Mythos

zyklop

Watchdog
Fall 2006 Flagship Studios announced a test rpg for the upcoming Hellgate:London multiplayer part, called mythos. Now they started the official website.
It seems to be a Diablo-like rpg - no surprise, because most of the Flagship guys are the "reborn" Blizzard North team.
But "Mythos" is announced for free download - that´s very interesting, not so many rpg´s are for free, especially from a well known team with high quality standards.

What´s your opinion - will it be worth a closer look ? ;)

Welcome to our forum! :)

Mythos didn´t really happen on RPGWatch so far, thus the lack of discussion.
I think it´s quite interesting to give away a Diablo clone for free to stabilize the technology. Maybe it will be rather low on content to keep the budget under control, but it´s quite unlikely Flagship would release something which is not at least on the better end of average. They want to establish Hellgate as a premium brand after all.
Later on they´ll probably find a way to create value out of Mythos. Maybe release content packs for a few bucks or bundle it with Hellgate for people who ordered directly through their official download service, etc.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Flagship has definitely further plans for Mythos - because they registered domains in different countries for this brand, for Germany (my HQ) it´s www.mythos-game.de
So i think it´s not planned only as a "fire-and-forget-title"... ;)

Little interest here. I quite like a good action/RPG but I'm only interested offline and there are plenty of those. I believe the lead on this project is Travis Baldree (FATE), so it will be well made. My partner Kayla has spent countless hours with FATE, but won't be interested in going online with a partial payment system and the system reqs won't suit her aging laptop.

This also has to compete with Dungeon Runners from NCsoft.

My partner Kayla has spent countless hours with FATE, but won't be interested in going online with a partial payment system and the system reqs won't suit her aging laptop.

Where did you get the info about a "partial payment system" ?
According to the infos available, this game will be a test platform für the Hellgate multiplayer part and will be distributed without any fees. Did you get futher infos about a payment system ? Would be interesting to know.

The latest Flagship interview suggests that Mythos will have some money-making capacity separate from promoting Hellgate: London, though nothing more specific than that (e.g., nothing about micropayments).

I'm participating in the Alpha right now, and there has been no indication so far what the business model might be. So far Mythos has been a lot of fun, but it's clearly in an alpha stage. Despite that, the engine is very polished, and plays smoothly on a computer that's a couple years old. Mythos is an interesting combination of Diablo and Fate, with some new things thrown in as well.

The community over at http://mythos.incgamers.com has been posting a lot of news and alpha tidbits there. And you can also find a link the the interview I referred to above.

The news I´ve read also indicated Mythos will be free "for now" and they´ll find a way to monetize it later. Which is perfectly fine.

Sounds like drugs. First shots are always free.

Hahahaha, a classic response!! :)

I couldn't find anything specific so perhaps I just read into some of their comments. It does seem obvious to me they will monetise it somehow, which is fine - they have every right to do so.

There's a bit of info in this interview from Firingsquad (sorry if it's been posted already):

FiringSquad: Will the game be free to download and play or will there be a fee involved in playing Mythos?

Phil Shenk: Yes! It will be free to download and play. We want as many people as possible playing Mythos and having fun. Anyone will be able to play the game free, for as long as they like, and have access to most of the game’s content. Beyond that, we’re still considering economic models. We have some ideas, but one thing we know for sure is that we are committed to a significant free-to-play model. We want for lots of people to have fun playing this game, and we think the best way to do that is to offer up a huge chunk of it for free.

That's the one. It's pretty obvious they'll develop a microtransaction (or similar) model. Unlike a lot of people, I have no problem with microtransactions but I'm not interested in online play and can get "standard" Diablo clone action easily elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom