell.
Masterwork and cold iron = sell.
If it has an additional effect, do keep until you find something with better +x.
The only two weapons you should never sell are Radiance (sword) and purple knife.
There are no mustkeep armors nor equips, sell those when become obsolete because you'll always loot something better.

Things are going better for me on the strategic map in chapter 3. My army has somewhat recovered from its Pyrrhic victory for Drezen at the end of chapter 2 and I can now defeat level 5 armies fairly easily. Is it just me or it's odd how the conscript mercenaries are such a strong unit? Despite the name, they are much tougher than my champions. By the way, my Hellknight are still very useful ;-)

I encountered my first important and very difficult battle. I decided to wait until my group get level 11 for the Dragon fight. I really need the True Sight spell to defeat it. Otherwise, Displacement and its very high AC make it near impossible to hit. I read somewhere that I could also use glitterdust but I've been unsuccessful with this.
OMG.
Man, I'm replaying the game and taking an enemy setup then my army win screenshot.
Standard difficulty of crusade (there is no higher diff).
Only 2 weeks in ch3, already have two generals and am eating demon armies for breakfast - with only trained units.
Level 7 armies of demons to be precise. I believe I could take lv8 too if those were near, but I have to clear other armies first.

When done with ch3 in a couple of days I'll post packs of those screenshots so everyone can see it.
I told you to ditch hellknights and you're still wasting time, nerves and ress on those.

About dragon fight I can't remember what level I was and am still not there on replay.
I remember that I had Greybor who tanked and Lann who was bow sniping like crazy in the party. I'm not Maylander, Greybor is too useful to kill just because he does contracts.
Before the fight I've summoned a few highest summons possible, then used prayer, haste and mass immunity from element (fire). Maybe something more, but I don't remember now, definetly not true sight.
Hint: Once you hurt the dragon he'll fly on the uppoer floor, run towards it (towards Storyteller) as fast as possible and finish him - Lann can alone snipe it with one shot. Make sure the dragon does not escape!
Normal difficulty.

Glitterdust seems broken to me.
I hate carry weight limits on a party. If they won't give me an unseen servant, I will cheat/mod unlimited carry weight and did. I personally use Fling's trainer, which has a carry weight of infinite. I still clean out my inventory frequently, so I don't get save file bloat.
I still have start-over-itis real bad.
A lawful Paladin that has a strong streak of chaotic running in her veins. Love her!
Forget gliitterdust, why are you even bothering with it?
In the starting base the innkeeper (Gemyl Hawkes) sells small bag of holding. Buy.
When you conquer Drezen, Wilcer Garms sells big bag of holding. Buy.
On each return (teleport) to Drezen sell crap and you'll never get encumbered in the game again.
Oh, this is chapter 3, and you...
Stop startovering!
Those early spells and skills are pure trash, once you see a crapload of new things you can do in chapter 3, you'll never want to restart the game again from scratch but will want to replay chapter 3 over and over!
So get your party arse to Drezen and attack.
Yea, I wrote before.
As she's a stupid pallie, I benched her as soon as I got more people for party.
But her story without usual paladinous blathering led me to give her a chance in replay, so she's now in my team A! Chaotica. ;)
So, I remember someone saying you should travel with armies or party first on world map. Which is it and why again ?
Lemme reply in a separate post.

So, I remember someone saying you should travel with armies or party first on world map. Which is it and why again ?
Who first doesn't matter.
The party can't pass demon forts, your army must defeat them first.
On the other hand, your army cannot pass story critical points till your party clears a progression zone.

Unlike your party, the army has capped number of movement points - daily.
So try to do spend all movement points with your army every day, not only for fights but also on discovering paths your party will pass through later.
There is no reason to ever use "skip day" button because when your army can't move any more on the map, your party can go out solve quests.

Finally you will have a reason to park your army for a few days during chapter 3 (conquered Drezen).
That's when your army general spent all of energy and can't fight effectively for a while.
To mitigate this issue you'll recruit a second general if you're eager to open paths for your party as soon as possible - while the second general roams the map, the first one is steadily regenerating energy.

In chapter 5 you will add several energy restoring buildings in Drezen which will make this two general shuffle unnecessary. ;)

---------------------------

I'll repeat something in case you missed previous hints about generals.
Certain trashmobs are physical damage resistant (gargoyles, rock elementals, etc).
As you don't start with magic users in your army, this is why your first general should be a mage.
However, once you conquer Drezen at certain spots you'll stumble upon heavy cc users, the worst of those are succubi (charm your archers and you may capitulate).
To deal with those annoying trashmobs, you should pick a second general that has a stun "spell" (not initially, but will have it after a few levels).
In other words, while succubi are stunned for 2 turns, destroy them with your archers = trivial win your mage general can't do before he gets stun too (lategame stuff and a big if as you may decide not to go for it).

These are the best two generals as both start with +1 stack (master of maneuver 1) and both get the heal spell after a few level ups, the guy is a mage, the girl is an archer:

pokus.jpg

Last edited:
Standard difficulty of crusade (there is no higher diff).
Only 2 weeks in ch3, already have two generals and am eating demon armies for breakfast - with only trained units.
Level 7 armies of demons to be precise. I believe I could take lv8 too if those were near, but I have to clear other armies first.

When done with ch3 in a couple of days I'll post packs of those screenshots so everyone can see it.
I told you to ditch hellknights and you're still wasting time, nerves and ress on those.

May I remind you that the only unit I had left to start chapter 3 was Hellknight? How do you imagine I would have fared if I had ditched them, my most useful unit, and just used a few dozens newly recruited archer / champions, instead? :p

No worry, I believe you when you say you are doing great. Generals are totally unbalanced and the one you picked is certainly better than mine. But no way I will start over with another one. I don't have enough spare time in my life. Instead, I lower the difficulty and do the best with what I have.

About dragon fight I can't remember what level I was and am still not there on replay.
I remember that I had Greybor who tanked and Lann who was bow sniping like crazy in the party. I'm not Maylander, Greybor is too useful to kill just because he does contracts.
Before the fight I've summoned a few highest summons possible, then used prayer, haste and mass immunity from element (fire). Maybe something more, but I don't remember now, definetly not true sight.
Hint: Once you hurt the dragon he'll fly on the uppoer floor, run towards it (towards Storyteller) as fast as possible and finish him - Lann can alone snipe it with one shot. Make sure the dragon does not escape!

Forget gliitterdust, why are you even bothering with it?

Because Greybor, Lann ( I even turned-off, the damage feats for more precision), my PC etc just can't hit him because of the displacement spell he has on him. According to the tooltips, glitterdust is supposed to help against this but it seems broken. I have played this fight quite a lot of time and I never got to the point where he fly to the upper floor. Also using Haste, protection from energy/fire, etc Only thing I'm missing is true sight.

No. Sell.
If I wasn't clear in my previous post…
If your armor/weapon says +1, +2, … +5 and nothing else = sell.
Masterwork and cold iron = sell.
If it has an additional effect, do keep until you find something with better +x.
What? No. Not at the beginning anyway.

Materwork adds a +1 for the attack roll.
Cold Iron is useful for many foes with DR except Cold Iron (or Good).
Composite adds the STR bonus to the damage (beware of bows when you have a negative STR bonus).
If you have the chance of finding a +n, it's even better.

I really don't understand your advice there.

Don't use general rules, compare to what you and the other party members have. And keep in mind that the enemies are often evil, chaotic, and have DR at the exception of Cold Iron.

Because Greybor, Lann ( I even turned-off, the damage feats for more precision), my PC etc just can't hit him because of the displacement spell he has on him. According to the tooltips, glitterdust is supposed to help against this but it seems broken. I have played this fight quite a lot of time and I never got to the point where he fly to the upper floor. Also using Haste, protection from energy/fire, etc Only thing I'm missing is true sight.

True Seeing will ignore Displacement, Greater Invisibility and even Mirror Images. If you keep Camellia around, she can cast a mass version that will buff all the party around level 9.

One thing that can help you know what to keep and what to sell is knowing which classes your party members can possibly be. There are items (sometimes quite valuable ones) that are specifically for classes you will never have unless you yourself are playing them. For example, there are no barbarians/bloodragers. If you don't have Lann, there are no monks. And so on. I just found some 18,000 gold piece club that's massively powerful, but I have nobody who would/could ever use it. So I'll be selling it.

May I remind you that the only unit I had left to start chapter 3 was Hellknight?
No I don't remember.
I thought after I posted about them being overexpensive trash, you and everyone else replaced them with cheap footmen and concentrated on buying all possible units that matter: archers.
Thought... Hoped.
But I did say back them I'm gonna do the defiant screenshot taking playthrough just to prove all those scam sites that shill for hellknights - false.
I really don't understand your advice there.
He is hoarding junk although already has +3 items in inventory.

Back
Top Bottom