The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Bassist Paul Jackson died in March and so I have been really enjoying rediscovering Herbie Hancock's output from ~1968 - 1976 (Jackson played with Hancock's Headhunters band from 73-76). Amazing bassist, great music.

That's quite the contrast from some of Hancock's later stuff. I always think of Rockit when I hear his name because MTV used to play that a lot.

That's quite the contrast from some of Hancock's later stuff. I always think of Rockit when I hear his name because MTV used to play that a lot.

I love the Future Shock album (that this came from), was already a fan of his stuff but blown away by Rockit. Fun fact - every album between Flood (1976) and Future Shock (1983) is either a throwback to the mid-60s or garbage. Well, a single good duet album with Chick Corea.

I fell in love with Hancock when he was with Miles in the mid-60s "second great quintet" ... which I listen to frequently.

I had the tree trimmer out this morning, as branches kept smacking my porch and roof, and with hurricane season almost upon us, it seemed prudent. I fired up David Bowie live from Glastonbury (not certain on the year, think maybe 2k) and had a blast. I'm sure the workers liked it, though.

Good call, Sammy. Reminded me of another duo from back in the day, Elika.

Alice in Chain's Facelift. Such a seriously great album, one I've not tired of for over thirty years, now.

And then to mellow things out afterwards, I put on A Flock of Seagulls self-named first album. Almost equally fantastic!

oh yeah, dude.
Every time I try and dismiss Facelift (i consider Dirt the pinnacle), I give it another spin and I realize what a fool I've been.

Yesterday I broke out the very best of Depeche Mode, almost three hours of glorious music. I'm not sure how I can top that today, nor if I should even attempt to.

Yesterday on the porch during an epic rainstorm, I que'd up some Don Henley, some of his solo work, not the Eagles. I'm not quite in the same boat as the Dude is with his thoughts on that band, yet I'm darn close because of just how overplayed they were on the radio during the seventies. Actual Mile is a fabulous album, and I recommend it to anyone that's a fan of Henley.

Current fave Woodkid seems very likely to be an RPG fan.

tumblr_ncqg7njkCz1sqk4jdo1_500.gif

Oddly enough, yesterday afternoon I was feeling super mellow and started off the afternoon outside with some Doors, and then made my way to the very best of ol' blue-eyes himself, Sinatra. I'm not sure what the neighbors thought was going on!

My brother recently discovered Moondog and so we've been listening to his work. Moondog's story is pretty insane and well worth looking up, he was a blind composer known as the "the Viking of 6th Avenue."

Back
Top Bottom