The Division - Claims to be an RPG

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Dualshockers brings news that The Division, which as far as I know is a shooter, is claimed to be that, but also a RPG according to the devs.

Reading through the article shows little evidence of that, but I guess we have brought you news on games that weren't much of a RPG either. I thought I just share this with you and leave the game alone after that.

More information.

I didn't know the industry was still doing that. You know, the old "Everything is an RPG as long as it has a health bar and a couple dialog choices". Huh. Learn something new every day I suppose.

So adorable that they call it an RPG. Isn't that just so cute.

Yeah, sounds like they're using a pretty loose definition of RPG… even considering how broad the genre has become ever since the advent of the "action RPG". It is a shooter that has some stats and equipment that can be modified…

I'm not buying it. But hey, best of luck to the developers trying to market this game to RPG fans.

How exactly is this RPG? It perhaps has RPG elements like FarCry 3 (crafting, rudimentary skilltree). But just as in FC3 I see a shooter with a scripted story there, not RPG.

I'm mentioning FC3 because TD is also Ubisoft game.
Dunno, we'll see. Not much is known about the whole game.

Buying or not - depends. You already know I will not buy a game anymore that is not a done deal but is sold as chopped arms, legs and head off, with upcoming numerous gamechanging DLCs (season pass) or similar crap. Also, I really don't want to risk another retarded story game like Watch Dogs is so preordering it is completely out of a question. Eyecandy graphics? Sorry, not paying 50+ € for just that.

Well, it's not that different from calling a tactical game an RPG just because the mechanics are inspired in those of Pen & Paper RPGs. Anyone who is serious about *real* (real meaning, in this case, the original RPGs) can't confuse tactical games with role playing games. Unless they are ten years old and playing D&D. It's an overused expression in videogames industry, but not always in this particular fashion. I know, my opinion is far from popular around here…

One could argue Skyrim, Mass Effect(s), etc are not RPGs, either. I think trying to pigeonhole any game into a defined category is really unnecessary today as just about everything is a hybrid anymore.

That argument would be invalid - once you start playing them, you simply can't have doubts if Skyrim or MassEffect are RPGs or shooters.
ME2 walks the thinnest line in between, it's half-half hybrid and I've written elsewhere that would be a real "action RPG" unlike numerous mousekiller grinders where the only story and quest is "kill anything that moves".

How exactly The Division is close to Skyrim or ME games we have yet to see.

It's just like Tomb Raider and Uncharted are 'adventure games' even though I associate that term more with the old Sierra and Lucas Arts games like Space Quest and Monkey Island.

Tom Clancy's The Division? The game that takes Fall Out as a spiritual ancestor?
Definitively a RPG.
It is on console though, it saves the day.

Everything that has stats in some way is an RPG these days.
And everything that has RPG elements can be called a full RPG.

I stopped scratching my head about this.

I'm not sure if it's an RPG or not but I know I'm looking forward to it.

I wonder if The Division is another Borderlands-like but less cartoony.

Games already in this category (according to me): Defiance and Destiny.

I still know too little to fit The Division into this list.

joxer said:
I really don't want to risk another retarded story game like Watch Dogs

Could you be more precise? Does it mean that the story doesnt make any sense or is it just banal and boring? I ask to be warned…

Everything that has stats in some way is an RPG these days.
And everything that has RPG elements can be called a full RPG.

Yes, just PR crap. Nowadays they make RPGs (ARPGs) for action gamers to have bigger sales. And action games are marketed as RPGs to have bigger sales again. Marketing departments rule in both marketing and development.

Could you be more precise? Does it mean that the story doesnt make any sense or is it just banal and boring? I ask to be warned…
It is just banal and boring and I can't force myself to play the game more although the patch just got released.

The patch that was all of ~50K and did nothing to fix the game. Might have made it worse. Farflame, many people, including myself, have a terrible stuttering problem when the game loads textures -- even people with brand-new, top-of-the-line rigs. Currently, I can't even play the game.

I'm not experiencing any stutter in watch dogs. Dual titans and a 5 ghz proc might have something to do with that though.

They did however get me on the corrupted save game losing about 20 hrs. Of game time.

I found the game to be fun though but obviously that's highly subjective. It does have issues though in its current state. I haven't tried the new patch yet.

If you're running Ultra textures, you will get stuttering unless you tweak the game using mods - or you have 4GB GPU memory.

The speed of the GPU is all but irrelevant.

Given how easy it seems to have been almost fixed or heavily reduced by modders - it's almost a certainty that the port is yet another lazy piece of shit by Ubisoft.

Yes, just PR crap. Nowadays they make RPGs (ARPGs) for action gamers to have bigger sales. And action games are marketed as RPGs to have bigger sales again. Marketing departments rule in both marketing and development.
The situation is beyond that point. Marketing a game as a RPG to boost sales helped to get to the current situation but for a game like The Division, it will sell on its own.

The Division is RPG by any absence of standard that is. So called RPGers wanted RGPs to be about everything but roleplaying. They chose to characterize RPGs by various means, dismissing that the primary dimension of a RPG is roleplaying.
As a result, a game like The Division must be considered as a RPG.
The Division passes things like the final (?) definition of RPGs.

There is no crap in telling that it is a RGP because this game is what people want to be a RPG.

That argument would be invalid - once you start playing them, you simply can't have doubts if Skyrim or MassEffect are RPGs or shooters.
How exactly The Division is close to Skyrim or ME games we have yet to see.

Skyrim has zero role in it. Which makes acting out of a role a very delicate task.

The Division is RPG as a consequence of so called RPGers'will to dismiss roleplaying as the characterizing feature in a RPG.

It was predicted some time ago: expecting that other genres could not, by following their own evolution line, include elements that so called RPGs sold as being exclusive to RPGs, was non sense.
The consequence is direct: more and more games are RPGs (the future is RPG), not because of developpers telling crap, but because of developpers following the so RPGers trend.

It was also predicted that when it was going to happen, so called RPGers were to deny that the games that their own very subjectiveness should qualify as RPGs are indeed RPGs.

One subjective point was, for example, that developpers dropping the magic word was deemed enough to make a game into a RPG.

In this case, the devs did it. Repelled.

Just as predicted.

So called RPGers wanted RGPs to be about everything but roleplaying.

Who are you talking about? There are different groups of players and different generations. This decline was done mainly because of action gamers who were attacted to the genre, initially by old hack & slash games (ARPGs). And first game that did this was Diablo. I noticed that personally in group of my friends and fellow students. For some people it was/is "the best RPG ever". For them RPG is loot, killing monsters and some skills, nothing more. Definitely not for fans of old school RPGs and dungeons.

Back
Top Bottom