Coronavirus (No Politics)

Despite opening up a lot here in Norway, there are still travel restrictions, so the tourism business will suffer from the lack of Germans, Chinese, whatever. The losses are partially compensated by all Norwegians spending their summer holidays in Norway.

But for some business the Norwegian tourists won't help at all, those who sell souvenirs:
OiNzucNcCSHVSTzg3u2KUQ8C5FgxAp-61H2Hg3znU8rg.jpg

Cutish troll wannabes (and other expensive "national romantic" stuff)? No, we won't buy that!!!!

a pibbur who is not imprerssed.

PS. Of course we buy things like that abroad. But here in Norway we're not fooled by overpriced "Norwegian" stuff. DS.

PS. Of course we buy things like that abroad. But here in Norway we're not fooled by overpriced "Norwegian" stuff. DS.

Haha - so true! I think we all do that - and so long as you know what you are doing (over-paying for silly little trinkets) then it really doesn’t matter much.

I wonder if I could interest you in some of these fine items?

london-tourist-souvenir-stall-in-westminster-selling-badges-and-fridge-b3ratk.jpg

My first UK trip (early 90s) I brought my wife back some nice local things from London and Coventry ... later trips to various countries and places in teh US definitely involved silly things for the kids.

pibbur makes a great point - traveling locally you are going to spend less in general and certainly less on support for traditional ‘tourist industry’ stuff. There are so many hidden ways that the pandemic impact the entire world.

My first UK trip (early 90s) I brought my wife back some nice local things from London and Coventry … later trips to various countries and places in teh US definitely involved silly things for the kids.

pibbur makes a great point - traveling locally you are going to spend less in general and certainly less on support for traditional ‘tourist industry’ stuff. There are so many hidden ways that the pandemic impact the entire world.

Yes, it's always good to know a local to a city, to steer you to the good stuff. Most of the places on the tourist trail I avoid like the plague in the summer.

On the larger point, I shudder at the thought of the economic damage. London is actually a major tourist destination, and a lot of folks are going to be bust come the winter. We haven't even begun to see the full impact yet.

Yeah, I've also been guilty of buying those kinds of trinkets now and then.

I try to focus on wearables (like T-shirts), at least those have a use. ;)

Edibles as well, if they can be stored and transported well enough. Actually, I think I miss the food the most when it comes to the missed travel opportunities this year.

According to a report in a Norwegian newspaper (which I didn't read, only the headline), people with Neanderthal genes in their DNA may be more severly affected by COVID-19 than less Neandertalish people.

pibbur who suspects that Grimoire2 may be postponed after all.

According to a report in a Norwegian newspaper (which I didn't read, only the headline), people with Neanderthal genes in their DNA may be more severly affected by COVID-19 than less Neandertalish people.

pibbur who suspects that Grimoire2 may be postponed after all.

Grim tidings for Cleve's version of the master race.

I have this one already:
picture.php

a pibbur who thinks this is the best London souvenir.

PS. I also have a couple of famous road signs (miniatures, I didn't steel real ones. Now that's an idea, maybe next time). Abbey Road comes to mind (placed next to my guitar effect boxes). And the parliament (put that one on our bedroom door). DS

Grim tidings for Cleve's version of the master race.

No surprise, really. Since the Neanderthals left us 35.000 years ago, unlike us, they can't develop any immunity towards the disease.

a pibbur who sometimes makes sense. And sometimes not. You decide.

I suspect they've devised some way of securing the popular road and tube signs, or they wouldn't make the next sunrise.

London's a funny old place, and God knows it has its problems, but I do like the fact that, in terms of interesting things per square meter, I can always wander about and find something fairly stimulating.

Last edited:
UK resident here, seems like one of the vaccines in phase 3 is being developed/tested here. Please save me!

Great sadness strikes me as my trip to Disneyworld got cancelled due to Covid, but at least it'll get refunded, and it's just an inconvenience, people have some real problems out there. Hopefully can give it another go next year, in any case.

Thanks, that's pretty interesting.

I wonder what the drop-out rates are, that is, how many potential vaccines have already failed in each respective phase.

Yes, that would be interesting to know. Possibly no-one has collated that data, yet. Probably makes sense for the Guardian to concentrate on tracking the main candidates, for now.

Cacheperl said:
I wonder what the drop-out rates are, that is, how many potential vaccines have already failed in each respective phase.

If you are interested in the sordid details of all the ongoing clinical trials and their status (not only for vaccines, but also for therapeutics), there are much more comprehensive data sources than the Guardian:

https://www.clinicaltrialsregister.eu/ctr-search/search?query=covid-19
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?cond=COVID-19

You should be able to figure out from these databases if a trial had to be terminated prematurely (or even just query for terminated trials).

a pibbur said:
No surprise, really. Since the Neanderthals left us 35.000 years ago, unlike us, they can't develop any immunity towards the disease.

Ripper said:
I suspect they've devised some way of securing the popular road and tube signs, or they wouldn't make the next sunrise.

For a moment there, I was surprised to learn that the Neanderthals had had the foresight to come up with solutions for securing road and tube signs in London.

If you are interested in the sordid details of all the ongoing clinical trials and their status (not only for vaccines, but also for therapeutics), there are much more comprehensive data sources than the Guardian

Yes, not suggesting the Guardian as an authoritative source, but I would have reasonable confidence in their attempt to provide an accessible tracker of the most promising candidates to the public.

Back
Top Bottom