Days of Dawn, bad news...

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch
Just got this email as a backer…
Dear friends of Days of Dawn.

I sure got your attention now. Nonono, we won't dump the game, though many of you may think we already did by now. The situation is terrible, to say the least and it makes my heart ache. The code base we have is useless. We have put hours and hours trying to make something usable out of it and we have now reached the point where we have to say: Dump it.
We will now do a complete rewrite of the game-engine by another coder. This will take some time, but honestly, the results we managed to get out of the original code have been so disappointing that we could hardly show it to anybody. That was definitely a mistake, a wrong decision I made.
We have fixed it (and saved GhostControl Inc. from experiencing the same problems a while ago), but it cost us way too much time.
So what now?

The good news is: The first bunch of content is all long done. We've got story, SFX, music, graphics. So for the time being, you will soon get a little extra: A kind of 16-bit version of the first 1-2 hours of Days of Dawn! This will not only introduce you to the game's story, it will also help us flesh it out and see if it works. Let's call it a prototype in pixels. Let's call it Days of Dawn Retro. This can be all done by myself without having the coders move away from the rewrite.

EDIT: Just noticed there was an old thread for this game when it was created, maybe I should have added this on that thread instead, if so just delete this one and I'll post it there

Don't post in the old thread.

It's actually not bad news at all.
If the initial code sucks like in this case, it's better to kill it and make a new one. Insisting on bad foundations usually results in an unpatchable mess (for example Zenimax engine but also windows ME and Vista).

This does mean delayed release but I bet noone wants another case of JoWood rushing G3. Besides, there are so many upcoming games that being unpatient in this case is hardly an excuse.

Don't post in the old thread.

It's actually not bad news at all.
If the initial code sucks like in this case, it's better to kill it and make a new one. Insisting on bad foundations usually results in an unpatchable mess (for example Zenimax engine but also windows ME and Vista).

This does mean delayed release but I bet noone wants another case of JoWood rushing G3. Besides, there are so many upcoming games that being unpatient in this case is hardly an excuse.

Well it's bad news in that their kickstarter funds was just above $50k, and if that was like a year ago, I'm preeety sure that's all gone, so a rewrite of the code at this point will probably mean they'll run out of money, if they haven't already.

So they have to make two games, not just one. It's just a delusional project going nowhere. Software is serious business and if they don't have serious coders on the team right from the getgo it's a completely futile effort, and you won't get someone to do it for free or you wouldn't need kickstarter in the first place....

Back
Top Bottom