Fallout 3 - Games For Windows Live Removed

Redglyph

proud GASP member
The Gamer reports that the GFWL DRM has finally been removed from Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition on Steam, seven years after being discontinued by Microsoft.

Fallout 3 On PC Finally Removes Games For Windows Live, Seven Years After It Was Discontinued

[...]

In the latest Steam patch notes for Fallout 3, it was announced that it would be removing all trace of Games for Windows Live, bringing it more in-line with the GOG and Windows Store versions that forgo it. If you already have Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition installed through Steam, Bethesda recommends that you reinstall the game to remove any of the previous dependencies.

[...]
More information.

I didn't realize GFWL was still there this whole time. I reinstalled FO3 last year just to mess around with some mods, and I don't recall having to deal with it.

GFWL, some good memories with this pos, i remember a key from any game could work on all other gfwl games lol...this happened for years til they implemented ssa (server side auth i think it was called)

Aye saw this on a reddit thread that was talking about the impact of this, and some other changes, to modding certain Beth games:

edit 2: Bethesda out of nowhere has released an update to Fallout 3 (yes, 3) on Steam that does two things - removes GFWL, and recompiles the executable with VS2019. The vast majority of the mod community works on New Vegas, so there are basically no plugins to rebuild, but surprise?

Namely the new AE edition for Skyrim: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/q6czcc/pc_sse_an_important_psa_regarding_skyrim/

Thanks to a few cracks my game never used Games For Windows Live. Also the gog version has no DRM. So this must apply to the boxed and steam versions only.

They basically broke every mod that uses FOSE (which no longer functions with this exe). TTW 3.2 installer will also not be patched for the new exe. So, gg to them on an update that should have happened a decade ago and only serves to piss people off now.

Gog continues to work fine.

Back
Top Bottom