DOOM - E3 Gameplay Videos

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Bethesda even showed off some new Doom footage. So here you go everyone.

Last edited:
Hmm I like the visual style and weapons seem to pack a punch. Definitely my kind of fps. Big guns, lots of gore and so forth. :)

I did not like the weapon wheel though. Seemed kind of clunky. I hope you can quickbind weapons and switch them without the console wheel. The wheel just distrupts the flow of action.

An other thing that bothers me slightly is how the game seems kind of "sluggish" and even slow paced at times. I mean there is plenty of stuff happening on screen, but the movement speed seems somewhat slow to me.

I guess underwhelming is what I would say. I found the pace kind of sleepy. It definitely is faster than Doom3 but I would have liked it to feel more hectic. It hardly seemed challenging and more focused on showing off kill animations. Seems to have taken a few cues from Bulletstorm. I really don't know. Didn't seem very groundbreaking and being Doom I just expect it (maybe unfairly) to be.

Last edited:
Definitely underwhelming.

I'm a huge fan of the franchise, and I had high hopes for this game. After seeing some of the footage though, I've got a feeling this might be the first big disappointment of 2015 for me.

The visuals are not impressive at all. It looks like an upgraded version of Doom 3, and that game is more than a decade old.

They stated that this was going to be a return to the style of Doom 1&2, but I didn't get that impression at all. It looks closer to Doom 3/Quake 4 to me. Gameplay is too slow, and there aren't nearly enough enemies onscreen.

I don't like that enemies drop loot now, and it looks ridiculous being lit up by large glowing icons.

The melee finishing moves just look silly to me.

Hopefully that footage is from a very early version and perhaps the release will be quite different. As it stands, I guess I need to drastically lower my expectations for this game. :(

I'm a first person shooter fan, but I hate arena-style shooters, which this looks like it is. And it looks very poor in both graphics and game-play.
Yuck.

One of the things I disliked about Doom 3 was that many of the weapons felt really puny - like pop guns. Really detracted from it, for me.

well ID lost quite much talent when Carmack left the building. Maybe if he had been still part of development, this trailer would look and feel quite different.

And I agree about the scripted melee finishing moves. Not something i'd expect or want to see in a doom game.

As a Doom 1, 2 and Final Doom fan, this doesn't even look like the same franchise. Not interested at all in it now after seeing this.

I just have to shake my head and wonder if any of the devs working on this game played the first Doom games back in the day. Probably not is my guess.

I expected something revolutionary, like others. Or maybe hoped for it. The engine always played such a big part of every Doom release for me. The camera movements are so disorienting (although I remember how they used to talk about such camera action going into Quake when they went full 3D, which ultimately the camera didn't).

Why so negative? Personally, I really liked what I saw, and loved the chainsaw. It is me or was the player controlling the direction in which the chainsaw cuts? Pretty cool. I also liked the melee executions. The leg-pull-and-push-into-face is funny. I did not like the way items/ammo drop. Way too colorful. Maybe they're iterate on that. But overall I quite liked it. Much better than Doom 3 imo. And the SnapMap feature sounds nice. If they can open up modding to a lot of new players, think of the potential.

Why so negative? Personally, I really liked what I saw, and loved the chainsaw. It is me or was the player controlling the direction in which the chainsaw cuts? Pretty cool. I also liked the melee executions. The leg-pull-and-push-into-face is funny. I did not like the way items/ammo drop. Way too colorful. Maybe they're iterate on that. But overall I quite liked it. Much better than Doom 3 imo. And the SnapMap feature sounds nice. If they can open up modding to a lot of new players, think of the potential.

Yes, I thought the sound design was very good, and the sense of impact and kineticism was also good. The new engine doesn't look like cause for a ticker-tape parade, but I could see this being a very good Quake-style shooter. Could definitely do without the glowing loot icons flying about, though.

I don't feel I'm being negative as much as I'm just disappointed.

My dad and I are HUGE original Doom fans. We've played the first few games in the series more times than we count and have learned every level to the point that we remember secrets from every one even years later.

Doom 3 to us was a big disappointment. It just wasn't Doom. Now Doom 4 looks even worse.

Where is the interesting and remarkable level design? The game looks like some ghoul and zombie arena shooting game with over the top gore. It has none of the feel of the original games that it bears the same name with.

By all means, they should release this game and call it Mega Battle Arena Zombie Shooter: The Game, and I'd be fine with that. But it's not DOOM.

Yeah… that's the problem. This was supposed to be Doom.

That's fair comment. Were they promising a return to classic Doom gameplay? Because I didn't find the third one particularly Doom-like, either.

That's fair comment. Were they promising a return to classic Doom gameplay? Because I didn't find the third one particularly Doom-like, either.

There had been various comments over the years that it was supposed to be a return to Doom 1&2 in terms of gameplay style as opposed to the slower and more horror-type style of Doom 3.

For me, that means larger and more open levels and hordes of enemies. In the footage I've viewed so far, I don't think I've seen more than 4 or 5 enemies onscreen at the same time.

I enjoyed Doom 3 for what it was, but I was really hoping this was going to be more like Doom II in a modern graphics engine. Or perhaps something that combined the atmosphere of Doom 3 with the gameplay of Doom 1&2. Sadly, it just looks like a minor evolution of Doom 3.

At least it's probably still much better than the original version of Doom 4 that was in development until 2011. It's said that that game was going to be heavily scripted and closer to something like Call of Duty in terms of level design. http://kotaku.com/five-years-and-nothing-to-show-how-doom-4-got-off-trac-468097062

I grew tired of the original Doom after a week of playing it. I did enjoy Doom 2 in multiplayer, though.

I liked Doom 3 well enough, but it wasn't what I'd call very good or anything. I enjoyed it as kind of an extremely light System Shock.

I wasn't excited about Doom 4 - and now I'm even less excited. Why even have shooting at all, if all you're doing is pressing a button to execute enemies in ridiculous ways? It looks like the king of one-button QTEs.

I guess it will appeal to teenagers, though, which is somewhat appropriate for this mindless genre that should just die already.

All IMO, obviously.

Back
Top Bottom