Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Only way I know is the mod that lets you do it by CTRL H. Can get the mod on Nexus.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/52

By the way for people who don't want to use the Unity mod manager, which requires re-install after each patch, there is this mod:

https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/20?

"This is a passive mod loader framework specifically designed for Pathfinder: Kingmaker. It is designed to not modify core game files, and thus will survive updates and patches in-tact. Currently bundled with Better Portrait Selection and Player Goblins. Now with Unity Mod Manager integration! See the details in the full description. "

Thanks, with the camera and zoom mods, i could have taken some beautiful ss but the bigass UI was in the way

Nok-Nok is voiced now! :D and it looks like more content are added (at least in early games) - I saw a few extra quests that adds more flavour to Bloom events. Enjoying my 3rd run :D

While I agree Kingmaker has some design issues (like all games) I think you are overly focusing on negatives only. Your choice though. And I can't think on many games that handled companions better than Kingmaker. Again though, happy to disagree. I can't type effectively on the phone either so going to leave this discussion here.
I was arguing about replay value, I just listed concrete arguments on design to justify my point of view. I wasn't arguing on companions management. I read you wrote you tend stick with games you enjoyed a lot, so clearly we can't agree about replay value.

I don't see what's so good in companions management in PK. For me they are too diluted along a very long play, and I don't like at all this design killing them in last parts if you let them quiet for a replay.

If you want that I list some good aspects in PK, out of the last two chapters, I could, it won't change my opinion that those last two chapters are making this game an absurd waste. Anyway:
- The rest system is the first I ever seen really working, all details was well thought and setup, and for sure that there's some timed quests, and time kingdom management, is a part of it. But there's also the nice touch to limit rations through weight, to add hunting in travels but not in dungeons, some more.
- There's a really good work on combats, only last two chapters lost the track. It includes, a great effort on diversity, a great effort to make the RTwP working well with more modern classes designs. On that it's only missing the great movement push mechanism in PoE2. And if tactical depth and diversity is limited by the RTwP, the great idea is to have put a lot of the complexity and diversity at meta level, party building and combat preparation.
- During in game chapter 0 to 4 or perhaps 5, there's a very good work on mystery thread that increase well the curiosity. More effort on that is missing a lot in modern RPG writing.
- Writing on companions is very uneven with some parts quite weak, but there's also some parts for some companions that are just great writing. I regret not many was really attaching for me beside Linzi, and Nok Nok until I quote how bad was his writing. A good point is none are really pale or uninteresting. I'll stick on the positive as it's the challenge but I would have many negative to add too.
- Kingdom Management isn't a strategy game but it's possible that it wasn't the plan, perhaps more dev time was missing for better tuning, and make it more a light strategy game. It is still a major aspect of the game, and even if generally I don't like timers, overall it works very well and it adds a lot to gameplay. And even now I'm a lot more interested by RPG using time.

Happy?

EDIT: But the last two chapters waste totally the game, what a piety. Not that it wasn't fun play before. :)

@Dasale;

We are keep going around in circles - it's quite clear that what you don't like happen to be what I like, so let's agree to disagree.

In another post, I listed the things that adds replayability for me, and you pointed out you don't care about any of them.

In terms of companions, I actually like that their story is told across chapters. Yes, I would have liked if there were more banters and interjections but I rather prefer well written companion quests and dialogue even if it doesn't occur often than getting bombarded by dull dialogues. I really loved each companion's story development and it made sense it wasn't all resolved in space of short period.

So totally different views.

@Dasale; try using spoiler tags bud. Not everyone has beaten the game.

Finished tonight and okay with ending for the most part.

Spoiler is MAJOR spoiler of course as I discuss endings.

I did two endings. The first was ending at chapter 6 by letting Nyrissa get the last grain of sand. Smug LK was happy and let me go. Everything went according to his plans for the most part. Even Nyrissa got what she wanted - to be an eldest. Although being the Eldest of dust and trampled hope (or something like that) sounded pretty bad. I wasn't a bad ending though. Kingdom is saved and you can let the fey and their schemes and amusements stay in the first world. Makes you wonder if Nyrissa would seek revenge now that she is an Eldest and a pretty negative one at that.

Then I went with the far harder ending in chapter 7. While I did not romance Nyrissa (and certainly never will) I did give her the briar back (CN to see what happened) and then convinced her to side with me against the LK.

The final battle against the LK took me over an hour and a couple tries. At the end … I had 4 options. One was "Finish the battle" which I really wanted to do but was afraid what would happen and after so many attempts to try and defeat him I so didn't want to try it again. Anyone try it? Can you kill him? He says something about not wanting to die and then reviving in FW because the other elders always use that as a chance to play pranks. Curious what happens if you select that line.

Immortality with Nyrissa? Nah. While I do feel bad for her I don't like her and certainly don't want to get into an eternal fight with her against the LK. An eternity plotting and scheming against an Elder … not my idea of fun.

Immortality as the LK's herald. That had a lot of appeal at first. My character is a Sylvan Sorcerer and fey touched. Having his kingdom partially linked to the First World, becoming immortal, and being the LK's herald would fit him. But … eternity is a long time and from what I read only immortal while in my own kingdom - as that is what was tied to the FW. If I died outside my kingdom it was unclear what would happen. Hence making the kingdom eventually feel like a gilded cage. More to the point - the LK is not human and eventually I suspect my characters morals would get into conflict with those of the LK. Nor am I big on being involved with schemes for eternity with the fey lords. Lastly Nyrissa would be forgiven by the LK but she states she would continue to fight him … and I would be his champion. Just not comfortable with it.

So went with the last option, similar to chapter 6, be mortal and tell the LK to leave me and my kingdom alone. Pretty rough ending for Nyrissa as one of the cards stated "Now and then Fenn (my character) would have dreams of Nyrissa dying by the Jabberwocky and being reborn again and again and again. An eternity of that - pretty horrible even if I didn't like her that much.

So "Eldest of dust and trampled hopes" or "Dying over and over in a constant fight" … no idea which is worse but suspect the second.

From what I can see there are only two ways to get a decent ending for Nyrissa. The best for her is the romance. But that is impossible for my character as he simply doesn't love her - so its not true love and won't work. He can barely tolerate her. In his mind he was a temporary ally to defeat the true enemy - the LK.

The next best is you both remain allies for eternity - you are immortal thanks to Nyrissa and you get your kingdom but you also will be fighting the LK with Nyrissa for eternity. So maybe good for her but not me.

I suppose the third is you could kill Nyrissa in chapter 6 which would end her suffering for good. That sounds better than being Eldest of dust or dying over and over. Course then you have to fight the LK on your own.

Did anyone kill Nyrissa, then do chapter 7 and fight the LK? Does Nyrissa stay dead if you kill her in chapter 6? Or does she resurrect in First World so you have to fight her and the LK instead? Fey can't be killed so I am very curious if you do kill her in chapter 6 if she stays dead for some reason.

All in all a great game. I may try to kill her and then do the ending again. She gets peace that way (if the death is permanent) and I get to smack down the LK a little. Just not looking forward to those endless fights at the end.

Curious what others did if they did NOT romance Nyrissa.

Tough decisions no matter how you look at it.

Last edited:
Very nice write up @wolfgrimdark; :)

I chose the exact same endings as you in both chap 6 & 7.

I don't think I ever got an option to fight LK to the end… Strange. Would love to see what happens in chap 7 & ending slides if you just kill Nyrissa in chap 6. Maylander already unlocked the secret ending which I'm trying to go for this time but I don't know - romancing Nyrissa just doesn't sound right to me. Can I really love a fey who brought down all the horrors on me and my subjects? I don't think it will be easy. I would love to see her throwing the curse right back at LK jerk but… At the same time, I feel that mortals shouldn't be interfering with higher power, lest you end having similar fate to Nyrissa.

Edit: did you think the castle (chap 6) was as horrible as I described in the review?

Here is my take on the last two big areas in the game - so aye was horrible but since I played on easy it was more bearable for me. So if playing on hard I think I would agree with you … since certain parts felt that way even on easy.

For the House at the Edge of Time - the fog barriers for worlds A and B (reality and irreality as one explained) was somewhat annoying but the only *really* annoying one was that last room where there was one fog barrier … then just a few feet later a second fog barrier and that was the one needed. So much needless random teleporting and running around. They just made that too complicated IMO. But the rest of the house was okay. I also was on easy so the combat wasn't as bad for me - although the Wild Hunt was always a struggle.

Then for chapter 7 when you have to fight your way through the castle area to reach the LK … that was very irritating. I had weakened the curse but never did get full access to my high level spells which was annoying as that is half the fun of being a caster. Also the WIld Hunt was brutal.

Still I played the game on easiest mode (hate lots of drawn out combat) so for me it wasn't too bad … but still time consuming. I can only imagine how painful it would be for someone playing are hard. The Wild Hunt hit hard, were difficult to kill, and being paralyzed was a big PITA. especially with so many of them.

Then that final battle with the LK. I put everything on easy as possible and it still took me two tries to bring him down … and the battles were long and drawn out.

If I redo the ending, by killing Nyrissa, and then going through all of that reclaiming of land, clearing the castle, and fighting the LK again, I will come back and let you know.

Still I think my canon and official ending was my first choice in chapter 6 - let Nyrissa take that sand and be done with the tricky fey and their cruel amusements. Such a waste to reach 999 kingdoms and countless lives destroyed and not let her take it - then the curse is lifted, she has no reason to destroy more kingdoms, and the mortals get left alone. She also got what she wished for if in a cruel way … but she did a lot of cruel things curse or no curse (and Ivar and Evandra, and one other sister) showed the curses could be fought or even made good in the case of Ivar. I just couldn't see forgiving all that and becoming her BFF and ally. At best I could see accepting she was under the influence of a curse and just tell her and the other fey lords to leave me and my people alone.

Also annoying that I did almost all the content and was only level 15 at the end and never saw the final high level perks or spells. So when I replay with ranger I will make sure I use the level scaling mod to make it to 20.

That aside I totally loved the game and the companions!

Also annoying that I did almost all the content and was only level 15 at the end and never saw the final high level perks or spells.
In endgame you can get a lot of XP by persuasion skill checks. Did you manage that?

In endgame you can get a lot of XP by persuasion skill checks. Did you manage that?

Yes although I have it set to shared among the crew. Fenn is my charmer with charisma 29 (with equipment, think it was 21 naturally) and he usually passed every kind of persuasion check.

I dinged to level 16 literally between the end and the fade to white for the slide show which was useless at that point.

It isn't a huge deal and I am ware about sharing EXP. But I preferred keeping everyone at the same level as I was switching them out a lot for quests and flavor.

To me, personally, I think there needs to be a little better balancing so you can reach 20 at the end without having to disable sharing of XP. But I know its complicated. Luckily there is a mod for that :)

I'm hoping DLCs and future patch will provide more content (consequently, more exp) so we reach the house at higher level.

That makes me think though, I wonder if we will end up with lower level if you play with the first DLC with shared exp on:

since the tiefling lady is really two, not one person. Hmmm...

Shared exp simply gives 1/6 of all experience to everyone, even to those outside your party. So if you always play with 6 characters sharing is the best you can do. Regular level 20 might be possible with 2 characters and sharing turned off. I'm playing with 6 and the scale XP mod; I recently started chapter 3 and my party is level 12 right now. Let's see how it goes.

Yes although I have it set to shared among the crew. Fenn is my charmer with charisma 29 (with equipment, think it was 21 naturally) and he usually passed every kind of persuasion check.

I dinged to level 16 literally between the end and the fade to white for the slide show which was useless at that point.
Not all high xp checks are endgame. I recall the highest being the intimidate check
in Armag's tomb with the guardian cleric
and in the pirates quest in Pitax. Ended up level 17 for the last two chapters, and that was with a full party.

I shared XP as well and reached level 18 during the final fight. I didn't do any grinding.

EDIT: Well my bad so foot in mouth syndrome. I went to play and saw I was level 16 and dinged to 17 at the end. I was off by one. I suspect with the few quests I missed and some more combat it would have been 17/18. So closer than what I had thought. Still would be nice to make 20.

Last edited:
Follow up as I redid the end of chapter 6 and redid 7 with different choices. Will include that in the spoiler below. I also added the level scale mod and maxed it as I wanted to get to level 20 for the final fight since I never got my level 9 spells before.

I also found I had missed on region to reclaim which made the final battle earlier extra hard as I was still under part of the curse. This time I had full access to my spells and was level 20 for the final fight. But this was mainly to see what would happen.

So in chapter 6 I killed Nyrissa. Not totally out of anger though. It was a mix of anger and sadness for what had happened to her. I wonder if this was the best option (short of romance) as the other two seemed pretty hollow and empty - Eldest of dust and trampled hope … or having to keep fighting the Jabberwocky and living and dying over and over. At least death brings her peace and maybe her soul would go to Pharma.

Anyhow what happened. After she died the LK was pissed. So I went to chapter 7 where the worlds merged. It was exactly the same as if I had asked Nyrissa to be my ally - only Nyrissa stayed dead and did not come back. So I had to do it without her.

I did the final battle with the LK and got the same dialogue MINUS the option to become immortal with Nyrissa and fight at her side in an eternal fight against the LK.

I then choose the line [ATTACK] Fight and finish the LK.

The response wasn't what I expected. Instead of fighting the LK said lets stop this pointless exercise (since he can't be killed permanently in this case). So that just removed the fight/attack option and back to the other two options - become his herald or tell him you would forget about him and he would forget about you - after restoring things to normal.

So same ending pretty much except Nyrissa is dead versus fighting him or stuck in a life/death cycle.

All said and done now I think this is my favorite ending as I think death, after all she did and her hollow life now, seems the most fitting. Plus I gave the smack down to the LK :p

Followed extremely closely with the ending in chapter 6 where Nyrissa gets what she wanted and becomes an Elder. She refused my offer to return her soul (briar) as well. So I wonder what kind of Elder she would be. To my mind not a very nice one considering her title. But who knows. Regardless she got her position, the LK got his ending, and I … I got my kingdom back.

So once I decide on my canon ending I will delete the others, back up my saves, and start my Ranger Tiefling :)

Question regarding hour of rage:

I did BF first and found Kassil dead on the battle ground, right next to Jamandi. So is it confirmed that he actually dies if I don't do HoR first or is it a bug (he's my most favoured General, sigh).

Also, I'm trying to find Armag's tomb before the timer expires this time - I passed all athletics check with the boatman, but still can't find his tomb via perception check. Can I still make it on time if I finish the kingdom project that increase chance to discover his tomb?

Instead of fighting the LK said lets stop this pointless exercise (since he can't be killed permanently in this case). So that just removed the fight/attack option and back to the other two options - become his herald or tell him you would forget about him and he would forget about you - after restoring things to normal.

Yeah, that's what bothered me about this ending.
At the end of the day, the Lantern King is free to continue as before. Even the other elders apparently agree that his games have gone far enough, because in the secret ending they help you find out how you can strip him of his immortality, even though this knowledge could be also used against them.

As for Nyrissa being an elder, the game seems to deviate from the original story. There is no lost love, instead she wanted her kingdom for the independence it would give her & her friends from the elders. I recall a dialogue where she talks about not having to live according to their whims anymore, or something like that. Which, once you learn to know LK better, is not really surprising.

Question regarding hour of rage:
I think you can retry the check if you have new characters in your party that haven't made the roll yet, so maybe try taking Jaethal along just for the trip?

Back
Top Bottom