Just an observation

P

pibbur

.. and maybe food for thought. (<Homer voice> Foooooood</Homer voice>)

After the death of MJ, there has been a lot of advertising for his back catalog. No surprise, and I can't really say anything against it.

But whenever I see the commercials I think about Vincent Van Gogh who was extremely poor throughout his lifetime. And today his paintings are sold for tens of millions of dollars. Again I can't really say anything against it. But it is a sad paradox.

For once I didn't mention Norway in my post.

Yeah. It's a shame MJ never made a cent on his songs during his lifetime.

No, wait...!

As long as the earnings will go to his kids I don't see anything wrong.
For once I didn't mention Norway in my post.
You just did

we had a local multi-talented artiste (actor, comedian, director, songwriter, singer, musician) many years ago who was ridiculed in his later days but after he died, the accolades poured-in and he was given a national award posthumously.

i remember there's a quote that goes like this: society likes heroes but what they like even more is fallen heroes. sad truth of fact.

After the death of MJ, there has been a lot of advertising for his back catalog. No surprise, and I can't really say anything against it.

But whenever I see the commercials I think about Vincent Van Gogh who was extremely poor throughout his lifetime. And today his paintings are sold for tens of millions of dollars. Again I can't really say anything against it. But it is a sad paradox.

Ironically, I wrote exactly this in a post in the Larian forum.

Cynically said, everybody became suddenly busy in argueing that there are no similarities at all in this case.

The main argument was, as far as I can remember, that nowadays there aren't millions of Van Gogh paintings sold - like CDs by Mr. Jackson are sold nowadays.

From this argument on, it was argued that there are no similarities there. Simple as that.

There is a general upswell of attention when a popular artist dies ... whether it is Michael Jackson, Elvis, Miles Davis, or whomever ...

He said "Norway!" Stone him!

Hereafter I will just refer to the country, which name I shall no longer mention, as "Paradise" (or if I for some reason want to annoy dte: "Lefty Paradise").

But back to the thread: My intention wasn't really to compare MJ and VVG, but to dwell upon the sad paradox: VGG's life in extreme poverty, and the sales his paintings get today. MJ was only the spark that triggered the association in my mind.

Edgar Allen Poe died drunk and penniless in a gutter, now an NFL team is semi-named in his honor. Galileo was found guilty of heresy for saying the Earth revolved around the sun, only to have the Pope in the early 1990s publicly apologize and express regret at the handling of the situation. Funny how it all works out.

Yes, but sometimes it just takes too long.

Poor Jeanne d'Arc !

Hereafter I will just refer to the country, which name I shall no longer mention, as "Paradise" (or if I for some reason want to annoy dte: "Lefty Paradise").

I believe the term you're looking for is "Workers' Paradise," lghartveit.

Back
Top Bottom