|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Battletech

Default Battletech

May 17th, 2018, 19:39
I'm finding this game a bit weird on difficulty. The first two optional missions I did were hard (took lots of damage) but then the next 3 were trivial yawns. My skill level didn't really change across the 5 missions (in fact in the last 3 i sabotage one of my mech by refitting it incorrectly but waiting for next trip to reconfigure). The first one specirfically was pia on damage level. Hum. I would have thought the first couple of missions would be easy.
-
Also could use a tip on how to ambush enemy. It seems there is no option to not move but wait and fire if enemy comes in range and that enemy always seems to see me as soon as i see them.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

May 17th, 2018, 19:46
Originally Posted by you View Post
I'm finding this game a bit weird on difficulty. The first two optional missions I did were hard (took lots of damage) but then the next 3 were trivial yawns. My skill level didn't really change across the 5 missions (in fact in the last 3 i sabotage one of my mech by refitting it incorrectly but waiting for next trip to reconfigure). The first one specirfically was pia on damage level. Hum. I would have thought the first couple of missions would be easy.
-
Also could use a tip on how to ambush enemy. It seems there is no option to not move but wait and fire if enemy comes in range and that enemy always seems to see me as soon as i see them.
You can reserve when you see them so they move towards you first.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

May 17th, 2018, 22:39
Yes i know that. WHen you see an enemy has an enemy seen you ?

Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
You can reserve when you see them so they move towards you first.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

May 18th, 2018, 09:11
Yes, unless you have a rangefinder I believe.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

May 19th, 2018, 19:47
Yep. There's a skill that allows you to see what the radar blips actually are, and if you do so, you can shoot at them, even if no mech is close enough to actually "see" them. LRM boats (mechs with mostly LRMs) are really useful together with a mech that can "detect" these radar blips, as you can really soften up the enemy before they get to you. Even better, you can use it on any heavy tanks you get blips for, and if they're SRM carrier, you can take them out quick and painlessly with your LRM boat.
(really, until you've got heavy mechs of your own, and even after that, you should be very careful around unknown heavy tanks)

And then we have the above mentioned rangefinder, which I never found worth using.

Fnord

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

May 19th, 2018, 20:16
Not happy with gog; they need to learn how to program.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

May 19th, 2018, 21:53
Good old games needs to steal some of the workers that Valve has for Steam, I believe. It is annoying as to how more stable most Steam products are versus GoG, and I'd like to know the reason why.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

May 23rd, 2018, 03:10
NO OVERWATCH! We know where that leads: fighters (soldiers, mechs, whatever) all going on overwatch then one single fighter inching just a little bit forward in hopes of getting a bunch of shots at the enemy. Firaxis has been bending over backwards since they released XCOM:EU to find ways to get players to actually stop doing that.

The difficulty is a bit random. Certain kinds of missions (hot landing, destroy a convoy) tend to be harder than others. Special missions tend to push the mech size in missions along.

What's the problem with GOG?? I would they those games would be slightly more stable than Steam's overlay and such.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

May 23rd, 2018, 04:11
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
What's the problem with GOG?? I would they those games would be slightly more stable than Steam's overlay and such.
The problem with GOG is how they patch games, and forcing you to re-download every DLC with an update. Sometimes you have to reinstall the entire game just to update.

With Battetech they didn't even offer stand alone update installers until after 1.0.2
--
"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one and everybody thinks everybody else's stinks."

Couchpotato

Retired News-Editor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

May 23rd, 2018, 16:40
I'm using gog galaxy with battletech and it allows beta patches and does a good job of only downloading partial updates. I'll redownload the entire game in a year or two after all the patches for archive purposes. The problem I ran into is when gog services go down the game will hang during auto saves when it has to contact those services. This is something they could prevent (the hangs) but their coders need a refreshment on timeouts and async programming.

Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
The problem with GOG is how they patch games, and forcing you to re-download every DLC with an update. Sometimes you have to reinstall the entire game just to update.

With Battetech they didn't even offer stand alone update installers until after 1.0.2

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

May 24th, 2018, 04:29
BattleTech patches have been on the big side on Steam, too. Even that tiny one just recently to fix the no-main-story-progress bug was pretty good sized.

I just wish Steam were FASTER. Fool thing seems to spit out data in bursts quite often when downloading instead of a nice, fast, gigabit stream.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

May 24th, 2018, 07:53
Yea on gog the 1.0.4 patch was 3 gb.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

May 25th, 2018, 01:32
Great guns!!!
--

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Tags
fasa, harebrained, mechwarrior, paradox
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Battletech