Images to inspire RPG locations

Ah yes, I can see that now. Now, should I spoil it by saying what it is?

Ok, I'll put it in spoilers:

It's a very small hill that was once heavily mined in centuries prior. A hill with a chunk missing. Rowley's Hill:

https://www.harstonhistory.org.uk/content/places/something-else/rowleys-hill

As it sits right in the middle of a vast array of cereal fields it has so far avoided being used as a golf course, lol

ihchtim.jpg

2pboaGO.jpg

7WV2koL.gif

Awesome thread. I have some what I had patience to upload:

pF20dnO.jpg

x0PzL6I.jpg

I particularly like the top structure, with the chimneys. Any idea of its function?

I think the bottom one is one of the waterline underground tunnels entrance and the top structure is Pacold's limekiln - I didn't find detailed information in english.

See - that's what I enjoy about this sort of thing. I did an image search for Pacold's limekiln, and didn't find what I expected, but picked up these new ones for the collection.

Limekiln-Big-Sur-26.jpg

5338388076_e6b1b08da6_b.jpg

limekiln-state-park_c748a4d80c82c671589b206b7661883d.jpg

You have been following the dirt road for two hours now. All around you, the most barren, hostile terrain you have ever seen, as if scorched by some cataclysm eons ago… the road slopes up a hill, and all of a sudden, you glimpse a dome-like structure, gleaming white in the glaring sun, mostly buried in the soil, so it would have been easy to miss.

foto_027248320120829114403.jpg

A ramp slopes downward. The exterior is so bright that the end of the ramp is completely indiscernible, shrouded in impenetrable shadows. On a nearby mountaintop, mysterious structures loom into the steel-blue sky:

l3qCeLRaU_MqL1Dlh2zrXGE_vciMkcW46eQxuaq5WnXtCvcItEP9d7pr3RruFF1ta_dQoPAHVnKnH7jXp_hkbUJ5M_ONJCXX_v0lFpCIWO_hyoLqpSVTDoEI_NPEc0DrcSsm-q90rvLFbcf7FAAAcOlz

You exit the vehicle and walk down the ramp, arriving at a massive door. To your surprise, it swings open as you give it a gentle push, revealing…

potw1227b.jpg

that looks like a hotel on Mars from the future :)

another two - older ones, I guess they are the last from me.
I called them Goblin camps inspired by Tolkien.
Sadly I'm not that good photographer - it doesn't have the right light like the romantic fantasy ones.

yvaqizz.jpg

neptXvS.jpg

Chemetco_aerial_view.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff.

Bit off-topic, but after collecting this stuff, I use an open-source Bookstack server to organise things into electronic scrapbooks. It's technically a wiki, but I don't really think of it like that; it has a paradigm of organising things into shelves, books, chapters and headings, and to me it's just a great way to organise pretty much anything I want to write down. I've used other software over the years that had more functionality, but I've found the clean simplicity of this system works best, for me.

When I find interesting new images, I'll add them to a notebook with perhaps a couple of ideas. I find the bookcase metaphor just helps me organise things in context, which makes it more likely that go back and get some value from past ideas. (And also for website bookmarks - a pile of a thousand bookmarks is of almost no value, but when I put the links in context, I'll actually go back and use them.)

Château de Montségur in winter.

e2ae15084450a501cf71dc44a0ad0687.jpg

I have recently seen a calendar called "Lost Places" in a bookshop. There even seems to be kind of a community of photographers hunting abandoned places.

There is not much yet I could contribute, because for that I'd have to browse through my own pghotos, but I love taking photos of wood paths. I often stop at certain places on a path, and then taking a photo which I call a "mood picture" of the path. I just love it, for example, when a path in a wood takes a turn or opens into something.

One contribution I can make, however, is a photo I took along a small path around the "Dornburg", wghich is a highish plateau consisting of Basalt stone, which has a few legends connected to it. A celtic oppidum was on its top, but so far the government doesn't show any interest in further excavating it (a wall had been excavated more that 100 years ago, if I remember correctly).

That "Dornburg plateau" is located high above a small group of villages located between Limburg an der Lahn and Westerburg in the far west of federal state of Hessen.
On the map on that Wikipedia page, you can see Limburg at the far west.
Wikipedia page about the village of Dornburg, having a photo of the "Rödchesmauer", which is the wall of the celtic oppidum : https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornburg_(Hessen) and in English language : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornburg,_Hesse

At least 2 villages of the group of villages are 1200 years old now, according to the first recorded mention in documents of them.

Well, and here is my contribution : Take a look at those crossed branches in the middle …

Attachments

• Astmuster Dornburg nahe beim Ewigen Eis Sommer 2020 vom Weg aus gesehen.jpg
    Astmuster Dornburg nahe beim Ewigen Eis Sommer 2020 vom Weg aus gesehen.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Astmuster Dornburg nahe beim Ewigen Eis Sommer 2020 zoom.jpg
    Astmuster Dornburg nahe beim Ewigen Eis Sommer 2020 zoom.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 35
Back
Top Bottom