Prima Games dies miserably

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
https://kotaku.com/strategy-guide-company-prima-games-is-shutting-down-1830335580
Prima Games, the publishing company that has printed video game strategy guides since it was founded in 1990, is shutting down, parent company DK said yesterday. The label will no longer publish new guides starting now, and it will officially shutter in the spring.

Yea it means no Sims 5 Prima Guide that gets completely incorrect already after the first expansion.
Video killed the radio star.

https://kotaku.com/strategy-guide-company-prima-games-is-shutting-down-1830335580

Yea it means no Sims 5 Prima Guide that gets completely incorrect already after the first expansion.
Video killed the radio star.

Sorry you had such a negative experience with your Sims 5 Prima Guide, Jox :p But yeah, I always considered those guides condescending and overpriced. I'm not crying for them but what will the poor dummies do with no internet access and instant walkthroughs that need these things? We must think of those less fortunate.

Sims 5 doesn't exist. I was just giving an example why Prima Games, in it's outdated form, needed to either reorganize or shutdown ages ago.

Less fortunate will, hopefully, start to think instead of relying on handholding now.

I guess the days of buying a cheat guide directly at the same time you buy the video game has passed. I wouldn't call that a bad thing, although I'm a huge proponent for the written word, not so much for these kinds of books/cheat guides, whatever they were. Honestly, I knew people that would complain if the strategy guide wasn't available when they bought the bloody game!

What did I say on another thread print is dead long live the video walkthrough.:p

Seriously though the last time I bought a printed guide was back on the PS2 and XBoX 360 for JRPG games. Anyway nowadays just go to GameFAQs or Game Pressure.

Anyway, I find it sad to see them go. Their guides were quite good and complete.

Last edited:
Aside from buying Wizards & Warriors on eBay and it having a guide, I got one as part of a pre-order package with Jedi Knight II - and loved the detailed way they went into everything. That was the era when there were still manuals (OK, 2002 was really at the END of that era). Oh well ...

I love printed guides but they are completely useless these days since they are out of date even on day of the game's release. And given how developers are patching the games these days, they are not even worth it as toilet paper after months of games release :(

The German-language X-Wing and TIE Fighter guides were incredibly hard to get. They incorporated parts of the story in written form.

Apart from that, I always had a good impression of these printed guides. Too bad they were never readily available here in Germany.

I love printed guides but they are completely useless these days since they are out of date even on day of the game's release. And given how developers are patching the games these days, they are not even worth it as toilet paper after months of games release :(

Indeed I read both the strategy guides for Pillars of Eternity and Lords of Xulima to plan out my characters and both were out of date when I actually started playing because of balancing patches.

Last print guide I bought was for The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for the SNES. I felt so sick and dirty but I was utterly stumped in the chamber where you had to open a door, gate or portal to progress in the game by lighting certain torches that were extinguished. I remember my nephew buying the Prima guide for Elder Scrolls: Oblivion that was the size of a telephone book. I looked at him sadly and thought: "I was once like you."

Personally I don't think even a catalog from Saks Fifth Avenue retail stores where the going price for a wool beanie hat is $255.00 is worth it as toilet paper. You just don't want an ink imprint of a wool beanie hat on your butthole, even $255 ones

I've had a couple experiences where their guides were incorrect in a few areas. Still, I'm sad to see them go. I still have some of my old 90s and early 00s guides, and I like to go back and look at them once in a long while for the detailed pictures in them.

Never had any of them. When I got stuck I would usually ask my friends, and if they didn't know the solution, there was always an option of writing to the local computer magazine (which I never did but the option was there, they had the section dedicated to helping stuck players). Later, when we got an internet connection, everything was few clicks away.

That was my solution for when I got stuck in such memorable games like Wizardry, Bard's Tale, etc, I would simply ask a friend or two. Usually if I took a break and then came back, a solution would eventually present itself. Watching people buy a game and the damn solution book at the very same time never failed to blow my mind.

I bought one for City of Heroes. It was based on a not-late-enough beta build so it had multiple errors on day 1. As the patches rolled in, it became more and more pointless for gameplay. HOWEVER, it is nice for nostalgia!

Back
Top Bottom