The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Live Aid, is it? I watched that live. Got up at 6am (?) to see the kickoff of the London show. I remember the Hooters kicked it off with All You Zombies, but that might have been the US venue rather than the "true" show start over in London. But, if the gauntlet is dropped, this performance kinda pushed me over the edge into buying an album from these guys. They had run a couple vids on MTV (yeah, showing my age yet again) and I was somewhat interested.
"Vienna" by Ultravox @ Live Aid 85

It's a shame that the mixing on a lot of the Live Aid performances was off and even seriously buggered in some cases. The keyboards in The Cars performance were almost silent.

Lots of artists, all live. Wonder if they even rehearsed with the sound engineers? This one isn't too bad. Luckily all but the last Queen track is good. That last one really makes up for it though. ;)

More great stuff from the Damned. This just gets me pumped.

The Damned - Thanks for the Night (Rat Mix)

Last edited:
So it was 2000 and I was going to Richards on Richards to see the Murder City Devils last concert in Vancouver BC. The opening band was At the Driven and I have never been so impressed by a show in all my life. They soon broke up after the public started to take notice of them, and some members formed the band The Mars Volta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6eC8C-K1Vs

Last edited:
I never knew they played on Letterman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un-ZrB0sFto

We are at a buddies who had broken his foot, I had driven to the states to buy hero's of might and magic 3 because it came out 2 weeks sooner there than in Canada.

We had been playing it for a week or more after work at his house and decided to see the the butthole surfers. Half though there set, Gibby leaves with a sample playing over and over again.

"I would love to stay and play for you all night but this is the hottest chick I have seen in years and she wants to give me a @#$# job"

He left with her and never came back on stage with that sampling over and over again.

Funny, a few postings and reflections of how I remember life thought music at times.

1979 we move from the city into the country and I buy my first album Van Halen I am 10.

By 1983 I am into Slayer, Venom, computers and computer games.

1986 I only really like RPG games but now going to punk and metal shows and getting into bands like Ministry and Skinny puppy.

I have my first place, my girlfriend is still in high school living with me and two of my buddies show up at my place in from college. It is 1989 and house plant as we called him, hands me Pretty hate machine by nine inch nails.

A few months later my g/f returns from visiting family on the west coast of the US before University starts and hand me a sound garden under ground CD.

After this I am still into even harder metal but have all this other great music to find and listen too.. 1992 I move to the west coast and I couldn't even keep up with all the bands I have seen …and different tastes.

Let me add to this besides RPG games Pink Floyd has always and most likely will always be at my side. I have seen Opeth 6 times, Slayer 6, and Floyd 4.

Mike will probably love it, but there's just no melody to be found. Pass.

@bobo- I give you a beautiful rain song. Drop this one, close your eyes, and let the rain do accompaniment on the roof.
"Hurricanes" by Siddal

Mike will probably love it, but there's just no melody to be found. Pass.

I actually really LOVE McLaughlin and his 4th Dimension band. I have done stuff with Gary Husband in the past and he is an awesome guy, and have seen McLaughlin live several times over the last 35 or so years. Amazing.

Cool stuff :)

I just found out that one of my favorite young guitarists - Julian Lage - who released a duet album with Nels Cline, is coming to our area (Ithaca, 45 minute drive) soon. Here is a sample of their stuff from last year:

http://youtu.be/dzlBcQe5TKU

Back
Top Bottom