Tales of Arise

As someone who has played every Tales game released in North America to date save this one

We're talking about Arise only, not the ones in the last 20 years, which, (congratulations by the way) are irrelevant to my statement.

It's funny how you can make blanket statements about thousands of games in a genre and feel you're right about anything. I wouldn't be as bold, but to each their own.

We're talking about Arise only, not the ones in the last 20 years, which, (congratulations by the way) are irrelevant to my statement.

It's funny how you can make blanket statements about thousands of games in a genre and feel you're right about anything. I wouldn't be as bold, but to each their own.

I am not talking about JUST Arise and never was. I hardly could be when what I was saying is that Arise is a carbon copy of a hundred other JRPGs, and a dozen other Tales games in particular. You don't get to reply to me and then make rules about what we were talking about.

I am not talking about JUST Arise and never was. I hardly could be when what I was saying is that Arise is a carbon copy of a hundred other JRPGs, and a dozen other Tales games in particular. You don't get to reply to me and then make rules about what we were talking about.

You were the one replying to me, actually, so I make the rules of what I was talking about, not you. You are free to start your own thread or think of your own topics away from my scrutiny, but we are in a Tales or Arise thread, where you specifically quoted this;
Well, Tales of Arise has a unique combat system that is the key of its success and extremely high praise. It also has a unique story written by the developers exclusively for the game, and a unique character cast.

If you were intending to ramble about whatever irrelevant random idiocy that just occurred upon your mind, I don't see why would you quote me talking specifically about Tales of Arise.

If you are going to be pedantic, at least get a grip on your own arguments.

More gaslighting. Typical RPGWatch argument.

My post, which you replied to, was explicitly about how similar this game is to other JPRGs.

You manage to simultaneously say that me talking about other JRPGs is off topic while invoking the similarities of western RPGs, which is apparently on topic in a thread about a JPRG.

You think that you can call a game "unique", with "unique" characters and a "unique" plot and a "unique" combat system without acknowledging any other game. Certainly makes your argument easier to make (any given zombie movie is unique too if we don't acknowledge the existence of any other zombie movie), but it also makes your claims of uniqueness pointless.

Take it easy, I just gave my opinion on a game based on the reviews I've read and and you shat on the whole history of JRPGs. I'm fine with you having your opinion as I said, it just feels like around here lately one can't have an opinion about a game without people taking mortal offense for it, geez.

Take it easy, I just gave my opinion on a game based on the reviews I've read and and you shat on the whole history of JRPGs. I'm fine with you having your opinion as I said, it just feels like around here lately one can't have an opinion about a game without people taking mortal offense for it, geez.

I think this happens the most concerning JRPGs some people around here cannot stand JRPGs I guess. While some people love them, some of my favorite games are JRPGs but they can also become very tiresome and repetitive. I don't really understand what is offensive about people having opinions about games.... well unless they love Skyrim :D

I think this happens the most concerning JRPGs some people around here cannot stand JRPGs I guess. While some people love them, some of my favorite games are JRPGs but they can also become very tiresome and repetitive. I don't really understand what is offensive about people having opinions about games…. well unless they love Skyrim :D

I suppose. I've played Tales of Arise for about 25 hours now, and I can see some of the patterns I hoped wouldn't show up, but it's still a very good quality RPG for those that are into it. For those that aren't, that's fine, there's plenty of western RPGs to choose from.

As for Skyrim, I think it's overrated and I've never actually managed to finish it, but seeing the reviews it gets, I guess it's just not for me. :)

Aye, some people just cannot seem to get past the concept of many jrpgs, and others simply don't care for style of power play that some of them tend to require. As for Skyrim, I played it at launch, finished it, and have never felt compelled to replay it. I doubt I ever will, tbh.

Personally I enjoy many jrpgs, and hope we continue to see them arriving for the computer players.

I've probably played more JRPGs than most of you. I've liked plenty of them over the years. But 30 years in, it's obvious that almost all of them are carbon copies of each other and I'm tired of playing the same game over and over. You can call me a hater all you want, but I think criticism from someone who has played 100+ of a type of game is pretty damn valid.

I still enjoy playing JRPGs myself but I fall into the same group that has played over a thousand of them over thirty years. The formula really hasn't changed that much.

All that has changed is the turn based combat has become action based, and they finally got rid of the annoying constant random battles on an overhead map. That's it.

I've probably played more JRPGs than most of you. I've liked plenty of them over the years. But 30 years in, it's obvious that almost all of them are carbon copies of each other and I'm tired of playing the same game over and over. You can call me a hater all you want, but I think criticism from someone who has played 100+ of a type of game is pretty damn valid.

As valid as any other, indeed.

I don't think so. Someone who has played 10% of the JPRGs I've played is not as qualified as I am to talk about how similar JPRGs are to each other historically.

Of course you do not think so. I mean, what interest could you possibly have in your opinion being more valid than others?

To me it is more valid the opinion of someone who is not jaded and burnt on JRPGs, for example. Someone with an actual open mind to evaluate each topic by its worth rather than making arbitrary generalising blanket statements about it before even giving it a try.

And I guess the fact that Tales of Arise has a 9.1 user score in MC means something too, but they are all people that have no standards. You, on the other hand. You are the one who knows best, with the self-entitled best opinion.

I swear, special snowflakes everywhere.

Last edited:
Of course you do not think so, special snowflake.

I'm just going to throw out diplomacy and call this out for what it is: stupidity. In your world, a movie reviewer who has seen 1,000 movies is exactly as qualified to review movies as someone who has seen 3. As long as somebody has cooked a grilled cheese sandwich, they're as qualified to be the chef of a Michellin 5 star restaurant as anyone else.

Stupidity.

Btw, when are you going to finish editing your post? I've seen four versions of it already.

I'm just going to throw out diplomacy and call this out for what it is: stupidity. In your world, a movie reviewer who has seen 1,000 movies is exactly as qualified to review movies as someone who has seen 3. As long as somebody has cooked a grilled cheese sandwich, they're as qualified to be the chef of a Michellin 5 star restaurant as anyone else.

Stupidity.

Btw, when are you going to finish editing your post? I've seen four versions of it already.

I am indecisive!

Listen, special snowflake, your analogy is flawed. You are not comparable to a Michellin 5-star restaurant, you are comparable to a dead village fastfood retaurant that has been serving greasy burgers for 30 years and thinks that he knows the first thing about burgers.

But look to the East tomorrow. The Sun will raise only for you, my prince.

PS: I won't edit this one. ^^

Listen, special snowflake, your analogy is flawed. You are not comparable to a Michellin 5-star restaurant, you are comparable to a dead village fastfood retaurant that has been serving greasy burgers for 30 years and thinks that he knows the first thing about burgers.

While suitably insulting for our weird ass feud, this analogy makes zero actual sense.

For it to make sense, I would have to have somehow been able to access only certain crappy JRPGs, thus skewing my perspective of what constitutes a JPRG. But I've played them all. Every major series, usually several games in each. Games from different decades. Games on several different platforms. I haven't played any Atelier games, so if you think those are the absolute highlight of JPRG excellence then I guess you got me. Otherwise you're just writing shit because you think it sounds cutting without any care for how illogical it is. And I'm the chef, not the restaurant. Keep up.

(also, you used this same analogy already albeit with tacos, so for an artist you're showing a borderline alarming lack of creativity)

For any analogy you posed to make sense, you'd need to show us all your title approved by a worldwide recognised organization elevating you as one of the greatest opinions about RPGs in the world.

When you make such claims for yourself because you believe yourself special and more capable than others for some random reason like, let's say "I've been playing JRPGs for 30 years", when no title was given to you, other than you asigning it to yourself, there is an existing word: "self-entitled".

Which is what I aptly used in the previous post! It wasn't an insult, just a definition. Stupidity sounded more like an insult when you said it. Addressing my creativity as an artist, that also sounded insulting, and targeted even! But I am not offended, because you don't know the first thing about me, and I know trying to argue with me when you're wrong can be frustrating, so I can not blame you.

People who have valuable opinions are not those who have tried more things either, are those who have a better criterion. Saying things like "all JRPGs bla bla bla and all its fans have no standards" automatically stamps you as invalid for evaluating anything, ever. Of course, special snowflakes will think they are the chosen ones, playing too many Western RPGs will give you that feeling, that I can tell. But it is unfortunately delusions of grandeur. Your opinion is but one single blip in the pool of worldly opinions in which eveyrone thinks they are the ones with the best ability to judge things.

That's why when I judge something, I say it is good/bad for me. Because while I do have a fantastic opinion of myself, I am not delusional about how much my opinion matters in the general consensus.

But for you, my prince, I will say that your opinion matters more, so today you can have something to feel good about. :)

Last edited:
Damn I thought I had it bad with a certain forum member.O_O

So do both of you want pistols or knives to fight it out?

Maybe a game duel would be much safer.:D

Damn I thought I had it bad with a certain forum member.O_O

So do both of you want pistols or knives to fight it out?

Maybe a game duel would be much safer.:D

Wait wh-no!

At some point, I won't care about people thinking they are better or more valid than others just because they say so, and just let them live their fantasy. I feel I always argue about the same thing.

Why do I even care?

Anyway @Couchpotato;, wanna start a thread about what is best, RTwP or TB?

Back
Top Bottom