Genres that need more RPG coverage

What genres need more RPG coverage?

• I can't get enough of the fantasy genre!!!

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Science Fiction (e.g. Star Trek, Star Wars)

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Modern Horror

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Mystery

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Steampunk

• Cyberpunk

• History

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Time Travelling

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
Western RPG ? ... Hm, yes, I've heard that this genre actually exists, but I've never played a game of this sort ... Sounds interesting, somehow.

From a visual standpoint, certainly steampunk... the only genre where visuals actually give me the chills.

@Alrik: I remember the Western p&p RPG named Lust in the Dust (a freebie coming with an RPG print magazine). It was fun.

@Cormac - forgive me if i'm confusing books but the one cormac mccarthy book i read was i believe blood meridian. it had a judge charcter correct? from what i played of the call of juarez demo it seemed like they took a large amount of inspiration from that book.

"Lust in the Dust" ? What a weird title ! ;)

History and steampunk for me, as long as I get to battle against technology.:)
I agree that the fantasy genre has become nothing but a stereotype, but hopefully games like The Witcher can prove it doesn't have to be that way.

I was watching development of a game years ago called, I think, The Fatherland, which was supposed to be set in medeival Europe and have absolutely no magic, no magical swords, no wizards, just actual historical conflict. I don't believe it ever came out, though.

@Cormac - forgive me if i'm confusing books but the one cormac mccarthy book i read was i believe blood meridian. it had a judge charcter correct? from what i played of the call of juarez demo it seemed like they took a large amount of inspiration from that book.

Yes, that's the one, with the immortal Judge. Now I just have to try Call of Juarez.

I'd love to see more cyberpunk. Multinational mega corporations, augmentations, goverments collapsing, secret societies, Psi-monks, post-humanism, cyborgs,...you know the stuff :) And if someone would make a bladerunner rpg,...

I hope thoose who want History checked out Lionheart. :)

Nope. The only titles I've tried are Darklands (sort of history based, set in 15th c Germany with alchemy, folklore, and saints comprising the fantastical stuff, so no magic per se), and Lost Dutchman Mine (which isnt really an RPG but was fun as hell).

As for the steampunk genre I recall 1889 (never got it to run properly on my too fast PC, but the setting is cool), and Arcanum. These genres are really underused.

I voted science fiction, except I don't really want any more games like KotOR. Games like buck rogers, megatraveller and starflight is more what I am interested in.

I'm with you 100% on that. I would love to see more games in the vein of those you mentioned. It's been a long time since we've seen games like that. I suppose Space Rangers II is a bit like starflight (just a bit), but starflight was so much better (IMO).

I doubt that we will see any sci-fi RPG games like those, but it would be great!

Nope. The only titles I've tried are Darklands (sort of history based, set in 15th c Germany with alchemy, folklore, and saints comprising the fantastical stuff, so no magic per se), and Lost Dutchman Mine (which isnt really an RPG but was fun as hell).

Lionheart is pretty much rewritten history, kinda like World of Darkness is for Vampire except it's based on medieval times. You run into people like Machiavelli, Michelangelo, Nostradamus, Jean D'Arc etc in typical Black Isle fashion. The game engine has it's flaws (the combat is like Diablo and companions feels stupid) but the story is ok.

*snip*
never got it to run properly on my too fast PC
*snip*

I recently read about a program which seemingly can slow down the speed in modern Windows systems.

Its name is (according to the magazine "PC Welt") "CPU Speed Adjuster, and is available from www.adrianboeing.com

As for the steampunk genre I recall 1889 (never got it to run properly on my too fast PC, but the setting is cool)
Oh, there was a PC game for Space:1889? I GMed this one for a p&p campaign. Game mechanics were so simple it hurt, and the setting was grand. I also remember illustrating a 1889 review for a p&p gaming magazine once.

Oh, there was a PC game for Space:1889? I GMed this one for a p&p campaign. Game mechanics were so simple it hurt, and the setting was grand. I also remember illustrating a 1889 review for a p&p gaming magazine once.

Space: 1889 wasn't a bad game, but it wasnt' great. It got so-so reviews as I recall, but I enjoyed it. You can check out a bit about it with some screen shots at:

Space 1889 at Moby Games

Back
Top Bottom