IGN - The Best RPGs of 2012

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Following on from their other recent lists, IGN has The Best Role-Playing Games of 2012 - at least, according to them. Mass Effect 3, Diablo III, Game of Thrones, Reckoning, South Park, Torchlight 2, several jRPGs and, my personal choice, Risen 2 make the list:
Quick quote: "Risen's transformation into a swashbuckling pirate adventure hints at a more accessible approach to role-playing than Gothic developer Piranha Bytes usually takes."
More information.

"Risen's transformation into a swashbuckling pirate adventure hints at a more accessible approach to role-playing than Gothic developer Piranha Bytes usually takes."

More accessible? Their games have never been exactly hardcore, have they? What's next on the list? The game plays itself while the "player" just stares at the monitor?

Because the game is based on pirates doesnt mean its watered down. If anything its unique for an rpg.

well I don't think he was talking gameplaywise, its just the setting, Jack sparrow is more trendy than some no name hero swinging a stick.
And sailing involves a bigger change of scenery.
Costumes too!

More accessible? Their games have never been exactly hardcore, have they? What's next on the list? The game plays itself while the "player" just stares at the monitor?

Unless you're one of those guys that thinks "hardcore"= stats & turn-based combat, I'd say PB's games are about as hardcore as you're going to find in a modern crpg.

Unless you're one of those guys that thinks "hardcore"= stats & turn-based combat, I'd say PB's games are about as hardcore as you're going to find in a modern crpg.

I agree. The witcher series does a good job too. Skyrim doesnt cut it, even though it is a good game.

"Best role playin games of 2012" ?
We have a proverb here, it goes like this : "Über ungelegte Eier gackern".
Literal translation would be : "to gaggle about unlaid eggs".

Literal translation would be : "to gaggle about unlaid eggs".

Could you explain it please? Maybe it's just me, but I didn't understand it...

Perhaps "counting chickens before they're hatched"?

I agree with the sentiment - can't see anything especially exciting on the horizon.

Could you explain it please? Maybe it's just me, but I didn't understand it…

My impression was that they are already claiming RPGs of 2012 to be the "best ones" of which they actually couldn't say too much, because they just aren't released yet.

It's like … saying that "these games" are GOTY's for2013 - so to say.

Perhaps "counting chickens before they're hatched"?

Yes - that sounds right.

I agree. The witcher series does a good job too. Skyrim doesnt cut it, even though it is a good game.

The witcher does a good job? really? It's a good game, but it is not a stat driven game by any means, neither are the gothics or elder scrolls. Stats driven is more along turn based combat with no relying on clicking to fight. Reflexes are required even with the stats helping.

The witcher does a good job? really? It's a good game, but it is not a stat driven game by any means, neither are the gothics or elder scrolls. Stats driven is more along turn based combat with no relying on clicking to fight. Reflexes are required even with the stats helping.

That was the whole point. "Hardcore" is not defined by the amount of stats.

These things never get it right. I think this was the year that IGN was off by the most

Back
Top Bottom