BattleTech - Review @PCGamesN

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PCGamesN reviewed BattleTech giving it a 9/10. BattleTech will be releasing in a matter of hours on GOG and Steam.

The BattleTech board game has been around for decades but this is the first videogame that can be considered a true adaptation. Previous games, like MechCommander, have approximated parts of the ruleset, while others, such as MechWarrior and MechAssault, have been spin-offs set in the same universe.

What Harebrained Schemes have achieved, however, is to capture the nuances and unique flavour of the original BattleTech. It brings in weight-class initiative-dictated movement phases, stability stats, and Called Shots. It’s very exciting for people who, like me, enjoy stats, but those that don’t can get away with just knowing the game is richer for it.

[...]
More information.

Initial Steam reviews are very negative: random crashes, clunky, poor graphics,...

Actually they are mixed and the negative reviews fall into 3 categories, those who can't start the game, because of blackscreen, those who have an extra wide screen where the extra wide screen resolution isn't supported, and those that have problems with the gender neutral pronoun option in the game:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/637090/discussions/0/3211505894148683104/

Actually they are mixed and the negative reviews fall into 3 categories, those who can't start the game, because of blackscreen, those who have an extra wide screen where the extra wide screen resolution isn't supported, and those that have problems with the gender neutral pronoun option in the game:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/637090/discussions/0/3211505894148683104/

I'll never understand people raging over OPTIONS in a game. Idiots. I also have a hard time sympathizing with those who immediately leave a bad review because they can't get the game to run. Perfectly valid if it's never adressed maybe, but at least give the developers a chance to respond with a patch or two before you rage out.

Personally if a game doesn't start I'll start by looking at my own system and settings, I won't start yelling at the developers.

The not starting was not the actual case; it couldn't play the intro video because of missing codex (i.e, black screen) - i think if you wait for the video to finish it will eventually continue - at least that is what one poster said. I did not have this problem either because I'm on windows 10 or I have the gog version. I just started teh game and got as far as starting the first mission then went back to fallout 3 - which i'm in the middle.

Last edited:
If they are hardcore fans I can understand complaining about the gender option as from what I heard it totally goes against the lore.
Would be like making half the population in Kingdom Come black.

Can't say I really care about minor details but why try to appease to a few snowflakes at the cost of their own lore and Battletech fanatics?

If they are hardcore fans I can understand complaining about the gender option as from what I heard it totally goes against the lore.

Can't say I really care about minor details but why try to appease to a few snowflakes at the cost of their own lore and Battletech fanatics?

If that is the case (lore) I could understand someone being a bit annoyed by it, but if you're raging about it I doubt lore is the issue. Personally, I don't really see the point for the option but it should be pretty damn easy to ignore. Much like other things I don't care about like romancing in Bioware games or decorating my house in Skyrim. If it makes someone else happy, I just can't see a problem with it.

Last edited:

It. Is. An. Option.

Complaining that an option exists is moronic. The people complaining & leaving bad reviews for such a trivial OPTION are the snowflakes.

I that is the case (lore) I could understand someone being a bit annoyed by it, but if you're raging about it I doubt lore is the issue. Personally, I don't really see the point for the option but it should be pretty damn easy to ignore. Much like other things I don't care about like romancing in Bioware games or decorating my house in Skyrim. If it makes someone else happy, I just can't see a problem with it.

Why wouldn't fans be passionate about the lore? Presumbably they read novels full of it and plan campaigns based on it. The lore is much older than the current political climate.

Seems much more likely to me than other reasons. The people defending gender pronouns think of things only in terms of race and sex and reduce things to group identity. I would not call them fans. They are only interested in BattleTech as a propaganda vehicle. Something Marvel comics fans can attest to.

It would be like saying Star Trek Discovery Trek is just as valid as the original Trek lore wise except the former is all at sea with the lore and the fans know it. Don't get me started on the new 'Klingons.' :)

Somebody's pissed about the new Star Trek...

:p

Heh, I haven't seen it yet. I'm much better at avoiding things that are likely to piss me off these days than I used to be. :p

It. Is. An. Option.

Complaining that an option exists is moronic. The people complaining & leaving bad reviews for such a trivial OPTION are the snowflakes.

I dunno. I personally find it dumb, but I don't think it'd really bother me. But that being said options can ruin an experience.

It'd be like seeing an option to be a black woman soldier if you played on the German side of a WW2 army platoon. That option would be absolutely moronic to the history and time period. Even seeing that would bother me because it shows so little respect for the accuracy of that period.

If it was just an arcadey game and history didn't matter (like a wolfenstein)? Sure, have at it.

Anyway, I don't think it's fair to call them moronic just because an option bothers them that goes against the actual lore of the product they're passionate about.

Granted I have almost no experience with the BattleTech IP, but how in hell does giving the player of a computer game the option to refer to themselves using a gender neutral pronoun do anything whatsoever to ruin the lore of the damn game? Are you freaking serious? I may personally find the idea of gender neutral pronouns ridiculous, but I'm all for people having the right to call themselves whatever the hell they damn well please--in video games, and in real life.

And, for the record, the new Klingons ROCK!!!!! Speaking as a fan of TOS and TNG.

Don't know about no gender thing, all I know is that I just finished a 10 hour session of Battletech, loving it so far.

Downvote. I think the gender neutral pronoun should be just "e" instead of "them". Feel my wrath!

No, seriously, I'm having a blast with this game so far. I've only spent about 4 hours in it and just spent a good half hour reading tutorials so I know what I'm doing. My last experience with a battletech game was waaaaaaaayyyy back on the GEnie network! I got a FASA book back then filled with mech descriptions and have never gotten to really use it for anything since I stopped playing on GEnie.

I've only noticed one bug so far: overheating seems to cause all your armor to fall off when you go back to your ship.

I have been playing a tonne today as well. Good fun so far but Commando mechs suck or I don't know how to use them so far. Maybe its my tactics.

@Clocknova;
I don't know the lore either but at a guess I'm thinking things like the Matriachy just wouldn't work if gender is considered a fluid thing in-game. That is all speculation on my part however.

We have this weightlifter in NZ who tried to win a medal at the Commonwealth Games as a female. Thing is a lot of people felt that wasn't fair to the female athletes that had trained their whole lives for this event. What happens to womans sports if that becomes acceptable? And so on. She got injured and so didn't win a medal. But changing a paradigm like that changes alot of things about how stuff work. All the assumptions have to change and really should they? A question for another day perhaps.

I'm more puzzled how anyone can be a fan of the new Klingons. They are so wooden. Anyway its cool to like a thing or to not like a thing, capiche?

Back
Top Bottom