Dragon Commander - Larian Announces New Game

This company consistently makes silly names for their games. Divine Divinity? Laugh out loud stupid.
Iirc, this name was forced on them by the publisher.
Originally they intended to name it Divinity: Sword of Lies or something like that.

Information is still scarse, but the concept sounds intriguing, especially if they weave in a suspenseful storyline.

Originally they intended to name it Divinity: Sword of Lies or something like that.

It was probably going to be "Project D: Divine Divinity: Dragon Dominions" initially ;)

That would have been confusing. I would always wonder if I could play DSL over a DSL connection :)

This doesn't really look like my kind of game. Hope their other project will be a real divinity game.

Yes, that's the story, as far as I know it.
Someone at CDV, their DD publisher, thought that rhyming names would be a good thing.

Divine Divinity
Sudden Strike (can be abbreviated to SS, a Nazi term)
Project Nomads - After The Disaster (the first Radon Labs game, as far as I know

Color me intrigued. RT exploration with TB combat sounds like Kings' Bounty: The Legend in the air rather than on the ground.

They better make a US PC release and have a printed manual, otherwise, I'll go postal on the Larian forums. ;)

Meh… From the way it's being described so far, I won't have much interest in this title.

Still, I hope it sells well for Larian.

I would be embarrassed to have anyone know I was playing a game called "Dragon Commander"

Really, what a dumb name. Maybe they'll make a war game called "Army Man Battle!"

Why does it sound dumb? Honest question. I'm no native speaker myself of course, but Dragon Commander sounds like a good name to me.

Why does it sound dumb? Honest question. I'm no native speaker myself of course, but Dragon Commander sounds like a good name to me.

It sounds more like a description than a title. Like if you were to call a game 'Platform Jumper' or 'Guy Running and Shooting' or something.

Still, I usually give the developers across the pond a pass on silly or dull names because they are European and ESL.

And "A Vampyre Story" sounds much, much better, hm ?

Or "Command & Conquer" ?

Sounds fine to me. The game itself is sounding more like Stardock's Elementalist than anything else.

Or "Command & Conquer" ?

People might have raised their eyebrows at the title when Command and Conquer was announced, but if a game delivers and becomes a success, the sillyness of the name is quickly forgotten.

Also: Dungeon Keeper.

The choice of the name Dragon Commander is a bit of a double whammy because it also contains a fantasy trope.

With regards to use of fantasy tropes Dungeons and Dragons is also quite silly as a name.

I'm dissapointed not because of the name but because I found the dragon combat gameplay the least interesting. That's why I was very glad for a large part of the expansion pack of the last game and very dissapointed towards the end of it. At least in Total War one can skip real-time battles, I'm hoping for a similar option here.

The Dragon parts of DKS were very weak but people bought the game anyway because the rest of it was so fun. I think that Larian believes that the Dragon combat was a big part of the success of the game. It might have been so for 10% of the ownership, but I'd be surprised if more than that enjoyed it above and beyond the other aspects of the game. I really think that this is going to fail dismally, but if it doesn't I'll be very happy for myself and Larian because it means that I have a better likelihood of seeing more crpgs from them.

I don't see the name as being a problem though. Many games have descriptive names and do well. Wing Commander, Command and Conquer, Conquest of the New World, Battleship, etc. Is it the strongest part of the game? Probably ;)

To me the name seemed kinda natural, after Dragon Knight (saga). And whats wrong with descriptive? Also there is Supreme Commander, Dragon Age, etc.
And then of course names that I find far sillier, e.g. Gothic and Risen - as much as I like the games themselves, I think both make absolutley zero sense, yet I have seen little comment on it. But I guess these things are sometimes pretty subtle.

Back
Top Bottom