Mars - English Re-localization

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Focus Home and SPIDERS weren't entirely happy with the English localization for the PC version of Mars: War Logs. They decided to completely rewrite the English text/dialogue and re-record the game's voice overs.

The update is available from Steam or other digital sites you may have bought the game from.

MARS WAR LOGS REWRITES THE STORY (IN ENGLISH)!

Mars War Logs was released in late April and, if most players who bought the Spiders Studio title liked the game itself, they were disappointed with the narrative element because the English version strayed too far from the original French. The general feeling was that the translation didn’t stick closely enough to the original French story and dialog.

Luc Heninger, Director of Production at Focus Home Interactive, explains:

"Mars contains a vast amount of dialog, even by RPG standards. The plot has numerous strands and the dialog often has many variants to mirror the hero’s changes in reputation. The tight deadlines between the game release dates meant that the initial English translation lacked depth and contained a number of errors; it was then sent to the recording studio, making the job of the actors extremely difficult.

The actual game was thoroughly tested and released with very few bugs on PC, but unfortunately the procedures for the audio and text QA failed and allowed many English localization issues to slip through. We realized the extent of the problem after seeing the first feedback from the press and gamers. The result was so far removed from what we usually produce that we took the decision to halt the submission process for the console version, which was due for release only weeks after the PC title.

We have re-written the game text and dialog and, of course, recorded the actors again, replacing the sections that weren’t true to the characters in Mars. All these problems will therefore be fixed in the console version. An update is now available for players with the PC game, and we have also incorporated the new audio in the PC versions on the various download sites."
More information.

Last edited:
Well that's impressive. I wouldn't think a low budget title could afford to do that!

It's on sale on steam right now for $13. Think I'll wait for the summer sale though, I'm trying to practice a little restraint.

It's definitely on my wish list though.

Hmm, that's pretty cool.

Still sounds like it's too short for me - but I might be tempted at some point.

An impressive update to say the least. Too bad I already finished the game weeks ago.

Not a bad game at all. You can finish it in a long weekend, but the setting alone makes it worthwhile imo. There aren't a lot of sci-fi RPGs out there…

An impressive update to say the least. Too bad I already finished the game weeks ago.

Not a bad game at all. You can finish it in a long weekend, but the setting alone makes it worthwhile imo. There aren't a lot of sci-fi RPGs out there…

Very true.

You know what, I think I'll get this. If for no other reason then to simply support developers that go through this kind of thing to enhance their game - free of charge.

It's on sale on steam right now for $13. Think I'll wait for the summer sale though, I'm trying to practice a little restraint.

It's definitely on my wish list though.

Agreed. It is good to support titles like this that show so much promise. I imagine the game will sell decently once it hits 50% off.

I second this. It may not be very large and I wish the experience was longer, but clearly a lot of heart went into the creation of Mars' setting. While Mars certainly has its flaws, in my opinion the good outweighs the bad. Character advancement and crafting are fleshed out just enough to give these aspects variety and depth, and in most cases combat is challenging and enjoyable. There is also a refreshing storyline with decent choice and consequence that avoids the "epic save the universe from the evil bad guy and certain doom" plot that is so overused.

If you have a craving for an interesting RPG with an enjoyable sci-fi atmosphere and can tolerate some rough edges, Mars is a good choice.

Well, that is a commendable effort, considering how expensive voice overs are. I hope someone who has the game can provide some insight if the rewriting / rerecording has improved the quality ( Iremember opinion on voicovers and dialog in genera were quite divided). I am still interested in the game because of the setting.

Still sounds like it's too short for me - but I might be tempted at some point.

The replay value is excellent because of the choices and consequences. I enjoyed it more on my second playthrough because of this and to try different skill pathways. Steam tells me I spent 32 hours on these two playthroughs.

The replay value is excellent because of the choices and consequences. I enjoyed it more on my second playthrough because of this and to try different skill pathways. Steam tells me I spent 32 hours on these two playthroughs.

I hardly ever replay games like that - especially not if they're short.

Which is probably why I'm not quite as big on C&C as most people seem to be.

But it's a bonus all the same, I guess.

[Cynism]Ah, yes, always cater the world's biggest market ... ;)
And who cares if games are for some obscure non-English-speaking countries properly translated at all ?[/Cynism]

[Cynism]Ah, yes, always cater the world's biggest market … ;)
And who cares if games are for some obscure non-English-speaking countries properly translated at all ?[/Cynism]

The script writers are French and hence the French version was superior in terms of clarity of story telling, at the expense of the English language 'translation'.

I believe that translation from french to english is a very hard thing to do so I can't blame the initial release nor translators that did the job.

Compared some translations from french to english and to my own language, when it comes to phrases and keeping the "spirit" of the source, things sometimes differ drastically.

Back
Top Bottom