|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Ever forgot about a game series

Default Ever forgot about a game series

May 4th, 2018, 15:59
and then you run into a thread and a badass trailer such as this that brings you all those years back. That is Tribes all in all its glory. lol. This brought me back.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/midai…y-3rd.1462250/

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

May 4th, 2018, 17:35
How can anyone forget something never heard of. By that I mean numerous crapware exclusives.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)

May 5th, 2018, 11:51
The Tribes games were a long-running game series, mostly Windows (Starsiege Tribes, Tribes 2, Tribes Vengeance, Tribes Ascend), although there was one PS2 title (Tribes Aerial Assault). See their wiki entry.

The great thing is: if you haven't tried them, most of them are free to download now: Hi-Rez Studios bought the IP and gave the older games as free downloads. The downloads are at https://www.tribesuniverse.com/. That includes also the Earthsiege games which were mech robot piloting games similar to MechWarrior.

JaakkoPeltonen

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

June 7th, 2018, 19:30
Originally Posted by JaakkoPeltonen View Post
The Tribes games were a long-running game series, mostly Windows (Starsiege Tribes, Tribes 2, Tribes Vengeance, Tribes Ascend), although there was one PS2 title (Tribes Aerial Assault). See their wiki entry.

The great thing is: if you haven't tried them, most of them are free to download now: Hi-Rez Studios bought the IP and gave the older games as free downloads. The downloads are at https://www.tribesuniverse.com/. That includes also the Earthsiege games which were mech robot piloting games similar to MechWarrior.
I really liked the concept and back in the day I played tribes 2 a lot. I also tried Tribes 1, but my pc was too weak during tribes 1 era, but when tribes 2 was released, I made sure that pc was upto the task. I also played Tribes Ascend more casually couple of years untill the notorious goty patch which drove remaining playerbase away.

It is a big shame that the series never got recognizition it deserved. Tribes 2 was an impressive title, but it's release was much less impressive… Numerious gameplay changing patches drove people away untill most hardcore remained. Dynamix and Sierra situation if I recall wasn't quite optimal for the success of tribes 2 either.

So when Hirez revived the series few years ago, belive that I was truly excited. I don't get excited of first person shooters anymore, because it is always the same old. I'm dead tired of slow movement mixed cover based gameplay and booooring military settings.

So a new tribes was something which sparked my intrest to this genre. Yet they messed up. There was just too much grinding to gain xp and to unlock items, perks guns etc. Their monezation plan was utterly stupid. Hirez kept releasing unbalanced weapons instead of cosmetic items which seems to be the norm for these kind of free to play shooters. And the worst thing was that at first they didn't really care about fixing bugs, optimization of the netcode or releasing more maps which are all vital for the success of any mmo shooter.
Last edited by Dez; June 7th, 2018 at 23:03.

Dez

Man with the hat
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Ever forgot about a game series